Saturday, May 13

House Whispering

We tried to ignore it. Individually, we each treated it like a mild hallucination. Hallucinations, we can handle. But, no. The house has been telling us both the same thing, and tonight we had to admit it. I suppose this is what happens when you've bought FrankenHouse. Or when you stay up way too late drinking. Coffee. Either way, it has spoken and we have heard, and we're now looking at... *deep breath* an addition.

It'll be okay. We'll take it slowly. We'll do the work ourselves. (Der.) And... ok, what? Were we just too close to being done? Things lookin' a little too lax here at the Forever Home? What is with this house? Well, alright, FINE. We'll give it the addition. But I can tell you right here and now that I don't care how much it begs, we're not, I repeat NOT, adding a second floor or an inground pool! (Which, actually, that's easy enough to say because it doesn't want either. But, I digress.)

We do both feel better now that that's out in the open. We can move forward and scrap a few things we've been trying to force. Anyhow, if the scanner will work, I'll try to upload the drawings and give y'all a peek at what's in the works. And this time, I'm doing pictures as we go (because they won't be nearly as terrifying as the renovation pictures were). This will also require that I get on it and update y'all with "after" photos of the rest of the house. You know, so it doesn't look like we're adding on to... that.

In other news:
* Balto goes in Monday for a thorough vet check, and we will hopefully bring him home tick-free. Joy! Elation!

* We may have found a pediatrician for Smidge and Miss Emily. The receptionist registered a 6 on the Richter Scale upon learning that Miss Emily hasn't seen "ANYone???" (said just like that, with a high-pitched catch in her voice), but she didn't seem phased when I mentioned that I'd "like to discuss vaccination plans with the doctor". (Perhaps there is a benefit to shocking them with the homebirth first and then slipping vaccines in during the aftermath?) Anyhow, I got his name off a billboard, and he's the only pediatrician out of the 20+ I've contacted who is accepting new patients. This could go any of a number of ways.

* You know, I thoroughly enjoy my children. 99% of the time the boys are beautifully behaved in public. Then there's that 1%. That's inevitably the one that gets me. This is a universal parenting point, too, as I've heard similar stories from other parents. Your kids are just great, and they're so good for such extended periods of time that when they do go off the deep end (and God help you when they do it en masse), it catches you off guard. You're immobilized in your shock. Do you sedate them on the spot? Start screaming at them in Spanish? Pretend they aren't yours? I still don't know what the correct answer is, but the *calm, pleasant, please-don't-call-child-protective-services* tone was pretty ineffectual today. So the next time you're out in public and you see a irate white woman screaming Spanish slang at her herd of clueless anglo children, say hi, will ya? I'd love to hear from you.

* Busy weekend coming up, so blogging may be light. (Or it may be heavy - that depends on just how hard I work to get out of the projects at hand.)

Kiss those babies, and remember that no matter how big they may seem now, they will never again be as little as they are today.

~Dy

8 comments:

Laney said...

ROFLOL!! See, now I have been screaming at my children in Yiddish. If I had known it was Spanish all along, maybe they would have listened!

I have to say that I am not surprised about the addition. It somehow, seems very normal!:-)

Melora said...

An addition? Well, I guess it would be a shame to let all the skills you've aquired through the renovation go to waste!

I KNEW there was a good reason I should have learned a foriegn language!

I love your last remark. We were watching "old" family movies from two years ago last night, and I was amazed by how Little Travis was, and I know at the time I shot the movie, I thought he was getting to be such a big kid.

Have a great weekend!
Melora

J-Lynn said...

Ummmmmm I just forgot #4 had her first well check in umm... EVER. Time to reschedule. Yes, I said #4, not #5. ;-)

Hugs, and good luck!

ang said...

wow youre house talks to you too? I thought I was the only one! Mine wants an addition, a jacuzzi in the yard and new carpet! Im thinking maybe we shouldnt be giving in to its every whim or it might never be satisfied!!! :)

pilgrimama said...

Simultaneously gasping and not too surprised. Marcella

H said...

The house wants an addition? Another baby?

MAN, that's demanding!


Juuuuuust kidding. I knew what you meant all along. :) What will you *do* with an addition, though? What rooms will it hold?

And how long 'till the house whispers that it wants you to build a cute little pool house next door? Maybe a pink one? With flirtatious shutters?

Anonymous said...

You know, when I first saw the title of the post I thought it was "Horse Whispering" and I thought maybe you'd decided to get another four legged friend. :-)

I'm looking forward to seeing the plans!

-Matt

Amber said...

Well now, that's exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing what you both have in mind and watching things come together. Somehow I'm not surprised at all... *grin*

Good luck on the pediatrician appt... We have been going to ones for Gregory (even though there's really no point - it is just a physical check and it is pretty obvious that he's doing wonderfully!), in part so that my midwife doesn't acquire a bad reputation with the pediatric group she generally works with, and in part as a CYA. I know of at least one perfectly respectable (although decidedly "crunchy") family who didn't have a regular pediatrician who had to take a child to the local ER who then had CPS called on them by the hospital. Ah, the great nanny state of California. *sigh* Anyways, I hope the ped you found is as easy-going about doing things (or perhaps I should say, not doing things!) differently as ours is.

I hope your busy weekend is going well!