Thursday, May 4

We Can Buckle Down Tomorrow

Gale Force winds, enough rain to swell the creek 4 times its normal size, animals crossing the property in pairs of two, clean and unclean...

Nope, didn't do any laundry today.

Didn't paint, either. I live in perpetual fear that the latex paint is going to rebel against being laid down in this humidity and that it will, for revenge, dry permanently soft and kinda tacky. (I honestly have no idea what causes that, only that in New Mexico, when that happens, we blame it on the whopping 20% humidity that day.)

What did we do? We read. Grimm's Fairy Tales, Tales of Old Korea, The Last Battle, The Book of Joshua, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Frosty the Snowman, and Dancing Dinos (it can't all be deep reading) -- we fed our imaginations and explored the world without ever having to set foot outside in the flood, er, rain.

We snacked. Peanut butter and honey on toast, crackers and cheese, freshly blended fruit slushies, thick and gooey hamburger pie -- we kept our bellies full and the table busy.

We played. Spin-the-pink-chair-til-someone-cries. Well, okay, that one didn't hold much nostalgic value. But there was a pillow fight, a wrestling match, tape roll races and playing in the mud between downpours. Oh, and Miss Emily rolled over - not once, but twice (and she's still mad about it).

What actually got done today? Oh, plenty. We lived. We laughed. We read and talked. We took the day and lived it intentionally. The windows will still be there when the rain stops. The laundry won't ever be "done", not completely. But the boys and Miss Emily will never be as small as they are today. They won't be the same tomorrow as they were today, and I wouldn't have missed today for all the material things in the world. I'm glad I didn't miss it.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds like a fun day. I always enjoy rainy weather as long as I don't have to go anywhere and it doesn't come too frequently. It's nice to have a few big storms each year where you can just sit inside and admire the awesome power being exhibited without.

-Matt

Bridget said...

I love reading your blog, you always make me want to grab my kids, hug them and then snuggle down on the couch with them. Thanks for the warm feelings. Sometimes we have to stop and take stock about what is important.
Bridget

Randi said...

Your day sounds wonderful!

Jennie C. said...

What a great day! Makes me look forward to the rain.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. You have such a gift for painting a picture with words and making us all feel comfortable in our skins about being a mama (or daddy).
Have a great weekend, dear.
-dawn

Laney said...

*What* is wrong with me??

Allyour title makes me think of is a cheer we used to do in high school. In order to get.it.out.of.my.head, I am sharing it with you.

Buckle down
Tiger team!
Power up
To win!!

I would do the jump that goes with it but I'm afraid that I will throw my back out.

Emily said...

Hey! We play spin-the-chair-til-someone-cries too!! Our chair is black. And my mom has a red one and it has wheels, the game is played there too!

Sounds like a fun day!

~Em

Thom said...

Great post! And YAY for Miss EMily for rolling over! How can she be old enough to do that,already??? It just doesn't seem possible! "and she's still mad about it"--ROFL!!!