Monday, November 7

The Remodel, Day 14, The Highlights

New:
~All the necessary components of the bathroom are now... *drum roll, please* in the living room! But hey, they're ON THE PROPERTY! It's a glorious bath-in-a-box (er, boxes, actually). I must say, with a bit of imagination and x-ray vision, it's beautiful.

~The fridge is on order. It'll be here (good Lord willing) on Wednesday. No more living out of the cooler half of each week. Yay!

Not New:
~I can't even discuss the stove right now without having a palsy overtake my right eye. Something must give. Soon.

~We stopped by the cabinet shop at Home Depot today to see Gary, who had asked us to stop by, and he was gone. Of course. Jon, Emily, and Missy were also unavailable to assist us. That, evidently, makes up the whole kit 'n caboodle of Decatur's Home Depot cabinetry department, yet not a one of 'em was there. Weird. I have, however, decided the bookshelves in our living room would make wonderful kitchen cabinet stand-bys. So not all is lost. It's just taking a while.

Weird (and probably unnecessary):
~There was a strange odor in the neighborhood today. It smells like all the dogs in the county gathered for a fecal compilation contest. My first thought was that the septic had backed up, but no, that's not it. Then, of course, we peered cautiously into our Hillbilly Toilet (the one that's sitting on the front porch, awaiting execution) to see if anyone mistakenly used it sans plumbing. No, that's not it (whew - I cannot say how glad I am that this wasn't it!) We thought perhaps it was the polecat that met its fate on the main road a few days ago... but this isn't a bodily tissue odor, not even for a skunk. Something terrible seems to have happened to someone, or something, in the neighborhood - brownie pranks gone wrong, or Junior went off his meds and is running amok with the prunes... something. It is not, however, on our property, or our doing. THAT'S a relief! It also, however, means it's not in our power to make. it. stop. NOT such a relief...

~Have I mentioned lately how very much I love our bathroom faucets? They're my Happy Spot right now. I wanted to hang them from the ceiling as a motivator, but Zorak thought that was a little weird, even for me. Still, I can look at the picture on the box and give off small, happy sighs over those beautiful little faucets. Really, I love them.

Cool Idea: Now that we've been here seven months, and have a pretty good average to base this on...
~The boys and I have decided to take the money we would spend this week on late fees at the library and hit the used bookstore to fill our library basket. That way, while the money will still be gone, at least we can keep the books. Zorak made a Marge Simpson-like groan when I mentioned our plan, but the boys think it was a stroke of pure genius. We can't wait.

Well, now it's quite late, and there are so very many things running through my head, but I have a huge "S*** to Do List" for tomorrow (yes, that's the title at the top of the page), and so I'd best get going so I can get it all done with a smile on my face and a spring in my step. Or something like that. Truthfully, I'm looking to not yell at anybody. If I can do that, we'll call it good. But it sounds so much better the first way, no?

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Sheila said...

Does Ala have the central library system like Ga? We have the PINES system and can renew online. I have set Outlook to remind me every morning at 8:30 AM to RENEW LIBRARY BOOKS. ZooDad also has set his outlook to automatically email me eavery monday morning the following message.

"Renew the library books if you plan on keeping them any longer. Renew them, even if you plan on going to the library later today. 10 cents for one book is forgivable. 10 cents for 50 books is lunch!"

Should I set up one just for you?

This word verfications are getting longer and longer.

Amy Pearson Photography said...

You are one amazing woman. I've been reading about your remodeling with bated breath. :-)
I LOVE your idea on the used book store. We can renew online, but wouldn't you know, we've still managed to acrew almost $10 in fees this past week.
Stench. Now DID you figure out what it was? In our area, they're manuring the fields. Cow, chicken, and anything else that smells foul enough. And to think our food grows in that . . .

;-)

mekanamom said...

Dy, you are a gifted writer! I am really enjoying your blog and love your stories.

You don't happen to have a mushroom farm anywhere nearby, do you? That particular eye-watering aroma will be a regular occurance if you do. It's ok. You'll get used to it... just don't host any weddings or parties at your house unless you clear it with the mushroom farm people first. ;-)

If it's not a mushroom farm, then all I have to say is "You lucky duck."

Shel (who now equates the most interesting smells with "home")

Dy said...

Yeah... we still have no idea what the smell is. Did anyone see Flight of the Intruder? I suspect we may have one of what that ship had on the loose. This isn't your basic "pungent manure" smell, this is your "did someone forget to empty granny's bedpan last week" smell... *shudder*

Sheila, you "can", technically, renew online. But it's a logistical tiger trap, and checkouts are only for two weeks. I was doing so well on a three-week plan, lol. They use the iBistro system, which is what we had in MD and *loved*, but it's not fully functional here yet, and it's a real nightmare to naviagate. Maybe once we get settled, but in the meantime, we're spending more on late fees than I'd *like* to be spending on wine, and that's just wrong. ;-)

Shel, it's so good to see you here! I don't know if we have mushrooms. I've seen cotton, soy and corn. Will have to look for that. Oh, I really hope that's not it, though - this is b-a-d.

Oh, but the leaves are just GORGEOUS this week! :-D

Laney said...

LOL!! Don't you just hate not knowing what it is that smells! My mother used to call me the town criar (sp?) of farts and smells. If someone farted, they best cop to it, or i will question everyone. Just say, excuse me, for cryin' out loud! Mystery scents drive.me.nuts!

Curiosity is getting the better of me. I'm ready to drive down and see the FH! Can't wait for pics!

The Queen said...

The granny's bedpan odor makes me think maybe pig manure? That stuff makes my eyes water.

J-Lynn said...

Yikes, maybe you have a goat or pig farm you're downwind of? And they cleaned it like they do once-every-3-months? YIKES lolol

I'm sorry about the smell but I LOL'ed (truly)at the "Junior running amok among the prunes" comment...ROFL!

LOL@the faucets too! There's a commercial around where the woman goes to this famous designer, plops a faucet down on his desk and says, "Design our home around this" lol That's what you reminded me of.

HUGS & love...

Unknown said...

We once lived in Rogers, AR and were downwind of chicken farms...that is not a good smell! Ew!