Wednesday, April 6

3... 2... 1...

BLASTOFF!!!

Zorak and the boys launched the rocket yesterday. The mere vibe of "something happening" brought every child within a one-mile radius. The crowd was good-sized by the time they had it all set up. The anticipation was high on the maiden voyage. Pump it up. Pull the release. And the launch response was delayed by about 5 seconds... then...

WHOOSH!

The little soda bottle with the bright yellow paper fins and nose cone shot straight into the air, cleared the peak of the townhouses as quick as quick, and landed gently on the grass, all to the delighted squeals of children.

Followed by the delighted, but somewhat stunned, squeals of a few children who happened to be in what was quickly deemed "The Wet Zone".

Oh. Yes, if you fill a 2 liter bottle half-full with water, pressurize it, and shoot it into the air, well, the water does come spraying out, drenching the bystanders. I can't believe none of us thought of that ahead of time. Unexpected bonus.

Every child who showed up had a turn to use the pump, yank the cord, and re-fill the bottle. Everybody took turns and there were no incidents. It was a good hour's worth of clean, fun, supervised activity. The children had a great time. The adults had a great time (we hung out, visiting and laughing with/at the children - they were so cute!)

I'll see if I can get the directions from Zorak if anyone would like to wow their neighborhood children with a relatively inexpensive, fun "science project". (I thoroughly appreciate not being involved in the crafty end of science. I'll read it with them, but Zorak can build it with them. This, my friends, is symbiosis at its best!)

Today we're planting grass, packing linens, and enjoying a pot luck at Bible Study. Should be another lovely day.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! You remembered it was Wednesday! Have a fun day. Congratulations on Zorak's job, and your move. I still remember that knowing you were moving too helped get me through this one! Good luck to you all.
LB

CarolynM said...

Hmmm.... pop bottle rockets.... I LOVE the idea! My husband had some small rockets that worked on the same principle, but were shot off from your hand. Definite Wet Zone!!!

I had our homeschool group kids make rockets with empty film canisters and powered with Alka-Seltzer tablets. I'm planning to put the directions on my website eventually. (Now I have to be accountable to that!)

Thom said...

How fun!! I'll bet the kids were SO excited! You guys are like the "cool" parents in the neighborhood, aren't you? I know your neighbors are going to miss you!

Yes, definitely post the directions for that project. :0)

L said...

And nobody lost an eye? Excellent! We'll have to give it a try!

Laney said...

Oh!! How much fun is that??? My guys would go nuts over exploding bottles. Sounds like y'all had fun.
Laney

knitcroweave said...

yes please post directions for rochet as my boys would love to do it also