Sunday, April 3

Self-Educating, a Few Things

Some folks feel self-educating is akin to self-medicating; to be avoided at all costs. Some things should be administered only by a trained professional.

What a shame.

I'm not saying that if you've never known the pain-free, loopy bliss of overdosing, ever-so-slightly, on codeine, you're missing out...

I am suggesting, however, that if you haven't quit saying, "Oh, I've always wanted to read/write/study/learn *insert object of star-crossed didactic desire here*," and taken up said desire, well, yeah, you're missing out. Get on it. It's better than codeine, in any dosage. Contrary to popular belief, it's also much more beneficial.

That said, there are a few pointers I'd like to share with you. These are things I've gleaned as I've begun to lay a better foundation for my own educational experiences throughout life. (Yep, "throughout". It's an ongoing process now, Baby! WOOHOO!) *ahem*

Ok, well, anyhow, just a few things I've noticed...

Thing 1
There is a general bulk of work that is recognized as the "basics" for developing a firm understanding of your cultural heritage in Western Civilization. If you were publicly educated in the US, odds are good that you either (A) have never heard of some of these books, (B) vaguely remember some teacher suggesting you read them, but you aced the test anyway so never bothered, or (C) stumbled through an in-class read-aloud of something similar by somebody with a name that sounded like that but you don't remember much except that Jason Q. in the third row couldn't pronounce half the words and you fell asleep by the second paragraph.

Do you know what that means? It means that many of the books you are going to start reading now are not going to be found in the grown-up section of the library. They're "juvenile fiction", and they're over there in the kids' section of the library.

This might bother you. It might not. I've had to get so many from there already that the teens in that corner no longer give me a look that says, "You look so young to have a teenager!" (Or perhaps they were thinking, "I haven't seen her in English class. What's up with that?" I don't know.) If it does bother you, though, you can always just put the book on hold and pick it up at the desk. Or better yet, mumble to yourself as you browse the titles, "What was that book she wanted me to pick up for her?" Eh. Either way, don't miss out on some of those titles. There's a reason we should have read them in jr. high and high school, but there's no reason not to read them now!

Thing 2
Some of the subject matter of these books you'll be reading will really wow you, and leave you thinking, "Why didn't they let us read this in high school?" My guess is that either there's a furiously stringent censorship committee at work where you went to school, or there are very few English teachers who want to spend half their time stifling the fits of giggles that ensue from some of the older vocabulary. Nonetheless, the themes, the topics, and the phenomenal writing are well, well worth the read.

Thing 3
Your spouse may, or may not, become as enamored with this journey of self-education as you will. That's ok. You can either find some like-minded individual with whom to engage in detailed analysis and discourse over your recent reading, or you can follow your spouse around, shouting excerpts through the bathroom door and demanding commentary from him/her on whatever you've just shared before you will allow said loved one out of the bathroom.

How you handle this is, obviously, entirely your call.

Thing 4
Vocabulary. Vocabulary. Vocabulary. Get a dictionary. Use Dictionary.com. Don't be shy. Ask for pronunciations. You are not alone. Most of us don't know, either, but we can find out. The point is to rectify the Not Knowing.

I hope this comes across as the encouragement I mean it to be. This isn't preaching. This is just a booster shot of, "YAY YOU! Come on! Raise that bar! RAH RAH RAH!"
Don't lose your sense of humor.
Don't take yourself too seriously.
And don't be too hard on yourself.
If you are moving, that's good, If you're moving forward, so much the better. You can break free of the "I've always wanted to, BUT" syndrome. It's not as difficult as it may seem. (And if you spent the 80's in anything near the self-effacing denial of intellect that I did, I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that it's not nearly as difficult or "dumb" as you convinced yourself it was in sophomore humanities class.)

Anyhow, Zorak has a chile cookoff tomorrow, so he's making the kitchen smell yummy. The boys are crashed in their room (Smidge happily spread out on his teeny-tiny big-boy bed). I'm going to curl up with a good book and enjoy a quiet evening.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am with you on this. I have always wanted to be a professional student, yet would never be able to afford it, I decided that I would create my own education. I have started reading "Don Quixote", which I remember having to read parts of in HS, but not enjoying. I am 2/3 of the way through and totally enjoying. It is amazing how many statements are pertinent to today, 500 years after it was written.

Thanks, get blog to come home to.

Amy

Thom said...

Inspiring blog! You're so cool. Thanks! :0)
For the last few years, I've been sort of stumbling along through the "classics" of literature that my high school/college educators seem to have just skimmed through or passed up all together (or I was snoring through class and didn't pick up on them, heh-heh). Maybe it's time I go ahead and make the extra effort not to just stumble, but to really be organized and get everything out of these writings that I can.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dy,
THe best book I have read in the past six months is "A Year With Miss Agnes". The tale of an Alaskan Bush teacher in the 1930's or so in a one room school house. Found it while looking for books for my third grader. The librarian recommended it as a read aloud because she knows my son loves all things Alaska. I try to pre-read any read alouds to figure out where I need to explain things more, or have answers handy to the questions I anticipate my boys might ask. I started the book and didn't stop reading for the entire night until finished....like 2:30 am. The main character is such a charming, thoughtful teacher and human to boot! What a joy to find this book. I highly recommend it and it, like so much great literature, is found in the pre-teen section of your local library. 2 thumbs up for terrifc thoughtful librarians and good literature for kids (and adults) to read!
Take Care and thanks for the thoughtful post.
Nerni

Anonymous said...

Sooo...What are you reading?
Me? Watership Down. And it's wonderful.
I took a few months off from my own studies. I was overwhelmed. Mom does, indeed, have breast cancer, and is not, under any circumstances, seeking treatment. For now she's feeling good, and I'm learning to cope with the reality. I'm also learning how to get on with my stuff.
Your post is very timely, and I thank you.

Crissy

Anonymous said...

That is always the 1st question I get;

"So, you have your degree in teaching then. Right?"


I feel like saying. "No, I have one beter.... I'm a MOM!"

LOL