Monday, April 11

School Is Out. Cuz, you know, we're moving!

It's official. As of today, we're on some sort of morbid spring break. I don't worry so much about whether the boys will be learning: I couldn't stop that process if I tried. What I'm worried about is whether I'll ever find the boxes with the books I need once we get there. They all look alike to me. I know, they're marked, but still, cardboard just looks like, well, cardboard, after a while. It starts to blend together, and it'll be mighty difficult to convince the boys that Zorak's old college books are "just what I was looking for!"

Oh. Just had a thought. Can you imagine Zorak opening a box of reference material in his new office and pulling out Prima Latina and The Writing Road to Reading? hee hee. OK, that was the laugh I needed. Gonna tuck that visual away for future use.

The boys did not behave so strangely today. I did not behave like quite the high-strung speed freak today. In all, much was accomplished, including time spent together, on the couch, reading cute stories and telling tall tales. I need a talking cricket to throw hammers at, erm, listen to, from time to time. That's the good stuff. I didn't get many boxes packed because I had "helpers" taping and cutting and marking for me, but that's okay. I can buy new socks. I can't go back in time and say, more often, "Sure! I'd love some help!"

Someday I will wish I could. Someday I will look back at the times I was too busy to let them help, and will feel the pain of having not understood at all. But not from today! Today's memory will be of smiling boys, being helpful and feeling like a part of it all. Today's memory will be of John singing "The Moving Song" while we worked together. Today's memory will be of Smidge sitting in an open box and the boys laughing hysterically at the mere suggestion of poking air holes in the box before we pack him up! Today's memory will be of James and his enthusiastic monologue on the sheer possibilities (flailing his kabob around while he talked) still untapped in brain surgery!

And today is our anniversary. Zorak got me more boxes. *goofy grin* I love that man! And I, for my gift, am following him to the ends of the earth (and part way back). Because I love him, and because I'd rather be traipsing around anywhere with him than to be anywhere else without him. This is the good stuff, and what makes it all worth doing.

I'll leave you with John's moving song:
"Oh, moving is fun!
It's fun, so fun!
Moving is ever so fun, fun, fun!
Yeah. Yeah. YEAH!"


Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Thom said...

I have only ever moved myself. I can't imagine moving 4 other people's stuff AND having kids there to "help".

You are a veritable wellspring of patience and understanding with those young'uns. I wish more parents were as far seeing and laid back as you are with your little guys.The world would inevitably be a better place!

I laughed out loud about the book mix-up thing. Very funny!

Emily said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Take it from a person who has moved 7 times in the 6.5 years I have been married (no, we are not in the military)...Moving can be fun. Keep your sites set on the new adventures ahead. The boxes will get packed, no they will not be organized and labled, especially the ones packed near the end, but all of the stuff you need will get to your new destination. Anything you may leave behind...well...you didn't need anyway! :)

J-Lynn said...

Hey, I had a thought Dy! Why don't you get stickers and crayons and bright markers and let the boys decorate the school box(es). That will give them something fun to do while you pack and make it so there's no way you'll mistake that box! ;-)

I'm SO excited for you!!!!!!!

J-Lynn said...

PS. I'm working on those field trips!

http://www.arkarts.com/

http://www.rivermarket.info/Riverfront_Park.html

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/parks/park.asp?id=3

;-)

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

Libby said...

Happy anniversary!!!

I second everyone else's impressed-ness that you can find joy in the middle of an unpleasant job like moving. I hope your new home is even more joyful.

L said...

Happy Anniversary, Dy!

Enjoy the day, and enjoy your classic moving adventure.

Curious about the house hunting end of it (naturally!) Settling in first and then looking or has Z had a chance to scout out the area in advance? Fun, fun, fun!

melissa said...

Happy Anniversary!!
Yeah, I am totally impressed. And don't forget, letting them see your "speed freak" side once in awhile, will prepare them for dealing with other women later in life!

CarolynM said...

Happy Anniversary! (mine's next week--#30!!!)

I heard about a family who packed all their currently-used homeschooling stuff in a big RED suitcase, making it easier to spot among the boxes.

My favorite moving day Whoops-story was done by my Mom a few years ago. She lost the box containing her underwear. After a few days of faithfully washing out her 1 pair every night, she made a trip to the store and bought some new undies. I don't know if she ever did find the missing box -- lots of things went to the trash during the packing process!