Wednesday, April 13

Baby Steps and Backups: Getting Out 'n About

Did I mention we're moving? Yeah, that's nice. Our plans for today changed, for the better, so today was productive! (Er, mostly.)

Hair cuts for the boys. John can grow a lot of hair. No wonder that child is always hot. It was like watching a sheep shearing! I do like the haircut process, though. There's a certain amount of autonomy for the children: I can't be still for them, I can't take the cut for them, and at some point I won't be able to tell them how to get it cut. With each trip to that big chair, a child takes on just a little more responsibility. Rites of passage in bite-sized bits. That's the kind a mama can handle.

All three boys behaved most excellently while we were there. They are generally top-notch on excursions like this, but that does not diminish the quiet joy I get from seeing it happen again. Yes, I do appreciate it. It does offer up a certain amount of vindication for the looks of concern (doubt?) I receive when I enter a room with three small children in tow. Generally, the conversation goes something like this:
*We enter room. Every childless adult in the room turns to stare at us.*
Someone, anyone: He he. You've got your hands full, there, don't ya?
Me: *toussling one of the kids on the head* Oh, I wouldn't know what to do without them!
*this is where I get the stare. It's the stare that says, "You should have been committed two pregnancies ago, Sweetheart." But nobody says anything. Usually it's just the disbelieving eyebrow lift and a pitiful smile.*

So, yes, when we've waited nearly an hour and leave half an hour after that, and the boys receive cheerful, engaging responses from the folks while we're there, it feels kind of nice. When the folks who leave before us take the time to stop and say, "You've got some great kids, there." It's uplifting.

And it's also nice for the boys to see the direct and immediate result of their behavior on the reactions of others. They get to see, consistently, the difference between adults who expect poor behavior and are pleasantly surprised vs. adults who see the poor behavior they're expecting. In a world that seldom offers much to backup the things we teach the boys at home, it's encouraging and refreshing.

Anyhow, Zorak suggested perhaps we could just get Smidge on the grid in AL rather than here. So I checked, and we can. Yippee! (Yes, I just said "yippee" to the suggestion that I will spend time in the gub'ment office in AL... the point being, they have an office IN Huntsville and not a one-hour drive from wherever I'm going to be.)

The rest of the day was just general fare: had the tranny checked out, bought more coffee at the market (can you believe we ran out?), sorted through more stuff, enjoyed supper, and now am ready to do a little more packing.

I packed... nothing today. No, wait, I packed two boxes today. Must make up for it tomorrow, though, but it was worth it.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Laney said...

LOL, DY! I get that too, "Heh,heh, three boys!" My boys have always been great about haircuts. The girl that cuts their hair owns the salon and one day we were there during ps hours. She casually asked,"no school today?" John happily says we are homeschooled. She gave me the "ooohhh, how's that going?" I asked for the bean dip! When she was done with the boys, whose behavior was exceptionally steller, she said, "well h.s. is working for you, you kids are terrific!" I floated out of there. I love breaking stereotypes, LOL!

Laney

Thom said...

Yes, you do have great kids. I probably never said anything (cause I'm just goofy like that sometimes) but, they made a real impression on me at Thangksgiving. It's not often I meet young'uns who are as well behaved and yet careferee as the ones my sisters are raising.That's a major compliment.

I know I'm a mere non-parent but, I'd say you guys are doing something seriously right in the raising of your children. Keep up the good work!

"on the grid". That's a riot

Anonymous said...

Ha. It is weird how people stare at you when you have more than two kids, isn't it? I know this from the times I babysit my neighbor's daughter in addition to having my two. Suddenly the air feels more hostile when we enter stores.

Glad your guys behave so well. Mine wiggle a lot and ask so many questions and often whine publically and...I try not to worrry about it and yet still expect good behavior.

There is a hair salon in a suburb nearby that has a sign on the door which says "Children are not permitted unless they are being serviced" Someday I'm going to take my kids in there for a haircut!
Kim of Relaxed Homeskool

Dy said...

Wow, Thom, thank you. That is so sweet. And yes, a major compliment! M's children are wonderful. I hope that ours follow that path and are as pleasant to be around at 13 and 11, too. Thanks. :-)

Kim, oh no- I didn't say they were quiet. LOL! James talked almost non-stop about inverting fractions and equivalent fractions, working it all out aloud. Smidge squatted down and looked under everything (why under? i have no idea) and growled at everything that moved (he thinks he's a scary monster, he even makes chomping teeth by holding his hands over his mouth)- although he stayed in our spot and didn't attack any unsuspecting bystanders. John rambled on and on about what he played "not this morning, but the one before it, when we had cereal for breakfast instead of oats". Yeah, they talk. A LOT. They get that from Zorak, I'm sure. ;-) I don't think children must be stoically silent in order to be wonderfully behaved. That's the joy of children. Hmmm, that's probably a blog topic, too... hmmm. I'll bet yours are a joy- you enjoy them too much for them not to be!

Dy

melissa said...

OHhhhhhhh.......So you didn't GO to the Gov.'t office. I see. Am I the only one who was uncomfortable with the happy tone of this blog at first? I was hoping that you weren't just covering up for the heinous crime that you had committed on some office personel there. All I can say is "Good Call Zorak!" Cuz this post would have looked A Lot different! I'm glad y'all had such a great day. Thanks for the compliments on my kiddos. The folks in 'Bama are just gonna love your little ones to pieces!

Anonymous said...

I'm curious what kind of coffee you drink. You obviously enjoy it.
Fittsy
Birmingham, AL

J-Lynn said...

Oh Dy - you don't know how bad I wish I could be there helping you pack and drinking that coffee!

I also expect those looks when we walk in public also. And like you, I am vindicated when we've changed their stereotype - one family at a time. But the very best is when one of my children are misbehaving, and a stranger STILL says they are great...LOL Thankfully, as my strong-willed child is getting older, these times are getting further and further between. ;-)

Kim said...

Oh, how I long for the days when haircuts were simple procedures. I fight with my boys about hair...not a battle I want to die over, but I miss the sheep shearing days.