Friday, November 25

Fine. We may never have running water.

I honestly don't care. We do have heat, and windows. And the floor isn't going to collapse anymore. That's more than I can say for a couple of the places we've rented in our lives. Besides, running water is so overrated. We can get a filter and haul water up from the creek. Or we can gather it from the basement when it rains. Either way, we will be living in the house come Monday, running water or no running water.

Actually, it would all be *done* tonight, if we hadn't decided to eat a celebratory meal at Fire Mountain (aka - The Motherlode of Local Buffet Joints). We went with great plans to feast, revel a bit, then return Home to complete the few menial, small -- yet startlingly important -- tasks that await before we may urinate indoors and quit freaking out the local wildlife, who are thinking, "Okay, OKAY, we get it. It's yours. Sheesh. Just quit, already."

Unfortunately, we ate until all five of us were just to the bursting point. And I mean that literally. Smidge's diaper exploded not five minutes after we left, and as the poor child had eaten himself into a coma, he never budged. Zorak only avoided puking because they did not have carrot cake on the dessert table tonight - otherwise, it'd have been a Monty Python skit like you've never seen performed live. The boys will make great farmers, if their appetites are any indication. And I? Well, let me just go on record as saying that, even this pregnant, I could eat the 72oz. steak in Amarillo in under an hour - and live to tell about it. (Well, I'd live, anyway...)

So we bailed and came back to the apartment. You know, so we could wallow in our own beds rather than on the futon or the floor. Besides, once we're out tonight, I doubt any of us would notice if the heat quit and the temperature plummeted drastically. We're really. Really. Full.

However, we're CLOSE. And it's good. And the bathroom looks quite nice (I love seeing the faucet through the doorway as I walk down the hall!) The stove was delivered successfully today. Funny little mix-up on that one - the warehouse never called to schedule a delivery after they cancelled Wednesday, so I called the warehouse this morning, just in time to receive the lovely news that our place was "the next stop on the list this morning"! Oh. Um. Should probably wake the children, then, and get out there, eh? (Did nobody tell these people we aren't living there? Guess not.) We made it out; I threw bananas and water at the boys (breakfast of recovering POWs!), dragged the commode out of the foyer (don't laugh - it's been really cold on the porch) and made way for (bugles blare in the background) THE RANGE. The delivery guys were nice enough to set it up, let me ogle it, and then put the box back over it to prevent me from wasting all day touching it, er, anything from damaging it while we finish remodeling...

We signed all the paperwork for our propane, so it'll be setup on Monday. Yippee. (I'm thinkin' we probably ought to pick up a water heater sometime this weekend. "Some Guy" has one for sale, but we can't find him now, and time's gettin' short.) We ran many errands, cleaned many rooms, and I must remember to double check pockets before doing laundry - James filled a 20oz. cup with acorns from one of his pants pockets before bed tonight.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Jules said...

I can't tell you how much I am enjoying reading about your Forever Home coming to life!

Running water? Who needs it? ;) There's lots of creative ways to fix that little problem...

You have so much to be happy about today- don't let the running water thing get under your skin.

Good luck!

Dy said...

Nah, nothing's going to keep us down now. Zorak is at the plumbing aisle right now (while, you know, I'm "packing") to get the necessary adjustment pieces to make the stretch between faucet outlets. WOOHOO!

And on today's thankfulness list: I am thankful that we've moved so much in the past ten years b/c we have very little junk. Lots of paper (ugh), but very little actual junk. Kinda handy right about now. :-)

Dy

J-Lynn said...

LOL I'm in awe at your buffet eating skills so late in pregnancy! We went to G.C. the other day and I was so upset I could only manage one plate and half a salad - what a waste! LOL

Hugs, you're SOOOO close! You've got running water, the creek. ;-)

HUGS

H said...

LOL Jess! That's a big unfairness in pregnancy, I think. The first half you really don't feel like eating. Then, by the time you get your appetite back, you can only manage a small portion before you're full.

Sooooo not fair!

But, you get a beautiful new baby after 9 months of that so, you know, that's nice. :)

Dy, I'm so in awe of your family! I love reading your blog and thinking, "Wow! I could never do that!" The idea of camping in the kitchen is something my boys would love too!

Have any of the snakes and rodents tried reclaiming their territory?

The Queen said...

Somebody go over to their forever home for me and just visually verify that all is well in Dy-land.