Wednesday, November 9

Our Little Knight Will Be Fine

Thank you for your prayers and thoughtful words. They mean so much, and John smiled a big smile when I told him people were praying for him and sending him hugs. He got one for each of you and by the time he had them all, he was a giggly mess. Thank you.

We had a great visit at the dentist's office. They got us in, treated him so well, checked him out thoroughly, and sent us off with a handful of cream packets for his lip and instructions to call if there's no improvement by Friday morning (or even if there is and we just want to have him looked at again before the weekend).

His lip is pretty bad off, but it isn't directly from the Novocain reaction. The best our dentist can piece it together, the reaction John had in the office made his lip itch. Since it was still technically numbed, however, he couldn't feel just how hard he was scraping and gnawing to make the itch stop. Until, of course, the Novocain wore off and he was left with a pretty heavily lacerated lip. And because he's not much of a complainer, he never said it itched. The only thing he said was, "I wish it would stop feeling fat. It's getting annoying."

John seems to feel tremendously better now that he knows what's wrong. And now that he knows it'll go away, he's not quite so self-conscious about it, as well. His spirits were up today, and he asked if we could go to the house after lunch.

So that's what we did. The boys dug for bugs and helped throw more stuff on the fire (talk about the eternal flame!) I did clean up duty from the work the guys did last night (they're making great progress! The laundry room was being framed out and the pipes going into the main bath when the boys and I left! WOOHOO!)

We got home later than I'd have liked, but early enough for a warm bath, a good supper, and some songs before bed. That is just what Dr. Mom ordered, and will help everyone cope better.

We picked up a few read alouds when we visited the bookstore the other day (will blog about that in the morning - I think we've found our Alabama equivalent to Maryland's *Bay Books*! Yippee!) We decided to hold off on reading Farmer Boy until we're camping out at the house, so we've started with The Borrowers. It's good to have our noses in a book again. Life just doesn't feel quite right without that time each day.

And ya know what? This mama is tired. I'm going to clean my mouse and take a hot shower.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

J-Lynn said...

I'm so glad he's on his way to feeling 100% again!

Thanks for talking with me so much today - it was a stressful day!

HUGS...

Laney said...

Coming in late but I have been following poor John's saga. What a trooper! He reminds me of my favorite uncle, Tom. He is always getting hurt or sick and he just takes it in stride. Once he sliced his finger open with a razor knife that later required 9 stitches. His temporary solution? Two beers and some electrical tape to "stop the bleeding."ROFL!

I am so happy that the FH is progressing in such a timely fashion!

Thom said...

I'm so pleased to hear John is on the mend and feeling better! :0D

Unknown said...

I hate that numb feeling. Actually, I'm surprised that I haven't done something like that myself.

Poor John. Give him another hug.

I know that you must feel A LOT better too!

Have a great day!

H said...

Oh, I'm so glad he's doing better! I just love it when our little guys try so hard to be brave and manly!

I responded on the WTM board, but it's buried now. So I'll repeat it here. I was thinking that John's lip is going to become family legend, and it might be nice to have pictures to go with it. :)

Have you thought of making up new verses to the "I Love My Lip" song from Veggie Tales?

"When I was just a little guy
I bit my lip and made mom cry.

It really hurt.
Drool's on my shirt."

Or have him listen to the Bill Cobsy routine when he's in the dentist chair.

Or tape record him reciting tongue twisters.

The possibilities are endless!

Glad he's doing better!

Hillary

Amber said...

I'm glad to hear that things seem ok and that you've found an explanation. John sounds like an amazing kid - I love the image of him dissolving into a giggly mess from the first paragraph!

I am so impressed at the progress you guys are making with your new home - it is just so exciting to read about and think about! (and so much less tiring than actually doing it! *grin*)

Spinneretta said...

WONDERFUL... I am so glad he's feeling better :) And I am glad he liked his hugs from us ;)