Wednesday, November 16

Because This Was Just Too Easy...

Or we're handling it too well. Or there are evil spirits trying their best to thwart my efforts not to erupt like Vesuvius. Or just to throw a little creativity into the mix... Whatever the reason, we've just received a bit of bad news.

I'm stealing Sarah's mantra for this weekend:

I am a glacier. I am cool. I am calm. I am chilled. I am freakin' enormous and I will wear down anything in my path. I am cool. I am calm.

Remember when I paid this month's rent and asked for an extension to our 30-day notice? They said, "As long as we haven't rented your unit, sure!" I paid for the full month, and they cashed the full check. I called back twice that week to verify, but they still hadn't been able to find the records. They said they'd call if there was a problem.

That was three weeks ago.

They called tonight.

They found the paperwork. And it seems there is a family scheduled to move in Monday. Yes. Monday. Four days from now. (Breathe in. Breathe out. Repeat mantra.)

The leasing lady had already called the new family and explained the snafu to them. They graciously agreed to wait until the 28th to move in. But that doesn't give us until the 28th to get out. Oh no. The office said they'll need us to hand in the keys on Monday. They need to "get the apartment ready", and with Thanksgiving coming, they'll be closed Thursday and Friday, so they really need the keys Monday. In the AM. (Repeat mantra, start eyeballing the Khaluah.)

Okay...

Well, suffice it to say that Zorak, Dragon Slayer and Wonderful Provider, responded to the news as any provider would when faced with the very possible fear that he will not be able to provide. If this were someone else's life, I'd have found it funny that Mr. Uber Middle Child, who has spent the last ten years begging his Gypsy Wife to please-for-the-love-of-God-shut-up-and-stop-rocking-the-boat, suddenly began shouting, "WELL, I trust that you gave them a piece of your mind! You let them have it, didn't you?"

But it's not someone else's family, and so, it was just weird.

Um... no. (It's been a while since I've spiked coffee... how much would actually help?)

So, he and Wonderful Neighbor are still there, working out the initial panic attack. I asked one of the ladies from church to come take the boys to the park Friday afternoon (so I can speedpack). Claudia said she'd come help me finish the packing on Saturday. I will ask the Apt. Office if we can at least keep the garage through the end of the month.

When Zorak gets home, we will brainstorm the best way to mangle er, manage the situation and get heat into the house by Monday. When the lows are in the 50's, we can camp, but they've dropped into the mid-20's, and we aren't polar bears, so the heat needs to happen n-o-w.

John has another dentist appointment in the morning. We'll have been working several hours by that time, and then it's back into the fray. The boys and I had some extra snuggle time and an abbreviated family meeting tonight. We talked about the team effort. I let them know ahead of time that yes, I know this won't be a fun four days, and I understand. I let them know that we love them and that while my love for them will last forever, this stage in the process will not. I tucked them in with kisses and affirmations of total acceptance... and within just a few minutes, had two of three snuggled in my bed. Somehow, I think they get it more than they let on. So I laid down with them and stroked their sleepy heads, made them giggle, and kissed their brows.

Yes, I am calm. To panic right now would be to guarantee our failure. We may not manage to pull this off, but we owe it to ourselves and the children to try. Blogging may be light, or crabby, over the next four days. Please bear with us, and we'll return to our regularly scheduled perspective shortly.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Dy...I'm so very sorry. If only I was there to help you, I would! Bless your heart!!

Hang in there! If only I were there, I could raise a stink at the rental office for you! Ugh! How about an email campaign or phone campaign -- we could all band together and make them regret ever leasing that place again. LOL!

J-Lynn said...

I wish I could help!

({({({({({hugs)})})})})}

YOu are amazing!

Mamabird said...

UNbelievable. Man, I'm so sorry.

One day, you will have quite a story to tell about this whole experience. In the meantime, hang in there.

Rooting for you -
karen

Anonymous said...

Dy- just want you to know we will be praying for all of you! What stress-yet from what I have read about you and your family you will be just fine. You will come out of this little snafu stronger and closer to eachother(and how keen you're becoming at crisis management). I know this doesn't help you pack or get heat but I hope it helps in some way.God is with you and he will take care of you.
Lisa

Stephanie not in TX said...

What Renee says is true in Texas. They cashed your check. You have a legal right to that place for the full month.

I'm calling them names for you.

H said...

The money. The money. The money!

They cashed your check. Did they at least return it? Can you check into your laws in Al to find out what recourse you have? Since when can they cash your check and then give you a 4 day notice that you have to be out?

If they've at least given you your check plus your deposit back ASAP as kind of a "let us make this up to you" guessture, then you could have a little something to work with.

You so much calmer. I'd be STEAMING right now. I AM steaming right now!

Praying for a quick solution!
Hillary

melissa said...

WOW. It sounds like you have been given some good advice/suggestions here.
Anyone up for a quick road trip to AL??

I am praying for you Dy. Call anytime. You can do this. You can do this.

Thom said...

Unbelievable. I'm so sorry for you guys. And I am SOOO willing to jump in on the nasty phone call campaign if you'd like to go that route. Seriously.

I know that in VA there HAS to be 30 days notice, in writing, and then it takes another 30-60 days for any ACTUAL eviction to lawfully take place. And I believe that requires a court order,too. So, I wouldn't sweat it too much about getting out by their very unreasonable date. They really have NO recourse other than possibly trying to hang on to your deposit. There's NOTHING they can lawfully do to ACTUALLY make you move out by Monday.

Hang in there, you guys! I'll be praying for you.

Amber said...

::Jaw Drops:: Ack!!! Well, that just throws things up in the air a bit, doesn't it. We'll certainly be thinking about you and your family in these next few days. Just think how amazing your crisis management skills are getting these days! ;-)

hornblower said...

What a mess, Dy!
But if there's anyone who can handle these challenges it's you guys.
And you've had some good ideas here - maybe you can avoid the move. Good Luck.
p.s. and I'm so impressed by how you made the time to make it as OK for the kids as possible. That's sweet.

Bob and Claire said...

Wow, Dy--I couldn't believe this when I read it! I'm praying for wisdom for you all to know the best way to proceed. Hang in there--you're an amazing woman!

Jules said...

Holy Toledo woman! I so wish that I was there to help! Watch the boys,help pack, help clean, whatever. This requires a massive set of hands to get the job done!

I would echo the thought that if they have your money you should be entitled to the place for the time you've paid for. Check it out, if you want to expend the energy on that. It may pay off.

I will pray for you guys that this will all fall together and especially that you will have heat in the new place!

You will laugh at this one day...you will laugh at this one day... ;)

Laney said...

Oh.my.God!!! *MY* head feels like it is going to freakin'explode!

I am totally up for that road trip, Melissa. Dy, seriously, Kevin is off for seven days starting tomorrow. You say the word and we are in the freakin' truck on our way to freakin' Alabama to freakin' yell at somebody or whatever!

I would totally chain myself to the toilet, and you know how close the toilet and I are, and.not.move.

Imbeciles! Shame on them! Have they no compassion or, at least, freakin' common sense? Oy! I am really mad!!!

Call me, please, if you need something!

Laney said...

O.k. I read all of the other "I will pray" responses and now I feel bad. I am going to pray for you, right now!

Staci Eastin said...

I am so sorry. Everytime I miss your blog for a day something happens. I promise I will not ever miss reading your blog again.

I wish I could help. But come to think of it, I don't get packed when I have a whole month to do so.

Hang in there! I will pray.

Staci

L said...

Oh, Dy!! You are such a trouper.

Deep breaths...in through the nose...out through the mouth...

This too shall pass.

((Hugs)) and []speed packing vibes[]