Saturday, April 30

Blogging on the Floor

So, moving day +2 comes to an end. The big news: we have a truck! We have somebody to clean the carpet for less than the cost of a new kidney! I am sitting on the floor because all our furniture is sitting in the parking lot! WOOHOO!

The move, or rather the ramifications of moving, have begun to hit John. He doesn't want a new church - our church is perfectly fine. He doesn't want new friends - his friends are wonderful. He doesn't want to fish in the pond - he wants to fish in the river. *sigh* Poor little guy. He is adrift. He is, for the first time in his memory, fully experiencing limbo. That has to be hard, and in spite of our strong drive to comfort him and reassure him that all will be well, our efforts fail. He isn't at the stage where he can be comforted. Right now he needs to know that he can be sad and we will still love him. He is learning that there are sad times that come, but with it he will learn that happiness comes again, bolstered by warm memories and new dreams.

These things are easy to know on the upside of 30 years experience. They're not quite so easy to grasp when you're not quite five. So he's up and running and joyful. Then he is tearful and lost. He is boisterous and loving, only to find himself bolting headlong into the brick-hard wall of fear moments later. This requires a lot of love, and the ability to just "be there" and "love him through it". We can't fix it, because nothing is really broken; it's not easy, but it's not wrong at all.

The boys spent the afternoon with the neighbors, playing board games and blowing bubbles. One of the other neighbor families came over a little later in the day with their precious little guy (he's just a few months younger than Smidge). Some of the guys from Zorak's work graciously volunteered their manly back muscles for the less thrilling job of lifting and loading. We ordered Chinese in and had the official BBQ. It was a great evening and all three boys were out cold before their heads hit the pillows. So was Zorak's. He's a tired Daddy.

I've got a few things to tend to on the computer, then I think I'll treat myself to catching up on some favorite blogs before I *gasp* unplug the computer and box it up. We'll most likely leave Monday, after the carpet cleaning guy comes and we finish the walk-through. So, when I blog again, we'll be in Alabama! Be safe, and enjoy your week.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

9 comments:

Staci Eastin said...

Oh, no. This means it could be several days before you blog again.

::sigh::

It's SO hard on me when my favorite bloggers move and then don't blog for days on end. I mean, I know you're busy reconstructing you lives and comforting children and all that, but there are people out there waiting to read how you're doing!

No, seriously, be safe and have a great move! :o)

Julie D. said...

Poor John ... I feel for him ... and for you watching him figure out this adjustment.

I hope that's the worst that y'all go through ... and that everything else goes well. Can't wait to hear all about it later! :-)

Patty in WA or Rover said...

Travel safe, my friend. We will uphold you in prayer. I love the prayer for "traveling mercies"--meaning, you can find food, a potty, a bed when you need it and you will be safe.

Patty in WA or Rover said...

Travel safe, my friend. We will uphold you in prayer. I love the prayer for "traveling mercies"--meaning, you can find food, a potty, a bed when you need it and you will be safe.

Crissy said...

I'm so sorry John is taking this so hard. I can only imagine what it must be like to leave everything behind. Poor guy!

Wishing you all safe travels. We will be praying for a smooth trip and a comfortable transition into your new home.

Crissy

Tenniel said...

Travel safe Dy,

Hugs to you and the kids after moving 6 times in 5 years with small kids I know how you are feeling. You will be in our prayers here.

When you are all settled be sure to check out the new homeschool bloggers support group at google and join when you have more time!

Peace,
Tenn

J-Lynn said...

Poor John. I know he'll be right as rain as soon as you find that library with some neat kids in it. ;-) I know he'll adjust quickly.

Hugs to you, I will call you back when I don't think I'll hurl in mid-sentence, k? lol

I love you!

Emily said...

We wish you a wonderful and safe trip with...dare I say...no car troubles! LOL!!
Give all the boys hugs from us. Give sweet John a few extra! It is hard dealing with change at that age (sometimes any age) but soon he will be bounding around Alabama having the time of his life!
Cheers and "keep it in the middle of the road" (drive safe).

Laney said...

Oh rats! Wish I had commented sooner, now you won't recieve my well wishes for a safe trip until you are already there!

Anyway, be safe! You are a wonderful mom who,I know,will help those little guys adjust in no time at all.

Laney