Thursday, April 14

Moving Day -whatever's left

See? I told ya NASA wouldn't hire me. :-)

We've hit that point where, unless we can put the boys in the storage closet out back, or box them up and stack them, we really need to get some stuff out of the house before I can make much more headway. Small children emit stuff in their trails. They can even leave a trail of things you thought you'd packed. Honest. It's amazing.

We have more stuff coming in first, though. The Storage Folks are bringing our stuff tomorrow. Yes, this is stuff I have not seen or touched for a year and a half. No, I probably don't need it. I know. How decadent of us. The swingset will be nice, however, and I'm glad we'll have it for the boys to play on in the backyard we will have in AL. That alone is worth the rest of the stuff.

I do think we'll have a full haul, though, and aside from the miscellany of actually living in the place while we pack, it's lookin' good! Woo. Hoo.

I think we have a place to stay for the week. Will have a place to stay for a month by the end of that week. Then, if the Good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise, we'll soon buy the place on which Zorak and I will die happily and peacefully one fall afternoon in the far-far(-far!) future, hot on the trail of a deer. That, my friends, is a wonderful feeling.

****

On other fronts:
* Smidge took a header on the sidewalk this afternoon and is once again wearing "The Mark of the Toddler" smack dab in the middle of his forehead.

* The boys spent the afternoon doting on the neighbor's little ones. It was so cute. It also allowed me to do a little uninterrupted packing. Very nice.

* Oh! Before I forget! I bought The Red Fairy Book (another wonderful unabridged Dover Thrift edition!) the other day at Bay Books and have been reading the stories with the boys in lieu of "school". Now, I grew up on Disney and the incredibly distanced version of stories it perpetuates. I knew nothing. The most unsettling points of contention usually involved the unseen, unexperienced death of a mother (seemingly a fave for the Disney folks- Freud would have a field day with them!) But I digress...

James responded so enthusiastically to the original Pinocchio, though, that I've been sucked in hook, line and sinker. Still, it's a little unsettling to be reading along when suddenly the rescue of the baby involves cutting off one of its little fingers! EGADS! Erk. Ack. Stutter. Stumble. I think the boys paid more attention to my seizure-like attack than they did to the cause of it, though, because they've asked for me to read the "Red Fairies Book" again and again. Once you get past the slightly jarring points (which, really, aren't bad- they lend themselves to good discussions of whether it's a worthwhile trade; a finger for a life - and whether there were any other options at the time... a lot of this is in how you handle it. Like life.) anyway, the stories are wonderful. The boys are entranced. I am tickled. There ya have it - a book review amidst the boxes!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Laney said...

Dy,
That fairy book sounds great!!

I read in my comments that you almost met Ann Coulter! Wow! How awesome would that have been. I think I have a better chance of meeting you before I meet HER!! LOL, not that meeting you wouldn't be wonderful!

Keep on truckin' with the packing and everything!!

Laney

J-Lynn said...

I don't think my town believes in sidewalks so Isabelle has remained pretty scrape-free so far. lol

Cool book - I've been reading them a lot of the original fairy tales and mythology and Aesop Fables (ambleside has a good list) as well and it really is surprising sometimes what you come across. But, WE do notice it way more than them. I think it's great life lessons too.

Hugs, it's getting close! I can't wait to come visit one day and have that Sun Tea on your front porch! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Sandra really likes The Blue Fairy book when we get it from the library. So when I saw that a paperback version was part of TAnglewood's Gr1 pack, and that they schedule the fairytales for me, it certainly helped tip me towards ordering the set. Which I did. Can't wait to start!

Good luck with the move!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Jeffrey is a big fan of fairy tales. We've paid some pretty hefty fines for those Fairy books. I wasn't aware of the Dover editions. Maybe I can find a couple for his birthday next month.

I am so impressed with your packing skills! I've moved twice in my life...I don't know how you women do it!

Di said...

These fairy tale stories are my favorite thrift store find EVER. I even yelled out something embarrassing and unintelligable...and probably danced around. Eight volumes for $3.00 - WOO HOO.

Dy, I will keep your family in my prayers as you keep on packing, moving, moving, unpacking.

Take care,
Diane