Wednesday, October 25

Potential

Some days have the potential to be inspiring days, filled with exploration and joy; days bursting with goodness and gentleness, much like a 1970's fabric softener commercial. Today may have had that potential, but we didn't pull it off. It started off on a weird note when Zorak woke me by handing me a crying, stinky baby at 7:30, with the admonition, "Here ya go. I've gotta run." What? Where's the alarm clock? Or, barring the alarm, where's the coffee?

I should have cancelled the dentist appointment, stayed home, cooked, and read. Next time my day starts like that, I think I will.

It was a rough one, just weird from start to finish. There were even a few things that were simply too odd to sort out. My personal favorite came tonight, from James. I cannot share the context, (because I was hiding and refused to go see what was going on - Zorak had the helm, and I left him to it). All I know is that the child was in tears when he uttered this phrase. I may never know the rest of the story.:

Well, would you want to lick my tongue?


Come to think of it, we may not want to know...

Miss Emily is firmly entrenched in her 9 month growth spurt. Hiking across the desert in August with nothing but a bag of pork rinds wouldn't leave a person so parched.

Costumes: mostly figured out. I think. The only one that's going to require actual effort on my part tomorrow is John's pirate costume. Gotta dig up the sewing machine (and then find a place to use it... and then figure out what I'm doing.) James plans to re-tread his Superman costume, and our Wonderful Friends have come to the rescue with an outgrown Bob the Builder costume Smidge can wear. I bought a hardhat and yellow spraypaint today to round out the look. Miss Emily is set to be a ladybug.

All's well that ends well, though. We began Farmer Boy tonight, and had lights off around eight-thirty. Everyone was out by nine. James got back up around ten and said he was hungry. I gave him a banana and some warm milk, and we read a bit of Tucket's Travels together while he snacked and we snuggled. Then he brushed his teeth and headed to bed. I don't think he was hungry, really. I think he just didn't like ending the day on a sour note and needed a little more comfort. That's good, I think. I'm glad that comfort is the norm for him.

I'm glad that's the norm for all of us. It ensures that we'll work harder together, as a team, to make tomorrow a better day.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it that even your bad days sound so good? I want to come live with you.

Melora said...

As long as Zorak didn't tell you that you needed to make a doctor's appt. for James, I just wouldn't ask.

How soon do you think til Emily starts walking?

I know what you mean about the sewing machine, at least the part about finding it and finding a place to put it. I have to ask Ed where I should look these days when I want even a teaspoon -- everything is constantly being relocated, and I set my coffee cup on the plywood in the kitchen and came back to find it full of wood shavings. I'm in denial about costumes. The kids know What they want to wear, but I haven't yet double checked to see that their chosen get-ups actually fit & have all the necessary bits.

I hope today is wonderful and non-weird!

Anonymous said...

LOL...Madeline once saw a Folger's Christmas commercial and said (all of 4, I think she was) "Do people really GET that happy?"

Our costumes got finished yesterday, too. It was HARD work, too. We had to BRING IN the box, open it, PULL the costumes out. Whew! The most labor intensive costume was Madeline's, we had to cut the sheet to fit and make eyes and draw a mouth for her Happy Ghost. :)

Anonymous said...

Cool on Farmer Boy. We just started reading it for our family story time too. It's really interesting to read about how different Almanzo's childhood was from Laura's.

-Matt

Anonymous said...

My kids decided to be a Jedi and a Sith this year. Easy costumes, just had to buy some new laser swords, somehow the ones we had (was it 4 at one time???) seem to get broken easily. Stupid flimsy kids toys! Dont' they know the kids are smack the crap out of each other with them, and they should make them a little more sturdy.
Hopin' you're having a better day today, dear. And next time my kids get up after their bedtime and tell me they are looking a little lost, I'll remember what you said, "comfort is the norm..." and "make tomorrow a better day."

-dawn