Saturday, November 19

On Help

It is difficult for me to ask for help. That lovely trait often comes across as being proud or perhaps even a control freak. I can't even pretend to claim the first, and there are too many documented instances of the second to deny, but that's really not it when it comes to asking others for help. The biggest problem I run into is that most of the time I don't know what kind of help I need. When someone says, "What do you need us to do?" I draw a blank. The second I hear, "Let me know if you need anything," I cannot articulate what I might need. Not at all. I could be lying nekkid in the snow, starving and sick, and be unable to think to ask for a blanket, a steak and some penicillin.

Right now, I know what I need, though, and it's not helping. I need Mary Poppins to come sailing in with her carpet bag and take care of all the things I don't know are in need of tending to. I need Zorak to come home early and pamper me for a wee bit. I need him to come home early and let me pamper him a bit, too. Unfortunately, none of those are likely to happen.

So, considering the lack of a good carpet bag full of tricks, and the lack of downtime for Zorak and I, today was really, really nice.

The house is about 80% packed. I spent most of the morning tossing miscellaneous papers and preparing random boxes (The Daddy Box, for Zorak's misplaced items; The Craft Box, for stuff the boys have strange sentimental attachments to, like paper bits and pipe cleaners; The Document Box, for the pile of paperwork that refuses to subside since we closed on the house). Then, when I'd cleared a path (albeit a narrow one), I called on the brave souls who offered to help. They came with smiles and children, and it was nice. Claudia and Michelle did a fantastic job and, for the most part, the kids all played wonderfully together (outside! WOOHOO!) We got the majority of the apartment packed, and then hit what just felt like a good stopping point for the day. I can't handle clutter and need to move the packed boxes out so I can see what comes next. So, we put on a fresh pot of coffee and just sat and visited while the kids played a bit. Adult talk. Woman chat. That was very nice. Their presence was a big, big help all around. I feel very blessed, particularly after feeling so very isolated for so long.

You'd think the boys would be exhausted by now (I am), but no... they're bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. They are currently using the few toys left unpacked to make all the noise imaginable in their room. I'm hoping they will collapse once I get them to be still for five or ten seconds. We'll see if that happens.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my dear, if I could come help you pack (with my magic bag) I'd be over there in a heartbeat. But alas, I think CA is just too far of a drive. :-(
I am the master packer, guess that comes from doing all those military moves. Know what I mean? Glad you have your coffee to pamper you a bit. That and a warm body to keep the bed nice and cozy.

:-)
Sleep well.
-dawn

Kim said...

The day we moved into this house, I had four couples here, all asking "What can I do?" and I just stood there, feeling like I wanted to cry, because I really didn't know. What I really wanted was four of ME, because everyone was asking questions and calling me.

Moving is sooo stressful. I hope you are feeling well.

I'm having a nice, big, fat cup of coffee....wish you were here, too.

Unknown said...

My dh and I can't blame the military for all of our bazillionth relocations. We just were not ready to commit to one place and got bored. Dh and I don't vacation well, so we just moved to change the pace. Stupid, eh?!? This is our third time in San Diego and this is home for a while! A good while, hopefully. Although, I am a little green with envy about your property! We couldn't even afford that kind of property here. Oh well.

As Mamabear said, I wish that I could have helped!

Hang in there Dy!