Thursday, May 11

Not feeling quite so guilty now...

You know, I really felt a bit guilty when I forked over the cash that would allow us to exit the building without a getaway car yesterday. We had so much fun picking out books that... well, it adds up, you know. However, today I received absolution! The workbooks and other great titles were a HUGE hit today. I feel like inserting some Latin blessing right about... here. We interspersed the workbooks with our regularly scheduled day: laundry, Calvin Ball, picnics (spent a lot of time outside today, guarding the wash from the stoopid dog), learning and reading.

I did have to force James outside to play ball with us. He'd come out for a bit, then slip inside, ostensibly to use the bathroom, and I'd come in twenty minutes later (ostensibly for more coffee, but who am I kidding? I needed a break!) to find him hunched over the book, giggling maniacally as he wrote out equivalent fractions for each of the problems. No, nothing he was working on asked for equivalent fractions. He just thought that would be fun. On the upside, it looks like I won't have to teach him how to handle mixed fractions. He said, "Hey, Mom, check this out! If you just divide the fraction, you can get a mixed number! And you can switch it back by multiplying it." Hey, that's pretty cool... where did it show you that? "Oh," he says, "It didn't, but that's how it works, see?"

OK, that's just plain wrong.

John saw that I'd grabbed a copy book for him that involves more writing than he's been doing. I was hesitant, as reading and writing haven't come as easily to him as they did to James. Pfft. I am a dork! He was thrilled. I mean absolutely thrilled. (What is WRONG with these children?) Anyhow, I had a pile of worked planned for him already today, so he had to hold off on that until tomorrow, but he's chomping at the bit. He laid out the book, sharpened his pencil and placed it in the pencil cup just before bed tonight. He did get to wallow in a mazes book, though, and that was a lot of fun. Or it sounded like it, anyway.

Now, Smidge's reaction, I get. At least more than I get the other two. He got a tracing book. OK, yeah, that's fun. Of course, in another life, I used to enjoy sprawling out on the floor with a PB&J sandwich, a box of crayons, a coloring book... and a beer. So I can vouch that he comes by this honestly. I did purchase presentation books at Wally World the other day, so the maze book is going to be dismantled and inserted into the page protectors. He's two - he won't realize right away that he's done the same ten mazes every day for two weeks. And if/when he does finally catch on, well, I've got a whole book I can rotate out! He is currently my most cost-effective child.

I'm not getting excited until I have a receipt in my hot little hands, but I've heard rumors of a s-t-a-c-k-a-b-l-e that may be adopted by a loving family sometime soon. (*shhhhh* Don't jinx it by actually saying anything, okay? Thanks.)

Oh, and the cobbler? YUM! I couldn't even tell it was wheat-free! YAY! Still can't get Zorak to try any, but that's okay. This is so good I'd take it to a potluck and not feel compelled to tell anyone it's wheat-free. And that's saying something.

Well, I just might make it to bed before three if I stop talking right now and finish this cup of coffee. It's worth a try.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Jennie C. said...

I always feel a little guilty about buying books, too. They do cost a small fortune. BUT, they get read, over and over and over, and all this reading is showing up in the kids writing and vocabulary. My youngest has been talking better than the rest and with such good grammar since she was a wee thing!

Laney said...

O.K., James doing mixed fractions is just.plain.wrong.*grin* I still can't balance my checkbook! *snort*

I can completely relate to the kids getting excited about new workbooks. Whenever my kids see the UPS guy they squeal with delight, "My new (insert curriculum here) book is here." Yay for them! :-)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's "plain wrong" that James figured out mixed fractions on his own, but I also think that it's really cool! :)

Anonymous said...

Hm. Fractions.
But my youngest brother did (for the most part) figure out multiplication by helping deliver newspapers to racks and stands. And there's nothing like newspaper bundles for helping kids figure out different bases.
I mean, if you have a store that gets 32 newspapers on a given day, how many bundles and loose papers are you going to take in? It depends...are the papers bundled in 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 20, or 30 that day?
Anyway, good job, James.

ang said...

I am the same way about books and luckily so are my kids. With 4 a trip to the bookstore can cost as much as going to an amusement park for us! Its worth it though! Im crossing my fingers about the S-T-A-C-K-A-B-L-E-S for you :)

Needleroozer said...

Hey lady!
Just wanted to let you know I finished the Where I'm from exercise!
LB