Saturday, May 6

Oooooooo, 'dat's nice!

Zorak ventured into town today and returned bearing gifts - namely, a contractor's pack of window trim (which translates to, "a whole lotta trim")! I can't tell you how sexy that is.

The kitchen and dining room windows are now all painted. The tape has been removed, and they are awaiting the trim (which will have to be done during the week, but it's here, on site, and that is HUGE). The windows in the boys' room and the master bedroom are cleaned and sanded, ready for tape (another alluring gift Zorak brought me - he's on a roll today!) I was going to tape the windows while the boys got ready for bed, but then I realized there are three of them, what-was-I-thinking?!?! So, it can wait. Easier on the ol' ticker.

Smidge did so well with the toilet training today. It probably helped that 80% of the day was spent outside, naked. It's just a lot more fun to pee outside than in the house. Or, allow me to correct that -- than in the potty. It is, an astute observer would have noticed today, quite fun to pee in the hallway. But, he's got the basic idea, and those nasty little candy-coated kisses are pure gold - he even high-tailed it to the potty of his own accord after supper. WOO HOO! (Have y'all tried those? They don't taste *right* - they're like carob chips, or some other imitation of real candy. We can't put our fingers on just what's off about them, though, and Smidge doesn't know any better, so what the heck - it's a good way to get rid of them.)

Thanks for the paint commiseration. If I discover the magic formula, I promise to share it. I'm still holding out hope that Alaska will chime in with what worked on their Forever Home after her mad-mad-marathon-o-painting.

Zorak is building sawhorses from some of the salvaged lumber so that we have somewhere to lay the trim and the doors for painting. To be more specific, so that we can paint these items downstairs, away from curious little fingers and the clumsy children to which said fingers are attached. When he emerges, we're going to call it an early night and watch some dismally horrible movie together. Yes, again with the romance - and the thing is, I'm not being sarcastic. I really love this weird little existence we have; bad movies, house fixin's, the wayward urinator and all... *happy sigh*

Today there was no rain. You have not seen a woman wash so many clothes in a day - and be this happy about it - in a long, long time. (Perhaps not since we got running water to the house and I COULD wash clothes.) The canopy is lush, the honeysuckle is in bloom (upwind, so I can enjoy the scent, but far enough away that I don't have to deal with the bees), and I realized I have it good. Really good. And I'm thankful.

Oh, I just heard Zorak making coffee - time to go enjoy that wonderful hubby.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Bob and Claire said...

LOL, way to go , Smidge! He and Jonathan can have a long-distance "pottytraining success" party together! I know exactly what you mean about those Kissable things. You expect them to taste like M&Ms, but . . .they don't. More like the fake ones that come in those cheap candy canes. We also used our bag as bribes to get rid of them! : )

Emily said...

YEA SMIDGE!! Can Walker join in the long-distance pottytraining success party?? He is doing pretty well too, though he only pees off the backsteps of the porch and MUST be naked! Luckily most of my neighbors are all very elderly and "get it" :)

Good luck to you guys!! Keep the success stories coming.

~Em

Dy said...

Claire, YES! That's it - my brain wants them to taste like M&M's. But no, they really, really just don't. Good thing the small ones don't care, huh? :-)

Em, oh yeah, we can have a pee-across-america-thon. Two year olds everywhere, UNITE! Why must they be naked? I don't get that, but even the shirt seems to cause a mental block. I love that your neighbors are so sweet about it - that makes life nicer, doesn't it?

Dy

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dy, the potty training is making me crazy!!! Monkey was doing great, he really just started telling me on his own "I go pee-pee potty", and I'd take him -- even at 3am when I really jsut wanted him to go in the pullup. Then all of a sudden, he's quit doing it. AND if we leave him in the crib awake for any time at all (to go to sleep or if he wakes up first), he pulles his pullup off (often dry), throws it out of the crib, then proceeds to pee in the bed. He's sleeping on a beach towel right now b/c I haven't had the chance to get his sheets washed. AAAAAAAAAARRGGHH! This too shall pass, this too shall pass, this too shall pass . . . .