Saturday, December 23

Curse You, Dough Boy!

Miss Emily was sound asleep in my arms. Her weight had settled fully into the pull of gravity. I probably could have tossed her into the air and she wouldn't have stirred. And just as I began to think it might be safe to move, that awful Pillsbury flaky biscut commercial came on. The one with the poor doughboy trudging through, what is that, the Alps? Just to bring us flaky biscuits in a can? Isn't there an easier way? Ah, but it's not him, per se, it's the music. The Ride of the Valkyries comes through the speakers, straight to her ears. Without moving any other muscles, her eyes pop. wide. open.

Game over.

She loves that piece.

This is probably why I normally read instead of watching TV at night. Where is the clicker, anyway?

So, the TV is off now. She's back to sleep. The boys are down. Zorak is down in the basement, doing something constructive. I'm trying to pep talk myself into doing some sewing before heading to bed. (It may, or may not work. Honestly? It's all dependent upon whether Zorak comes up in time to watch a movie with me. Without commercials.)

We got a lot done today. Just a little baking and cleaning left to do tomorrow. That's a nice feeling. Oh, and groceries. OK, and I guess I should admit now that when I bought stocking stuffers, I didn't get any for Miss Emily. She's not getting an entire sock full of sweets (can you imagine the contact high, alone?). She'd only eat tape and batteries, which is what we're putting in the boys' stockings. So, what do you put in a stocking for an almost-one-year old? She's got to have *something* or the boys will forever hold a grudge against Santa (and, by default, me, once the cat's wholly out of the bag). I'm tellin' ya, this is why we only have them one at a time. The learning curve is STEEP.

Ooo, he's up! And he comes bearing what looks like a toy shelf, ready to be assembled. WooHoo! (He also said he'd turn the plans into a .jpg so I can blog the directions. Yay!) I'm gonna go watch a movie! erm, um, sew... and watch a movie. :-)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

mere said...

Sarah Jane has a horsey toy in her stocking and that's it. It's Benjamin who is really lacking...although he is technically getting just as many goodies as everyone else. All of his stuff is too big to fit. Sarah will probably be all over her brother's toys (and the wrapping paper and the the ribbons) and won't even notice her stocking! Have you had trouble keeping Emily away from your tree?

Funny, our clicker is missing too. I think it grew little chubby legs and walked off...

Anonymous said...

How about some teething biscuits, toddler friendly fruit snacks (Gerber) or other finger friendly foods. A new hair bow? A bib? I know you can come up with something!

Dy said...

Mere, chubby little toddler legs? Yep, probably. Emily is all over the tree - she stands up at the biggest present and just gazes at all the ornaments and lights. I don't think I have ever seen a child so enchanted by a tree. She's reorganized the gifts a few times, but hasn't torn any open yet. And the boys only put up the wooden and plastic ornaments this year, so we wouldn't have to worry about her launching glass bombs.

Heather - ok, other than the hair bow, yeah. Obviously, I just needed a jump start. Thank you!! *smooch*

Dy

Anonymous said...

Oooh! Plans for a toy shelf! I would take that as a fine holiday gift. (And, of course, more projects is just what we need.)
I liked those floppy bean bag animals with rubber teether feet that Walmart carries (or used to carry) for baby stockings, or a Boo Boo Bunny (we lost both of ours after the freezer contents went funky after one of the hurricanes). I'm a sucker for the baby toys sections in Walmart, Target, and Toys-R-Us -- the area near the Platex bottles (boy, would I love to be shopping there for my own baby!). Enjoy that heavy armful!

Anonymous said...

Baby B is getting sippy cups in his stocking and under the tree. ;-) That is pretty much all he needs. Right now he is using pink ones! :-0

Anonymous said...

I can't send you an email for some reason, so I'll just try here. :) Merry Christmas to you and yours, Dy. May you have a blessed Christmas and New Year.