Sunday, May 7

Where I'm From

I am from faded jeans and Dad’s cardigans, from Michelob and Pepsi, and The Sons of the Pioneers.

I am from the cool mountain pines; gentle breezes on dry clear summer days; dirt roads and winding paths and bonfires on Friday nights; Lynx Lake with all its hidden trails and the fish I never could catch.

I am from the junipers and mountain lakes, the saguaro and mesquites in bloom.

I am from big buffet dinners, “always room for one more”, “you’re only a stranger once”, and laughing aloud to the Sunday Comics, from June and Mary, and friends so close they’re family.

I am from the procrastinators and those who’ve never met a stranger.

From ”You’ve got such potential!” and ”hush little baby, don’t say a word”.

I am from enthusiastic Amens and humble prayers, from a solid rock and “Jesus loves me”. From fellowship and brotherhood and abiding love. From the comfort of a well-worn Bible and the struggle of living its directions.

I'm from the mining towns of Arizona, and the farms of Tennessee. From farmers, ranchers, entrepreneurs. From a newsstand owner and a fiery widow. From Germans and Irish, Dutch and English, but wholly American. From buttered noodles and thick steaks and hot coffee.

From the death of my father, always wondering “do I get this stubbornness from him? This sense of humor?”, the gift of my stepfather, knowing “Dad loved this”, and the depth of being loved by the family I married into.

I am from the backyard swing in Texas, five years old and full of life; from the Christmas gatherings in Albuquerque, bittersweet, even then. I’m from green chile burritos, cruising Tramway, and hiking the Appalachain Trail. From the airport in Charlotte and a suburb of Pittsburgh. I’m from the apple orchard in Gleason, TN, and Mr. Brown’s farm down the road.

I’m from sunrise in the kitchen, hot coffee and fresh note paper. From the local news talk show and the annual lighting of the Courthouse.

And from my husband, I’m from New Mexico, from sheepherders and teachers and cowboys. From Corona days and barn dances and hunting in Cloudcroft. From mormon tea plants and lamb’s quarters, the Rio Grande and the Gallo. From so much more than before...

Hat Tip to Amy, who found it (and directions/tips for making one of your own) here. Give it a try, and if you do it, either let us know where you blogged it or, if you don't have a blog, leave it in the comments section.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Kim said...

Beautiful, Dy.

I did this a few days ago at my blog.

Janet said...

I love Lynx Lake and the Walker area! I would love to live on Big Bug Mesa Road. Are you familar with that area?

I would like to do one of these. It seems hard to me...

Dy said...

Janet, Oh, yes, I know Big Bug Creek, and that whole beautiful area! Have you ever taken the road that leads from Groom Creek to Crown King? It's Senator Hwy - wow, that's an amazing, fantastic drive. Always good for clearing the head and really appreciating the beauty and varying terrain AZ has to offer.

If you get the itch to do one, use the template. I read Amy's and thought, "Where did she come UP with this stuff?" Then I saw the template - it's a stroke of genius for getting the memories flowing. Things I couldn't have mentioned if you'd just asked me out of the blue. :-)

Kim, I can't find yours yet. But I can't even open your comments section to read it, let alone leave a note. :-( I guess I just need to email more regularly!

Dy

Amber said...

Something is either wrong with my memory or my childhood, because I couldn't even begin to fill something like that template out. I really like yours though, it turned out beautifully. I'll have to take a look at that template again tonight when I have a few more spare brain cells (that is, if they aren't already asleep *grin*)