Tuesday, November 8

On the boys.

~John is reading short sentences now. He's thrilled. (So am I!) He climbs in bed each morning with a few books in hand, and we read while we wake up. He’s a lot of fun, and so incredibly affectionate. This is good time for him, and he needs it. His daily "reading lesson" while we're in this stage is his morning letter (a tip I gleaned from MFS a few years back). He loves taking those few quiet minutes together each morning to read a note just for him. It's good one-on-one, and it's... well, it's just good. All the way around. I love this life.

~James helped me measure and mark the mailbox post Sunday. That got us talking about angles and degrees... the next thing you know, we've marked up many boards with angles and bisections, equations and notes, and the kid owns the concept, the math, and the process of figuring this stuff out. He had a blast, and carried his "math board" into the back to show Zorak. We never did get the mailbox post finished, but we accomplished oh, so much more.

~Smidge is talking better and more regularly. He’s such a joy. I can’t believe I was so afraid of having a third child. If I’d known it’d be *him* I’d have probably tried to have twins! He’s so smiley and sweet, so exeuberant and full of expression. He loves to follow the daddy longlegs around the FH (Crissy, you would not believe the sheer quantity-in-bulk we have there!) and talk to them. If you blow gently on them, they hurry, and he thinks that is the. funniest. thing. He tried blowing on me the other day, though, while we were walking down the hill. Methinks I was moving a bit too slowly for his toddler pace.

Kiss those babies!
~DY

3 comments:

J-Lynn said...

ROFL@him blowing on you!!! That's great that John is doing so well, Lyss is starting to sound out words lately. And James is going to be like his daddy with that math stuff. He can tutor me when my kids get up to algebra age. ;-)

Your kids are so sweet Dy, I can't wait to welcome baby Emily!

melissa said...

Awwwwww.....Sounds like you're doing just great, Dy. And, yes, could you just take a day or two off and go ahead and teach James Algebra, and then just let him hang out w/ your cell phone all day? I have questions.......
Have a great day. Y'all are in my prayers.

Thom said...

What great kids! Thanks for sharing the update. It's so nice to read about good kids being brought up by good folks. Warms the ole cuckolds, you know?

And I can just SEE Smidge walking behind the daddy long-legs (and then behind you) blowing and laughing--SO cute!!!