Saturday, November 19

Quick Hi

The leasing office lady called today to see if we'll be out by Monday. I had no idea what to say (and I was covered in popcorn ceiling debris), so I just filled her in on the progress.

"Well, the propane line can't be run until the 28th, so we're trying to get a wood stove hooked up right now. It's in, but we need more pipe. Had a small electrical issue in the kitchen which needed to be handled before everything caught on fire - it's kind of dry now that we've stopped all the leaks - but the plumbing is back on schedule and we should have cold running water tomorrow. Friends are coming over tomorrow to help me pack, since we've been out here working all day and night. Um, we can keep the garage till the end of the month, right?"

There was silence for a bit. Then she said, "Well, it sounds like we'll have to go with the 28th, doesn't it?"

Um... that's not what I was aiming for (I just wanted her to know that we're working hard to get everything possible done ASAP), but... OKAY! I'll take that.

Hung up. Collapsed in a chair. Hopped back up because the rotozip was in the chair. And got on with the day.

Cut a lot of drywall today. Most of it incorrectly. In my defense, Zorak changed the plans twice on me, after I'd already measured and marked. There were more lines to follow than the Metro in DC. And, I'm bad at this stuff to begin with. So, there's drywall (greenrock, moldboard, whatever that stuff is) in the bathroom now. It took more work than it ought to have, but that's okay. As long as I didn't have to handle the electrical issue in the kitchen, I'd happily be there now, still cutting. It's a worthwhile trade-off.

Wonderful Neighbor Ben handled the Fixing of the Lighting in the kitchen. He made a lot of gutteral noises, but there was no screaming or falling, so I assume it went well. He's been such a blessing to us - not only is he wonderful help, but he has such a good attitude and keeps his sense of humor when things get weird (as I'm sure you've guessed, they have done that a time or two). We truly appreciate him.

Brought blankets and fuzzy soft things to put on the futon. Smidge was in heaven. He curled up on the futon with a blanket and a stuffed fleece hat/pillow thing and slept soundly and peacefully for two hours, even with reciprocating saws, shop vacs and hammers all being used in the same room. There's just something about wool and fleece that is so comforting. (She says, wiggling her toes inside wool socks and snuggling deeper into a fleece sweater. Hmm, I wonder where he gets it?)

The boys were much more inclined to at least give a nod to the rules of civilized behavior today. I appreciated that, and let them know. We split up for the drive out and back, so we each got some special time to dote on the children. John received a small set of tools to go in his tool belt - his pride and joy. He has measured everything in the house at least twice (and he's better at it than I am, that's for sure!) He's on a Big Guy roll, and was thrilled to help pump gas tonight - his cheeks flamed bright pink and he was obviously freezing, but I don't think he noticed it through the glow of accomplishment. James got to lock up the basement tonight all on his won. He was so very proud of the job he did - he even dragged a cinder block to the door so he could reach the highest latch and make sure he did the "very best job" he could. He beamed with real pride, and it made my heart want to burst with love.

I won a bet for a foot rub, but Zorak seems to have slipped off to bed, and I have a sneaking suspicion I won't be calling it in tonight. Perhaps I can still wedge in there for some snuggle time. (I'm just waiting now for my side of the bed to get warm before I head off - marriage has many perks, and although I didn't marry him for the bedwarming feature, specifically, it is a splendid bonus in the winter!)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

2 comments:

J-Lynn said...

Glad you had time for a quick update. I love the vision of Jacob snuggling on the couch sleeping through all that noise. I brought Belle to a friends house where she was running her VitaMix and we listened to a loud movie and she slept quietly not far from any of it. Gotta love those babies! ;-)

Sounds like things are going well. Or at least turning out well. ;-) I'm so glad. And YAY that they are giving you to the 28th, I'm so glad! I guess you caught that fly with honey huh? lol

Crissy said...

Geez, Dy. You're amazing.

I come here and read about your progress every day, but I'm usually too exhausted just thinking about all of that work you're doing to even leave a comment.

Somewhere along the way I picked up the fact that your sweet girl is going to be named Emily. What a gorgeous name. One of my favorites.
Take care of yourself, dear Dy.
I think of you often.

Crissy