Thursday, May 18

Well, when you do things like that...

*sigh* John has completely overcome his fear of the bike. Yes, he has. And he has on his forehead a goose egg the size of a silver dollar to prove it. One would expect he received this noble badge from riding down the hill...

through the meadow grass (that now comes to the windows on the Suburban)...

smack into the back side of the barn (yes, in-to, lovely, eh?)

But, no. Astonishingly, he walked away from that one unscathed. It seems the actual injury came in the form of a Very Stupid Dog who thinks if he stops directly in front of the bike, the bike will be intimidated and stop, as well. Evidently not. The dog was not harmed (nor did he learn his lesson) and God bless John, he got right. back. on. Personally, I'd have milked that baby for a couple of otter pops and a movie on the couch. But he was all about getting back out there and trying again. He's going to make a fine man one day.

Tonight was the last night of Pioneer Club. They break over the summer, and while the boys are somewhat disheartened by the break, I'm absolutely thrilled. That's 90 miles round trip (plus an additional 50, if you add in the wrong turn I took tonight - we were nearly to the TN border before I realized what, precisely, was wrong). Yes, I am thankful for the break. The Suburban will be, too, I'm sure. Perhaps we can make Wednesdays our Special Outing days - field trips, school at the river, things that can be done within, say, 12 miles of the house.

Smidge went to his class and when it was over, he was the first one out. He came bolting down the hallway, all smiles and enthusiasm. Change is hardly ever fun, but familiarity just downright breeds joy, pure joy, in a two year old. He is so proud of all he's done, and couldn't wait to show me everything in his little bag - his sash, his cup o' crayons, his Jonah book. I think there were some edibles in there at one point. Either that, or his teacher gave him a bag with crumbs in it, but I'm betting he just got to the goodies before he found me.

We're making huge headway on the Forever Home. I didn't realize just how much progress we'd actually made until I cleaned the place this evening. Wow, that's... embarrassing. But still, in the light of day tomorrow it will feel invigorating and motivating! (Remind me of this tomorrow night when I'm dragging --- again, okay?)

The Frontline seems to be working. Baltoid hasn't had any ticks for the last twelve hours! WOW! (Just think how wonderful it will be when we get the meadow bush hogged again!)

And on the Wonderful News front: Zorak has received a promotion at work. Yay! Same job description, but different pay band. He was so sweet, and so humble about it. I, however, am thoroughly proud of him. He's such a hard worker. He's honest and loyal to his company, and he always does his best to represent them well. After some of the antics he's been subjected to in the past (prior to going back to school), it feels very good to see him working in a place that values his efforts and lets him know as much. It does my heart good, and doesn't hurt his any, either. :-)

Tomorrow's a busy, busy day, and I'm up way too late (yet again - it's an illness, I tell ya!) Have a fantastic Thursday, and as always,

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Sheila said...

Yah Zorak. I have o ne of those hard-working humble guys who just wants to make sure the job is done right. It's so nice when they get rewarded.

Have you considered putting out Sevin dust? We used to get awful sand fleas and occassional ticks in our slightly wooded suburban yard. The Sevin dust wipes them out for the whole season.
It's cheap as pesticides go and it works in our yard.

hornblower said...

Congratulations to Zorak, John, Smidge, the Forever Home, Balto .... LOL, what a bunch of good, happy stuff. Great to hear!

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Congrats Zorak! And way to go John for getting right back on the horse, er, bike. :)

ang said...

congratulations to zorak on the promotion. Im so glad he has a job that are greatful for his hard work!That will be nice to not have to drive all that way every wednesday! My kids had their last day at their youth group this wednesday. Although we are lucky its only three blocks up the street! Im so glad that tick stuff is working on your dog. I have a huge farm cat who always wants to be outside so Im worried about fleas and ticks this summer. Let me know if it keeps working I might have to get some...

Melora said...

Hooray for Zorak! He sounds like such a hard working guy (and talented!). It's good to hear he is being recognized and rewarded.

Good for John, too. He has the right attitude. (Although I would still want to wrap him in cotton and hide the bike for a while.)

I know what you mean about Pioneer Club. K.'s speech therapist told Ed today that she is doing so well that she could cut way back on the sessions, and my first thought was, "Goody, they can cut back on the car trips!" Less driving sometimes means more fun time!

Cordially,
Melora

Amber said...

Congratulations to Zorak! That's great news. Now there's more to spend on the house, right? *grin*

That's so neat that John is doing so well on the bike. I'm not sure I would have recovered quite so well from that crash, but it sounds like he has the right perspective on things.

And wow - 90 miles round-trip! Ah, the joys of living in the country. I would certainly be looking forward to having a break from that too. Do you guys have anything in particular that you do in the car?