Sunday, October 22

Kind of different...

This has been the week for unexpected comments from strangers! None of them have been bad, per se, just... odd.

Comment #1:
While we were eating out last week, Zorak noticed that a couple of older, grandmotherly types were eyeballing the baby. Miss Emily was in good form, and so he took her over to say hello (much to the delight of said eyeballers). It seemed like such a routine exchange of pleasantries and reminiscences, until one of the ladies asked Zorak, "Are these all your grandchildren?"

*blink* *blink*

"What?"

"Your grandchildren, are they all yours?"

BWAAHAAHAAAA!!! (I can laugh. It wasn't me. This time.)

Maybe it's the beard.

Comment #2:
Then today, we were at the mall, trying to track down comforters for the boys. We paused at a stall which displayed blinking things. No, we didn't expect to find blankets there, but those lights -- they drew James like a staticky television will draw an unsuspecting little blonde girl. So, as he's staring into the light, the gentleman manning the booth and I struck up a conversation. All seems normal, when out of nowhere, he says, "Where are you from?"

(Side note: I hate this question. Around here, people mean, "Did you travel all the way from Priceville, or are you from here in town?" But this guy wasn't from here, his accent was faintly Mediterranean, with a bit of an Indian lilt to it. So I wasn't sure if he meant here-here, or around-here, here...)

In going with our Forever Home theme (This Is Home), I said we were from our little town. He cocked his head and asked, very slowly, the way some people will do when they think you're not quite proficient with the language, "But where are you from?"

Oh, well, we're from New Mexico. *smile* (OK, answered that one without looking like too much of an idiot. Meanwhile, James is still staring intently at the lights.)

But no, again with the question. This time, a bit more slowly. I just stared at him, because, frankly, I was no longer certain I understood his question properly. Finally, he says, "You're not European?"

When my laughter died down a bit, he explained that he thought for sure we were from the Netherlands, or perhaps Germany. Nothing he could pin down. We just "had that feel" about us.

Of course, he could have been from Texas, I guess. In the end, it doesn't really matter where we're from, as long as we can talk and visit and enjoy the interactions we have from day to day. And both conversations turned into delightful ones, in spite of their odd beginnings. I hope you have some delightful surprises in store for you this week!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How bizarre.

melissa said...

That is SO funny! I think I would have had to ask, what it was that made us seem.."european". I mean, was it how you were dressed? The way that you talked? What??
Now, You know that you will have to post a recent picture of Zorak. Seriously..I mean, what? is the beard down to his stomach? Ive seen Zorak, and I find that grandfather comment unbeleivable! LOL!

Anonymous said...

My mother got the grandmother comment all the time with my younger sibs, and she was only 31 when my youngest sib was born. Even worse was the number of times people though my little sister was MY baby, and I was all of thirteen at the time.

What's funny, though, is the situation with my nephew. He calls my sister "mama" and her husband "daddy." But instead of calling my mama "grandma," he calls her "mommy." So mama says she and my BIL (mid-twenties) get some really strange looks out in public with this child. :D

AARGH! Posting comments anymore is WORK. Google and blogger both suck green eggs and they should have had the sense to know that just because something is in BETA doesn't mean they had to leave ALL the stinkin' bugs.

Dy said...

KathyJo, we got it a lot when I was growing up, but my Dad was 66 when I was born. So that was a completely understandable mistake. (Sure did make him mad, though. LOL)

Um, sad thing is... I'm not using Beta yet. But I've noticed the original is having a lot more trouble in all areas. I think they're trying to force us into using Beta by frustrating us to the point of tears w/ the original. Sorry. :-(

Melissa, I'll see if I can get a recent shot of Zorak. I did ask him today if I can start referring to him as "The Old Man" on the blog. He was less than enthusiastic about that. Maybe it is the beard - it's not a goatee or a soul patch. It's not a "young guy's beard". Maybe that was it? Dunno.

Dy

Anonymous said...

Nah, it's because I've switched MY acount to beta that I'm having issues. :} It took me a week to figure out that my new "username" is not my old username, but my email address. *rolling eyes* Anyway, the word "Blogger" is definitely on my lips more often of late. I'm just not sure they'd appreciate the words that precede "Blogger" when I mention it. :D

mere said...

You know, even though my DH is almost totally grey, beard and all, he still gets carded ALL THE TIME! Granted, aside from the grey, he does wear the beard and hair in a "young guy" style, but I still think it's just plain weird.

Got your e-mail. James totally has your eyes! Thanks!

mere

Ernest said...

I get asked where I'm from all the time .. but people usually look like they're expecting me to name some distant planet.

Frankly, I think that since I grew a beard I look more distinguished ... in a homeless sort of way.

J-Lynn said...

ROFL@poor Zorak!!! Too funny! And he looks so young to me...

ROFL@European! I am asked where I'm from or rather "You 'aint from 'round here are ya?". I have taken to say "I live in &(*&(* but I was born and raised on Long Island, NY" that usually covers it all. ;-)

Hugs,
Jess