Wednesday, May 17

Poems and Adventures

I have two phrases stuck in my mind tonight. One is "plod, plod, plod" and the other is "tiddly-pom". Both have me smiling like a goof. Milne always makes me think of the children, and the Wonder that is childhood - and that, naturally makes me smile. I've no idea where the plodding comes from, unless it's just my inner self making up a poem to match the cadence of my mind lately. Thankfully, though, I seem to be the only one plodding along. While I'm sitting back, basking in the thrill of getting two whole windows finished today, everyone else in the house is just whizzing about, doing new things and making wonderful headway.

James has devoured several books that have found their way upstairs. He's having a blast. He's moving into tougher material and actually enjoying the challenge, too. Tonight, Zorak suggested he start a list of the words he comes across that he doesn't know - write them down and then look them up in the morning. My little list-maker jumped on the idea. What a great plan! Um, except that the dictionary wasn't one of the books we've found so far... Guess I'll be spending time in the basement tomorrow morning.

John came to me this afternoon, suited up in helmet and pads, and said, in this great James Lovell voice, "Alright, Mom. I need your help." It was late last summer, about a week before we closed on the house, that John ditched the training wheels on his bike. For all his knightly bravery and adventuresome spirit, riding that bike just struck fear in his wee, armor-clad heart. So, he managed to do it -- then we left the sidewalks of the apartment for the wagon-riding hills of the Forever Home... and he hasn't been on his bike since. By the time we had the opportunity to ride with him again, he'd lost his handle on it and instead was, himself, firmly in the iron grip of Fear. (Fear of what? No clue, couldn't articulate it - just your general, all-purpose Fear.) I don't know what prompted him today, but he'd steeled himself for it and was ready to go. Of course, he nailed it in just a few minutes, and the only "help" I needed to offer was just being there as an encouraging presence. But overcoming Fear usually has nothing to do with our actual abilities. It was pretty amazing to watch the transformation. He went from being completely gripped by Fear, with dogged determination to Enthusiasm, Confidence and finally, Total Enjoyment. Yay, Little One!! He informed me before bed that tomorrow he'll ride *before* breakfast. Love that stuff.

Smidge talked to his Granny tonight. He asked to call her, so I thought we'd give it a shot. She doesn't speak Elvish, but it's the thought that counts, right? Well, whaddya know, they had a pretty good conversation and when I got on the phone with her, she asked who that was. When I told her it was Smidge, she just squealed with delight! "OH! I thought it was one of the older boys! I could understand everything he said!" Way to go, Smidge!!

I had a front row seat to some pretty amazing stuff today. New adventures, new accomplishments, and I got to witness them. There isn't a paying job in the world that could compete with the pay and benefits of this one! I love it.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

9 comments:

J-Lynn said...

When I was out tonight Geo put Belle on the phone and for more than half of the conversation I thought it was Alyssa. That compeltely blew my mind! It just doesn't seem right somehow. ;-)

Goooooo Smidge! and goooooooo John! WOW

Oh and I have a confession to make. I absolutely *hate* Winnie the Pooh books, movies, shows, anything. Do you still love me? LOL

Anonymous said...

Hi Dy! Two windows sounds pretty good to me...I often read your blog and wonder if you are some kind of supernatural being to be able to do all that you do. I think your kids are blessed.

Sarah Jane says "Happy 4 Months!" to Miss Em. Hard to believe isn't it...I wish I could can this age and sell it!

mere

Dy said...

Oh, Jess, of course I love you! (You know too much...) But I have to ask, is it just Disney's Pooh, or is it A.A. Milne, too?

Mere, I SO owe you an email! Happy 4 Months to Sarah Jane, too! Em and I will have a special decaf latte to celebrate! *cheers, clink*

Dy

Needleroozer said...

Well, I can make up for Jess's lack of love for Pooh- The Complete WOrks of A.A. Milne are one of my desert island musts! So that way, we balance each other out, right?

I love the joy with which you write about your sweet babies. My sweet baby was a success in the play last night. It went really well, and I was so proud of him.

Talk to you soon,
LB

Jules said...

Way to go John!

Don't you just love seeing them develop character traits like that right in front of your very own eyes? Confidence, determination, and then the knowledge that yes, they can do this. It's so great and it makes all those other days when you think you're wasting your time well worth it.

J-Lynn said...

Ummmmm *blush* it's A.A. Milne. It bores me to tears. My kids have no interest (because I think I don't when reading even though I TRY). But, in my defense I was raised on the Disney stuff so I'm corrupted. ;-) But no, Disney or not I don't really care for it but *especially* not the A.A. Milne stuff.

Crissy said...

Those first few phone calls are the best, aren't they?
My mom has saved on a cassette tape the first three or four messages Jeffrey and Hunter ever left for her. She loves to pull that tape out and listen to those little voices.

Crissy

Laney said...

Oh, dear, water works are a flowin'!

When Christopher Robin says to his beloved Pooh, Remember Pooh Bear, You're smarter than you think and braver than you feel, I.completely.lose.it! Wahahahaaaa...

Jess, Pooh bear knows how you feel and the bear, he is not happy. ROFL!! I know you can appreciate my warped sense of humor.

I bought my mom a picture frame a few years ago that has a tape recorder in it. I had the boys wish her a Merry Christmas and tell her that they loved her. She still cries when she listens to it. I just love to wield my powers for good! Bwhahahahaha!

Anonymous said...

We'll have to set up a phone call to let our litte Monkey and your Smidge talk to each other -- I bet they'll both understand each other perfectly!!!