Tuesday, October 17

The Ew, er, Wow Factor

When you are eight or six or three, this is just a great way to spend an overcast autumn day...

It all started, as many things do when you have small children, with a discussion of maggots. What are they? Where'd they come from? How'd they get in the house? (Not my house, but that's only due to the butt-puckering fits I throw when I find smuggled "goodies" stashed in the recesses of closets.) Hmmm... a mystery!

Then someone shared a link... Acorn Larvae.

Well, you can guess what we've been doing since breakfast! The boys sought out nuts while the bread pudding baked. We ate, did math, history and Latin, and then, like three small shots, they were outta here. (I am stunned they did as much work as they did, truthfully.)

The stunning success factor rendered by dumping the nuts in water first (floaters are, or have been, inhabited) makes for a sensational day of learning. Yes, indeed.

I've got photos. I'll upload them when I'm not feeling quite so queasy... They're still at it. I can hear them, now. "This one's even BIGGER!" "Wow, there are two in this one." "Ewww, what's it doing?"

I'll haul them in for a snack here in a bit, and as always, kiss those babies (after they've washed up, right?)

Dy

10 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Oh gross. The things I have to look forward to with my little boys! :)

Melora said...

Wait a minute -- you have many discussions about maggots? I am So not a good science teaching mom! Our discussions about insects (and pre-insects) consist mostly of "Get Daddy! He needs to kill this, Now!" Although, we did raise butterflies once.

I love bread pudding.

mere said...

Dy, are they running in every five minutes to show you what they have found? That's what mine would be doing. Jacob brought in a tiny green stink bug a while ago. Apparently when I say "Do Not Bring Bugs Into The House" it comes out garbled, because they do not get it. Sounds fun! We are looking forward to pictures.

mere

melissa said...

Hey! Guess what we'll be doing tomorrow!?

Meliss said...

I couldn't help it...My first thought was to wonder WHAT they were snacking on! :P :)

My kids haven't "studied" maggots (yet), but they have observed ants carrying away termites (from a 2x4 out of our basement) to eat. Sigh.

Thanks for enjoying the pictures of Sophie over the years!

Becca said...

This is what you do with boys??? I'm in trouble. You are amazing!

Jules said...

LOL!!

We got our first maggot lesson when the dog dragged home some unidentifiable roadkill carcass. I still shudder when I think of it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, gross. Ick. Bleh.

LOL I'm with Melora-- our comments run toward the "Get the shoe!" variety. :D I even refuse to do silk worms again because they look like huge maggots, and they just gross me out.

Sorry, you just pushed my "girl" button. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh cool! I just saved the link for KJ (he's still in bed). I imagine we'll be outside all afternoon now.

Rebel

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's a great link! Our neighborhood is relatively new and they chopped down all the trees to build it, (so we have lots of shade during those absurdly hot summer months) but there are huge oaks at church, where we are going tonight. A bucket full of acorns will net all sorts of fun tomorrow!

We are growing an assortment of "found" caterpillars right now, ourselves.