Thursday, October 5

Good Thursday Morning!

I'd like to say we're all rested and recovered. But I don't want to lie to you. You don't even get a snappy title today. Miss Emily, for some reason unknown to us, and the Oracle of the Barn, decided last night would be a lovely night for a slumber party.
Oh, let's stay up until two, snacking and playing and chatting, shall we?
I finally just stuck her in her crib with a handful of honeycomb cereal, a soft toy and a bullhorn. Figured she could wake up Smidge and he could play with her, but I was done. Yes, we'll look back one day and miss having little ones in the house, but I do think I'll be rather content to miss them on a full night's sleep, anyway.

Smidge did survive. He fell asleep around five, and I just couldn't bring myself to wake him when we left for Pioneer Club. Zorak said he slept until about eight, and when the rest of us arrived back home, he was our normal, snuggly, happy little Smidge once again. He didn't even seem to begrudge us having gone without him.

And we survived Smidge. The day, in general, was pretty shot. We watched Dr. Doolittle, then watched Mary Poppins (twice), and finally the last half of The Sound of Music. The boys are convinced Dick Van Dyke is the coolest actor in the world - they already loved him from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but now, a singing chimney sweep? Oh, how cool is that!?

And today? Do you know what today looks like? Today will have a high of 89, which, while not what I'd call "sweater weather" (although, out of sheer denial, I have been known to don one anyway), is to be the last day near ninety for the next ten days. We have a gorgeous weekend ahead of temps in the mid-low 70's. I could do a jig! (Not literally, as I don't know how to jig, but technically I could give it a shot, since I wouldn't pass out from heat stroke. My cup is half full, and it has ice in it.)

We go to the Egypt exhibit tomorrow!! We're all looking forward to the outing. Zorak has, in true engineer fashion, printed off maps, located parking, and planned the technical details of the trip. (As opposed to my method of travel, which begins as we pull from the drive, with, "OK, so Nashville is North of us, right?" God loves me and gave me Zorak to keep me from spending eternity on some Interstate loop, looking for an unidentified exit.) The boys have spent hours considering whether there will be intestines in any of the canopic jars. And I'm still trying to tell the difference between XII Dynasty and XVIII Dynasty work. Aye, we be tourists! (Need batteries for the camera, now that I think of it.)

And now, we must be responsible people. Do our work, complete our chores (I doubt they'll sing A Spoonful of Sugar as we go, what do you thinK?), and run our errands. Yay! Bridget mentioned that they do have Easy buttons, so maybe we'll swing by Staples...

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

Navhelowife said...

I am so jealous that you are going to see the Egypt exhibit. We just couldn't manage to get there in time to see it, although we are only 3 hours away. I hope it was wonderful.

Melora said...

Glad Smidge is better -- I hope you are going to bed early tonight! Mary Poppins is one of my very favorites.

I hope the boys get their intestines! That sounds like a wonderful outing, especially since you will be taking the most efficient possible route, thanks to Zorak!

What is an easy button?

Bob and Claire said...

Wow, we've GOT to get a Huntsville job because, well, our boys would just get along so well! Mine also adore Dick Van Dyke and go around singing "Chim-chimminey" (however you spell that song) all the time. LOL! The Egypt exhibit sounds so neat. I'll look forward to a full report!

Emily said...

Ah! The elusive Sand Man! He has not visited this house in exactly one month. I hope you guys are ALL snoozing peacefully as I type.

So glad to hear Smidge is all better!

Have fun at the Egypt exhibt! Quentin will be so jealous. Egypt is one of his new obsessions.

Becca said...

I'm so glad Smidge is feeling better. It's amazing how a movie day can make everything a little easier to deal with.

And when you get one of those easy buttons, let us know, will you? I could really use one about now.

Ernest said...

Good to hear things have settled down to the relatively normal level of bodily fluids in your day.

For some reason one of my little ones couldn't sleep last night either and when he laid down he was still singing and playing long past the point where *I* fell asleep. Maybe it's a conspiracy. As a result, my day got shifted forward by about one hour.

J-Lynn said...

Oh the exhibit sounds like SO much fun! Let me know how it goes and enjoy your day!!!

Hugs,
Jess

melissa said...

Glad that everyone is better, and hope that you all are all getting a bit of rest. It was so awesome to talk to you, and catch up a bit!

J-Lynn said...

OK CM'ON, I'm ready to hear all about the museum!!! I'm on messenger if you're up

Anonymous said...

Aw Man! My kids won't touch Mary Poppins with a ten foot pole. I absolutely love that movie though. It seems that if it isn't any newer than say, oh, 1994, then it's not in their "cool movie" list.
My littlest (Josiah-my nephew) had some sort of throw up bug the other day too. But none of the rest of us got sick thank goodness.
Hope you all had a great time at the Egypt exhibit.

-dawn