Wednesday, October 18

GAH!! I'm a heel.

Little did I know how prophetic my words were when I said the bug day would probably be better than the farm field trip. Today was the deadline to pay to reserve our spot (yes, I know, nothing like the last minute for getting things done). I'd made arrangements to just swing payment by while we were in town, since this is our "goin' to town day". Everything was going along smoothly.

Well, we got out the door with everyone and everything - loaves of bread for Mr. Ward and Miss Terry, Pioneer Club handbooks, library books, grocery list... everything except the directions, and phone number of the lady I was supposed to deliver the payment to. And I didn't know her last name. If we hadn't been TO town by the time I realized my mistake, I'd have gone back. But that's, what, $50 in gas? *sigh* I feel like a real heel, and am not sure how I'm going to explain it to the boys. Well, I'll just be honest, yes, but I'm going to feel even worse before it's all over. And the boys are going to be so disappointed.

OK, it's after eleven. We got home twenty minutes ago, and the kids are now down, except for Miss Emily. It's been a very long day, and tomorrow probably won't be terribly perky. So I'm going to get her down and see about making plans to do something solo on the farm field trip end. I know I can't make it right, but maybe I'll be able to make it at least a little better.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

J-Lynn said...

Could you talk to the lady about it? Or go at the same time but with your own money?

I wish we were closer, we're going solo on Sat to pumpkin pick!

Hugs,
Jess

Laney said...

Awwww! Can you call the people at the farm? Maybe they will give you some grace. Call the lady?

I hope you have a better day! :-)

melissa said...

Yes, yes, it will be just fine. I'm sure that you guys can line something up. Seriously, I grew up on a farm, and the farm field trips that I remember having to go on were mostly a bunch of kids walking around being super loud around all the animals,(Ususally just yelling, "What's that SMELL!? EWWwwww!!!) and holding their noses. Terribly annoying to my sisters and I. LOL.
All will be well!! Buck up Lil' Trooper!!

Dy said...

Well, I sent an email last night, as soon as we got in, explaining my bone-headed blunder and asking if there was any way we could take it to her this morning. Waited up until two to see if she'd respond, but I guess she sleeps at night or something ;-). She just called and said she'll be leaving to deposit the money at eleven and if we can get it to her before she goes, she'll take it.

Since we didn't get home til after eleven, and all four wee ones were up when we pulled in, they're still sleeping soundly. So I called Zorak to see if he can slip over there... and his cell phone rang over by the tea cart. Pfft. Called his desk and left a message. Hmpf. Then called his buddy and asked if he'd peek around the corner and ask Zorak to call me (it's handy to have your husband's best friend working in the next room over!) Hee hee.

Hopefully, I can track him down quickly. If not, I'm going to have to wake the children and bustle up there.

Thanks for the encouragement. I still really hate it when I drop the ball for the kids and their activities. But it helps to have perspective! :-)
Dy

Randi said...

I hope this works out for you and the kids!

Melora said...

I sure hope you can get Zorak, or, less fun, catch the lady before her deadline. Even if you don't, though, I'm sure you'll come up with an alternate plan for a great day! I know (from experience) what a bummer it is to let my kids down, though.

Bob and Claire said...

Oh I totally know how you feel! I felt so bad when I realized I had totally spaced out the party that Caleb was invited to, the one he had talked about for weeks, the one where he was the only one (of our boys) invited and felt so special . . . I could not have felt any more devastated! Of course now I realize those were spacey pregnancy hormones, but I STILL feel sad about disappointing him. He only mentioned it once, however, so I guess I can take comfort that I didn't damage him for life! I hope the trip still works out but if not--well, boys are pretty resiliant! I'm sure you'll feel worse than they ever will! : )