Tuesday, October 10

It wasn't Bob

Wow, you guys are creative! I love the suggestions and ideas. Maybe we could make a SpongeBob cake for Zorak's birthday next year. He likes Spongebob.

The uncanny resemblance to Bob the Tomato is probably residual from that being our first themed cake. We've done Bob and Larry twice. This picture isn't so great, but it's definitely the eyes. LOL. (The only good, head-on shot we have wasn't digital, and it's in a box somewhere. Pardon the flaming teeth.)



Have any of you ever read Matt Groening's books? Or have I completely underestimated the literary breadth of my audience? If so, I apologize. Truly. (If so, I am also quite thoroughly outed now, and probably shunned from making any book reviews ever.) However that may play out, though, we just can't look at the smokestack (seen here in a behind-the-scenes shot) ~



...and not see the one-eared rabbit, Bongo, from Groening's Life in Hell series of comics. (They're irreverent, somewhat baudy, and... shamelessly funny. But may not be suitable for some viewers reading over shoulders, if you know what I mean.) So, there you have it - not Bob. Definitely not Bob. And as far as Smidge knows that was all Thomas.

The things we keep to ourselves for the sake of our children, huh? ;-)

Dy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dy-
It is so much easier to see Bongo in this picture- most definitely a very striking resemblance! And now you know that hubby and I have also enjoyed Life In Hell- seems so long ago now;)

Lisa

Melora said...

I remember Life in Hell -- I think I recently unpacked it. I just didn't go back far enough in the memory bank. The less decorated stage of Thomas allows the resemblance to be more clear.

Needleroozer said...

Somehow, I think you may be surprised when you find out how many of us have enjoyed Life in Hell, lol. Papa and I are huge Groening fans. Too funny. And I never would have ever guessed Bob the tomato!
Hope you sat in the tub last night- I smell like a hippy from stem to stern, and love it!
LB

Dy said...

OH, LB, no bath for me. Miss Emily is doing the fever/crying/drooling/quivering teething bit - til about four. God bless Hyland's - she went down at two last night. But that was too late for me to trust that I wouldn't fall asleep in the tub. You smell like a happy hippie. I smell like spitup and milk...

OK, y'all, I'm glad we aren't the only ones who read Life in Hell back in a previous life. I feel better. And yes, Lisa, it as during the construction phase that we noticed it. Once the cake was complete, it was definitely Thomas, but we kept going to that ear... er, smokestack, and giggling.

I think Laura's got a good eye for this, though, and it would be SO easy to make a roadrunner cake out of the basic shape. Maybe add the bottom half of an ice cream cone to make the beak...

It's just fun stuff - it's good to smile.

Dy

mere said...

Boy, I am so glad I didn't post what we were thinking..it was from a much less tasteful cartoon than Life in Hell, that we watched in the pre-kid era.

Yes. I can definitely see Binky.

Laney said...

So does this mean I don't get cake decorating lessons? *grin*

Meliss said...

I'm glad to see that my husband is not the only one doing cake decorating! Cake decorating is a team effort here or it wouldn't happen. I am terrible at frosting. Your cakes look great!

Isn't it cute how the little ones like the cake as much as any part of having a birthday? For a long time "birthday" and "cake" meant the same thing to my kids.

I left a reply to your comment back at Our Side. :)

Melissa