Tuesday, November 8

My Gentle Knight

John is five. He is the most genuinely sensitive of the three boys, in the truest sense of the word. His empathy is powerful enough to move mountains. His tears are healing and soulful. His laughter wells up and spills over. His desire to fight dragons of all kinds and defend his loves is fervent and true. He is the first one to know when someone else needs a hug, often even before the person in need is aware of it, and he's right there to offer it with all his heart. He would rather snuggle than wrestle; rather sing than speak; rather do than watch. Life is there for the savoring, the taking and the sharing, according to John.

He is also the child to whom most things happen. Allergies? John has them. Freak chemical accident? John got hit. Piss Poor ER staff and a fight just to be seen for the chemical accident? That's my John Baby. (He wasn't "fussy enough", according to them, to have had contact that needed attention.) The child that goes down for a nap after a wonderful morning and awakes an hour later with a fever of 106, unable to breathe? John. Cause of the 106 fever turns out to be double ear infections, upper and lower respiratory infections, UTI, kidney infection and strep - all totally asymptomatic until the fever hit? That would be John. The list goes on... If it's weird, difficult to address, absolutely terrifying, and leaves us absolutely exhausted with frustration and the pain of not being able to make it better, it seems it will attack John.

And he handles it all. so. well. "Does it hurt?" We ask him. He says, "No. Only when..." and goes on to list the times it hurts, which boils down to anyone else saying, "Hell yes, it hurts! Make it stop. Cut it off. Shoot me." But not John. For him, it only hurts occasionally... which is always, but that's not how he sees it. He gets sad, and seeks the comfort he so readily gives at any other time. And he waits for us to make it better.

Tonight is one of those nights. Tonight is actually mild on his timeline of events, but I'm just wearied by it. He had a reaction to the Novocain at the dentist. It began to dissipate by the time we left and aside from his fatigue and exhaustion from our schedule recently, he was pretty okay this afternoon. We stayed home, though, as he wasn't feeling 100%. I called Zorak as we left the dentist's office to let him know I needed to be Full-Time Mommy today and our mail box hole will have to wait. He sent his love and blessings and extra hugs for John.

At supper, something was bothering John. He was hungry, but not eating well. This was more than just tired - something was *wrong*. We talked a bit and I asked him about it. He showed me his lip, which had swollen to four times its normal size in the previous hour. (It hadn't looked like that before.) Oh. Wow. It looked like a large blister, ready to burst, beginning inside his mouth and spreading to the outer part of the face. He never complained, just pointed out that it was "irritating" and made it difficult to eat.

I gave him some Benadryl as we prepared for bed. It didn't touch the swelling or wateriness, but did knock him flat out. He fell asleep with his head in my lap as I was tucking him in for story time.

Well, he has no fever, no rashes, no swelling of his throat or tongue. He's not cold or vomiting, or experiencing labored breathing, and not in enough pain to wake him... so I am letting him sleep. I'll give him some Motrin if he wakes during the night, and continue checking on him every few minutes. He did get up to use the restroom, although he's so out of it than when he was done, he put the lid down on the toilet and sat there, cross-legged, until I asked what he was doing. He just shrugged. I took him back to our bed so I'll be able to keep an eye on him. The blistery-swollen part now extends from the corner of his mouth, along the bottom lip all the way to the middle of his lip. It's worse, but he's still sleeping peacefully.

He has two more visits to the dentist which will require work. Naturally, the front teeth that need to be done are on opposite sides of his face, and can't be done simultaneously. (It's the repair and capping of the front ones, which are chipped and in bad shape.) I don't know what they'll do for him, but Novocain is probably out of the question. And if this is from the Novocain (I'm still not sure - with the way it came, then went, and then returned with a vengeance), the thought of putting him under a general anesthesia is even more terrifying than trying to make him tough it out without a local. It's going to break our hearts, no matter what we need to do. And he'll be so brave, no matter what he needs to do. Our gentle, sweet knight and his big-scary dragons...

I would not trade places with anyone in the world, but God, do I hate this part.

Kiss those sweet babies.
~Dy

13 comments:

Stephanie not in TX said...

Oh, Dy.

I hate this part too.

Hugs to you and your little guy.

Staci Eastin said...

So sorry about your little guy. What a trooper. Hope he's better soon.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Oh, Dy. ((hugs)) I'm so sorry. Prayed for him, and you. Wish I could do more.

H said...

Oh, poor guy! It's soooo hard when they're hurting. These things are always much scarier at night too. Poor guy. We'll be praying.

Hillary (Who now has yet *another* thing to worry about.....)

Sheila said...

Oh poor guy. That is just awful. I am amazed you're so calm. I would be that awful freaked out woman in the ER that they would be talking about for days.

On a side note, I can't do Novocaine. It makes me seriously depressed for days. Ask for Lidocaine next time. I react to it but not as bad. Maybe it will dod the same for him. Hopefully he won't react at all.

Spinneretta said...

Oh Dy, poor John. I do so hope he is feeling better, poor guy.
He is such a trooper! You can tell him that he amazed a whole bunch of Mama's on your blog with his bravery :)

((((John and Dy))))

Dy said...

Thank you.

Our Wonderful Dentist called this morning and can see him at eleven. We're going in. Like I told the dentist, it's worth the drive for me, even if he just says it looks like he bit the heck out of it. It's still swollen this morning, although not nearly as bad as before. I'll update when we get back.

Dy

Thom said...

Hopefully the dentist can figure out the problem and make him feel better quickly. That's what I'll be praying for!

[[Hugs]] to that brave little knight and his mama, too!

Unknown said...

:-( Tearing up here...it's so hard to see our guys hurting, isn't it? Hang in there Dy! So sorry that you are going through this.

Thinking and praying for y'all! Will look forward to an update.

J-Lynn said...

I am so sorry Dy. John is such a sweet, sweet boy. Praying the dentist has an answer.

He has the best mommy in the world, that's the best balm...

HUGS

Bob and Claire said...

Wow, I've never heard of allergic reactions to novocaine, but I'm sure Caleb would have one too--he's the same sort of kid. Another thing to wonder about . . . I hope John's feeling better today. He sounds like a real trooper. I'll be anxious to read what the dentist says.

Jules said...

Oh. Wow. I'll send lots of prayers out for you and your sweetheart. You're right, this stuff is yucky. Update us when you get the chance- I'll be thinking about you!

Donna Boucher said...

Prayers for your little John.