Saturday, October 7

Recovery Day

Today was supposed to be the day we recovered from the trip. It turned into the day we recovered from the day itself.

Naturally, we all slept in far later than is healthy, and so our day began part way through from the start. The temperature was perfect for playing, pretending, and running... ah, running. Which leads to tumbling, it would seem.

James was playing on the swingset. John was on the front porch, working on a boat. Zorak busily foraging for something in the basement that might like to be a mast. I'd stretched out on the couch after lunch to see how long it would take the boys to find me and decide I looked way too lonely. The plan was that we'd snuggle up and watch a movie or read a story. Plans don't always pan out, though...

John came running around the corner into the basement, followed by a wail from Smidge that sent Zorak running. He cleared the corner, saw one shoe at the top of the hill and scanned the hill quickly for the child that should have been in it. There was Smidge, sprawled catawampus on the concrete at the bottom of the slope. He scooped him up and brought him inside. We both figured a few minutes with the boo-boo bunny and some snuggles would do the trick. Then we saw the blood. It was cascading down his back, his neck, his shoulders. Oy. Off to the tub to see if we could find the source, when...

James begins screaming and comes flying into the foyer, bleeding ferociously from the mouth. Zorak couldn't get him to calm down enough to find out if there was something IN his mouth, missing FROM his mouth, or even if it had anything to do with his mouth.

Meanwhile, back in the bathroom, the source of the blood turned out to be a one-inch gash on the top of Smidge's head. Too big for me to feel comfortable gluing. I know head wounds (much like mouth wounds) bleed rapidly and tend to look far, far worse than they are, but I could see bone and the kid has a lot of hair. I redressed him and handed him to Zorak to load into the car while I tried to get James calmed down.

James had gouged his cheek and lip in the corner. OK, crushed ice in a washcloth, leave it on until you can let Dad look at it, I love you, rinse with warm salt water if you can. *smooch* *hug* Off to the hospital with Smidge. Somehow, I didn't get the details, but Zorak briefed me, James flew from the swing, coming down on his knee. So the cheek seems to have been caught between teeth and bone. (OW.)

John went with us for moral support, since he'd had stitches in the very same hospital. Miss Em stayed with Zorak and James. The whole tag team thing is a real blessing at times like this!

Smidge was sweet, gentle, and patient. He told the ER staff his story with a quiet shyness (I rolled down the hill... My hill... At my house.) followed by a small, quirky little smiled that seemed to say, "Yes, yes, I know." The doctor felt that stitches were probably better, but that he could get the glue to do the trick. I overheard him telling the nurse (who had questioned his decision not to use stitches) that it would be a lot less traumatic and, in this case, that was worth it. They got him glued up without any trauma for any of us. What worried the doctor more than the gash was the 3" black and raspberry colored knob protruding from Smidge's forehead. He ordered x-rays to check for fractures. In came the nice x-ray tech, who led us to the room. Smidge smiled for the "pictures". The techs let John press the buttons. They showed the boys the x-rays. I'm not saying this is the best way to get behind-the-scenes a tour at the hospital, but it sure was nice of them to be so involved.

We made it home to find we had *cringe* company... and the house hadn't been cleaned or tidied since Wednesday. Zorak didn't have a heads up that they were coming (how embarrassing). They fixed our printer, and then stayed to make sure Smidgelet was okay. He was sleeping soundly, though, when we arrived, but awoke a bit later. James' mouth looks fine, except for a little purple, lumpy bit in the corner. He said he diluted his mouth wash "to a 50% solution" so it wouldn't hurt, but it did still hurt a little. He took it all in stride. Our company was gracious, and concerned about the little guys. We have just exhaled very slowly after the dust settled.

Smidge is sleeping peacefully now, and he's going to be sore tomorrow. But fine. These are the bumps and bruises life brings sometimes. In all, not too bad. But I think we'll stay home and make good on that snuggle and story time.

(*edited for clarity*)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

ang said...

oh no! Poor little guys. I hope they are all feeling better by now! Two out of four getting hurt isnt that bad, could have been worse and how cool the xray guy let the kids be involved and learn some new stuff.

Dy said...

Oh yes! I am so thankful Zorak didn't end up meeting us at the hospital! LOL!

This morning, Smidge is okay. A bit cautious, and he doesn't like the glue in his hair, but otherwise OK.

James has a blistery, bloddy thing on the inside of his lip that's about the size of a marble. It makes my elbows go tingly to see it, but he says it doesn't hurt. Yay.

And yes, the ER staff at this hospital is very good. Granted, we've only been twice, but both experiences were good, as far as the treatment and quality of the staff is concerned.

All's well in a house with this many boys. :-)

Amber said...

Oh my, what a day! I'm glad that the ER folks there are so nice and friendly... although I suppose it would be best if you never had to meet them. :-) Glad to read that everyone is doing ok today.

Meliss said...

Yikes! Your day made me feel shaky just reading about it. I'm glad the boys are okay!

Sophie came to me right before bed tonight with a red eye and a fat lip. My best guess is that she had an allergic reaction after sniffing a flower! I gave her benadryl, but her lip is still swollen, though she is asleep.

Anonymous said...

Well, now that I know all is well I can shake my head and laugh and await our next ER visit. ;)

It all comes from trying to lie on the couch, you know.