Monday, May 1

I'm Just Not Funny

Laney and I have talked about it. She knows my pain. I want to make Zorak laugh - the deep, from-the-toes laugh of true hilarity. I want to make him laugh the way Ron White makes me laugh. For ten years, I've been grasping at the few strands of humor I maintain, twisting them in knots, setting them on fire, and then doing the hula around them in an attempt to make him laugh.

Sometimes I get a smirk.
Or a chuckle.
Tonight I got a nod. What's with THAT? A nod?!? (It was a good joke, too.)

I don't think it's him, though, because I usually get groans, sometimes snorts, from the boys when I try to make them laugh. But they do laugh - heck, Zorak can make the boys laugh so hard they cry, just by dancing Miss Emily atop the back of the couch. Maybe it's a guy thing?

Anyhow, hilarity aside, the foyer is done. Bullnose beading, arch, paint, outlets, booblights (thanks for that - it's the perfect name). *sigh* It's lovely. And we bought batteries for the camera! But now I have to clean the kitchen again (because, you know, we've eaten since I cleaned it last, and you can see it from the foyer). We're closing in on this thing, and the better it looks, the worse the remaining parts look. For instance, the front door, the Icon Closet, and the basement door look downright hid-e-ous now. It's funny. In a sleep-deprived, inhaled paint fumes kind of way.

Back 40 has been mowed, back yard has been fertilized, and the fire ant mounds have been eradicated. What more could a girl ask for?

Well, since you asked... (OK, since I asked, but this is a lot like talking to myself, so I'll just run with that)

The beautiful foyer now needs a rustic old bench. I doubt our chances of finding "the one" are good out here - antiques here run to a different era - but perhaps when we trek to New Mexico again we'll be able to find one there. We don't want one that stands guard at the door, thus creating a checkpoint of sorts (the arch remedied that - no sense in bringing in something else to do the job). We'd like to get one that says, "Come on in, take your coat off and stay a while!" - in English or Spanish, we're not picky.

The living room is begging for an entertainment center - something with doors, perhaps. But definitely something other than the Altar to Heat and Media which we have currently. I'll have to post a picture of it - a pretty grandiose set up for folks who only use rabbit ears.

Um, let's see... oh, curtains! We are nearing the need for curtains! Actually, I'm sure if we had neighbors who could see in, they'd say we're past that point. However, it is time to do away with the Blackout Curtain method of window dressing and start thinking in terms of aesthetics rather than insulation alone. I feel giddy!

The boys are still on their checklist kick, and I'm keeping up pretty well. It's amazing what we do get done each day, using this method! Miss Emily has developed an eczema-like rash on her cheeks. It looks awful, but it doesn't seem to bother her at all. It just appeared yesterday, so I figure I'll give it a few days before I start slathering her with stuff. She has finally sprouted enough that the 0-3 clothes just can't be made to work anymore. *sniff* Suddenly the 3-6mos. clothing looks so BIG! Time is going to fly way too quickly, isn't it? Well, we'll just have to make sure we enjoy it more, then!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Laney said...

Why is it that we need their laugh meters to hit the top and ding?? Shouldn't it be enough that *we* think that we are hysterical?? *sigh* :-)

I can't wait to see the pictures! There are a ton of antique stores here in Wilmington. hint-hint

I have an extra room with a private bath. I'll bake for you. I'll dry your clothes in the dryer!! Enticing? :-)

Randi said...

Too bad little girls don't stay tiny forever! The time just goes by too quickly!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I so feel for ya, babe! I think I am just the funniest darn thing, and my husband just rolls his eyes, and I get a polite, "heh heh" outta the kids. What's wrong with these people? Don't they know they've got the next Carol Burnett brewing in their own home??? Non-appreciative nymphs, that's what they are. :-)
-dawn
ps-do you have any great ideas for homeopathic/natural remedies for kids allergies. I'm pulling my hair out trying to help Justin, and I'm not getting anywhere with otc or prescription drugs.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

"For ten years, I've been grasping at the few strands of humor I maintain, twisting them in knots, setting them on fire, and then doing the hula around them in an attempt to make him laugh."

And you think you're not funny...why??? I laugh over your blog all the time - I keep it on RSS just because you always make me smile! :)

Bob and Claire said...

LOL, your blog always makes ME laugh! : )

Anna has a rash on her cheeks too--well, it's actually just zits, poor girl. She spits up and rolls around in it, and then she breaks out. But she looks like an awkward teenager!

Melora said...

Well, for what it's worth, you make Me laugh!

I just Loved that 3-6 month stage! They aren't scrawny and fragile anymore, and they aren't climbing the furniture yet. Enjoy!!!!

Cordially,
Melora

Dy said...

Aw, thanks, guys. Maybe it *is* a guy thing? Y'all crack me up, too. And make me think. And stop to be thankful. Thanks.

Laney, do you have any idea how much laundry ALL our kids together could create? That might be enough to kill your dryer! But yes, yes it is enticing...

Dy, waiting to see if it's going to rain today...

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to add--Dh and I went to see Ron White for our 10th anniversary last year. If you like Ron White then you are well on your way to becoming a True Redneck! Welcome to the club!
BTW-we laughed until it hurt.