Sunday, November 27

I took photos specifically to post tonight!

Then I left the camera at the house. Drat. It's nothing terribly exciting, but I thought it was beautiful: cold water rushing from the bathroom faucets! Cold water filling the commode tank! We got some cute ones of the boys, too, but will save those for their engagement parties one day. *wink*

So. We have heat, water, and a toilet. My life is complete. The rest will fall into place. As Zorak pointed out, we can't quite call it "instant" gratification, but we're to the point of tangible results with each new day. That'll work.

The apartment is almost completely packed and what little is left is ready to load and move. And, of course, it's going to rain for the next two days, then snow and rain. *smile* (I have to smile, or I might cry.) Thank heaven for tarps!

Y'all keep saying you couldn't do this, but you know, you could. You really could. If you saw the place, with the sunlight glinting off the dew, heard the deer rustling around in the brush at dusk, and felt the warmth of the wood stove on your chilled toes, you'd probably be even less whiney about the process than I am (in real life). As for roughing it, we don't really rough it (other than the outhouse action). Tonight we had grilled chicken, green beans, and mashed potatoes for supper. We washed it down with hot coffee (gatorade for the boys), and enjoyed music with our supper (gotta love a clock/radio!) That's not so bad. I think most of us had it harder in college, trying to digest week-old pizza washed down with warm Dr. Pepper. Really, when you're working toward a dream, and you're doing it together, things become completely do-able. It just has to be your dream, and your team, to make it feel that way.

And I also must 'fess up here, and say that it's all Zorak. He's the man behind the action. Lately I just waddle around, playing gopher and, occasionally, apprentice. (Like tonight, I got to play with the plumber's putty!) Mostly, though, I sit and hand him things and groan when the baby jams a leg up my esophagus. I put things back and vacuum a lot. Pretty useless, to be honest. He's the one hashing out the codes and whether there's a better way to do things, while I sit there, staring at the hole in the wall, thinking, "NOW, I understand why construction is generally so shoddy - by the time they get to this point, the entire crew is ready to just use Liquid Nails on everything, slap some paint on it and call it good." About all I do is keep him focused on deadlines and provide the occasional comic relief (as this evening, when we discovered -- too late -- that I can no longer fit between the studs). Yup, he's The Man: Daddy, Husband, HomeBuilder, Dragon Slayer, Swashbuckling Hero. I am so freakin' lucky!

And now, to finish the task!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

22 comments:

Janet said...

Oh, I'm just dying to see pictures!

Dy, you really are an amazing woman. (hugs)

Janet

CarolynM said...

You go, Girlfriend! Hey, did you get a pic of you not-fitting between the studs? You know, for Emily's engagement party!!!

Amber said...

Hi Dy, sounds like things are going well! Just wanted to check in and say that we've been thinking about you and your family. I am so impressed with the amount of progress you all have made so far, it really is exciting to hear about it all.

Looking forward to those pics! :-)

Laney said...

We need to talk about this little statement:

"I put things back and vacuum a lot. Pretty useless, to be honest."

The vacuum is the single most wonderful invention to mankind since, well, since, O.K. I can't really think of anything right now. But, time spent vacuuming is time well spent! Make it a sport, throw some carpet fresh down and time yourself vacuuming it up. See? Very useful!

Christmas in the Forever Home! How awesome is that?? :-)

Spinneretta said...

That's mean... teasing us about the pictures... and then not posting any!!!!
Oh well... I hope you are snug in the forever home today... I shall just have to image it.
as for the deer part... DS would be terrified for some reason he has this idea that deer are going to 'get him' by crashing a hole through his wondow!!
I don't think it is the stuffed and mounted head we have up... he did speak about them before it went up...
But he and DD are obsessed with the deer head... he calls it 'Johnny' and talks to it ;) You Have to get one!
No, it was not hunted... it was a car accident that killed it ;)

~Rachel~

Spinneretta said...

or even WINDOW! ;)
Sorry, I can't spell :|

Thom said...

Heat, water and a toilet! YAY!!
The Forever Home is officially inhabitable!
You guys are such a great team. :0)

Jersey Girl said...

I won't say aanything about not seeing the pics, others have done it before and for me. I knew you were going to hear from Laney when I read the "useless" reference to vacuuming. You've got to watch your back, now. hehe
Water in toilets that flush, aaahhhh!

Amy said...

Okay, it's been 5 days since you had to be out of the old place. Plenty of time to get a coffeemaker and a computer plugged in and get us updated. Hop to it, girl!

Of course, I'm kidding and you know I'm thinking about you and your Alabama boys.

Here's to being home for the holidays.

Laney said...

Helloo-oo-ooo! Is there an echo-echo-echo??

(tapping foot) We're waiting!!:-)

J-Lynn said...

I talked to Dy via phone the other day. I don't know when she'll get internet but please know they are there and warm and happy in the F.H. :-)

Jess

Thom said...

I know you're all busy and happy in the FH, but I SURE do miss coming over here and reading about your family's adventures. Check in with us as soon as you're back online. You are MISSED!!!!!

Janet said...

Thank you, Jess!

Fe said...

What Janet said!

Thank you, Jess!

I'm another who loves to come and read the continuing adventures. And I was getting a little worried until I thought to read the comments! Glad to hear that you seem to be doing well in the F. H.:-)

Barbara said...

Ditto on kudos to Jess, and What Janet Said, and I am SO right here with Fe. Comments? Why read the comments? Obviously Dy is out of contact... forever! Oh, right, read the comments :)

Staci Eastin said...

I keep on checking back, day after day after day, hoping and waiting.

So, who is your internet provider? If people all over the country starting hounding them, perhaps they would get on the stick.

This is harder than waiting for Christmas!

CarolynM said...

Wondering.... if you received a package??? (I should have included my phone number -- realized that too late. :-( ) I understand you are busy settling in and preparing for Christmas -- not to mention adding little details like HOT water and actual walls. Be assured you are not forgotten -- it looks like many families are thinking of you and praying for you.

L said...

Every night, since November 27, I've been dropping by to see how things are going at the FH, hoping your internet is finally up, or that you dropped by the library to use their computers, or maybe a friend's...

But, no pressure.

Just wanted to be sure you're all doing well and wish you a happy, happy Christmas! I'm imagining you pigpiled, bundled up in flannel (or camouflage), snuggling with the boys, enjoying an extra large cup of coffee. Cheers!

Thank you, Jess, for keeping us posted. Please pass along our best wishes to Dy and family.

Spinneretta said...

Still Missing you :(
AND CONGRATS at being nominated for the homeschool blog awards!!

Still would like to see the photos...

Anyway, MERRY CHRISTMAS, and hope to see you soon!

Love Rachel

J-Lynn said...

I have good news fellow Dy-stalkers ;-)

Dyan will be back online hopefully within DAYS! :-)

Between cabinets and insulation and all that fun stuff her DH is working hard to get her back online. I think he's noticed the withdrawel symptoms getting worse. ;-)

So just hang in there folks!

Jess

Amy said...

Thinking of you and the gang, Dy! Have a very Merry Christmas!

Laney said...

Merry Christmas, dear Dy and family!!!!