Thursday, May 4

Wednesdays are LONG!

However, today was productive on many fronts:

The indoctrination of the small one is nearing completion. Tonight, Smidge made a collage of "family", and it was the sweetest little thing to see him pointing to these images of toned, manicured, beautiful people, saying, "Mama... Dad! My Dad!... " *sniff* You've learned well, young grasshopper.

The eldest one seems to have missed the whole point of forging your parents' names... He came running into the hall after class tonight and we had the following exchange:
Son: Mom, if you've got a pen, I need to borrow it, please.

Mom: Wow, well, sure, Son. Whatcha doing?

Son: Oh, I need to write your name so I can build a fire.

Mom: *blink**blink* Oh....?

I touched base with the instructor, who filled me in. One of their badges involves learning how to build and light a camp fire, but the instructor wanted to get parental permission beforehand to let us know what's happening with the kids, and he wasn't sure all the parents would be comfortable having their children near fire. (Zorak also brought up the point that this gives the parental units a heads up that their children are to be exposed to... "certain technology", which may carry the potential for abuse. Good point.) Of course I gave my okay - the boys have been tossing construction debris into the fire ring for months - but I'm still trying to figure out just what on earth made James think he should sign my name -- or why he'd mention it to me in the process!

You! Move! - John heard last week that he'd be moving to a different class over the summer, and he wasn't too happy about it. He'd been a bit standoffish about the whole prospect all week, even to the point of asking if he can just not move up at all. We talked this morning as we hung clothes, and during the course of the conversation I managed to figure out that he was thinking HE, alone, was going to have to be moved, for some unspecified reason. Once I explained that his whole class would be advancing to the next level, and that it happens each year, he was much relieved and rather excited.

Thanks for taking a peek at the photos of the renovation ("remodel" just doesn't seem to convey the umpf of the project, does it?) We're still plugging along. Several of y'all have asked about the official expiration date on the Right of Redemption, and according to TPTB (in this case, the Papers that Be) it's the 19th of May. Prayers would be much appreciated. ;-)

I did some severely piddly stuff today - laundry, installing outlet covers, laundry. Zorak tackled another closet organizer - this one in our room! It needs a little tweaking, as it's a lot more modular than the one we (ha - HE, not we) put into the boys' closet. (OK, he's sitting here, informing me that it's not modular. It's just the components rather than a full kit. There's a difference. In my defense, though, we bought the components because they have a more modular design - in that the brackets can be moved around and futzed with without having to fiddle with the holes in the walls... Sometimes it's hard to type full conversations and have any of it make sense.)

Anyway, where was I? Oh, and he put the casings (casing overlays? casing facades?) on the kitchen windows. Starting to look better already!

But I've now been up for 21.5 hours. I'm done. G'nite!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Laney said...

How funny! He must have known you would give him the pen, and the subsequent O.K., if he was so confident!:-)

Did you read Big Yellow's Old Navy post? ROFLOLOL!!!

Anonymous said...

Only 21.5? Time to change your bionic batteries, again, Dy?

:)

I too was trapped for an hour with Mr. Tesh last night. I'm just ooozing with intelligence now, do I look smarter?

The Queen said...

Ooh! That's a big day for me, too. Long story, but it involves money and the initials I.R.S.

What say we all have a big cake on May 20th?

Amy said...

Hey! I went to look at the pictures last night and it wouldn't work for me for some reason, but now it does. Awesome! I love it. It's so open and inviting. Perfect.

It's funny how these homeschool kids miss out on some important lessons in life - like the whole class moves up together! Really, where's the logic in that?

Hope you're well rested this morning!

Melora said...

Oh my. Without my 7-8 hrs sleep, I become a zombie. From you remodel pics, I thought that maybe you guys did a lot of late night work, and now I know!

I wonder how they phrased the request for your signature. If they just said that they needed mom's signature, I think Travis might just think that they wanted my name written on the paper, for some, obscure, grown-up purpose. He might think he was just saving me the bother by writing my name (although, given his penmanship, no one would be fooled). They grow up so quickly, I just love those little things that remind us that they are still innocent kids.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I found your blog via mamabears den. Your remodeling pictures are fantastic! The first home my husband and I bought was a one bedroom, one bath. We started adding on after the birth of the second daughter! Long story short, we added two bedrooms and a bath, and redid the entire kitchen and sold it. We are currently in a 700 sq.ft 2 bedroom, 1 bath and building a log cabin! At least we're not living in it while working on it! Been there, done that. I enjoyed the humor in the picture captions. Question? What part of the country do you live in that causes that much mold? I have to agree; ew!

Dy said...

Laney, yes, Big Yellow has me in tears most days. I wanted to high-five somebody after the bag stuffing.

Andie - oozing? Oh gosh, that's so. So. Perfect! ROFL!

AK, oh, no!! I don't think I like anybody w/ those initials! Definitely, cake and ice cream at the Forever Home! C'mon down!

Amy, I'm glad you could see it. We don't have the expanses of beautiful wood that you do. Actually, what little wood there was needed to hide. LOL. I don't think John quite gets the point in everyone moving at once, and he certainly didn't feel like he's "finished" the class, but he's glad he hasn't been singled out for isolation. :-)

Melora, yes, I think he just thought he needed my "name" on something - not my actual permission. I love that there is no guile - just honest, if somewhat goofy, intentions. It's good to be reminded that he's still a little guy - lately he just seems so, well, BIG. :-( *sniff sniff*

Dy