Thursday, November 24

The Remodel... Thankfulness

We spent the night at the Forever Home again last night. Zorak had cut some oak from a tree knocked down during Katrina. Not only does it look absolutely charming stacked neatly along the edge of the front porch, but, mmmm, it burns much better than the, er, scrap stuff we've been burning - warm and wonderful all night long.

The boys piled into a tent in the kitchen. Zorak and I stayed up late, talking and drinking coffee at our Favorite Table. We talked dreams and surprises, wall colors and finishes, children and family. We strolled in the meadow and watched the stars turn in the night sky. We held hands, laughed about the amazing events that brought us here, to Alabama, to our "Home". Never would've guessed this is how our life would be, not in a million years.

We gave thanks, even, for the things that had made us angry or sad at the time of their occurrence, for it was each and every step we took that brought us here. It's the easy steps, the voluntary steps, that nobody, including us, has a problem being thankful for. But without the heartache, the fear, the uncertainty to push us down unexplored or undesired paths, we would not have come this route. And we are so thankful we did. It feels good to be in a place where we can look back and understand, be at peace with what has happened, and look forward to what will come.

Today we worked. Well, Zorak worked - he worked like a man possessed. I piddled around a bit, then took some much-needed special time with each of the boys. They needed that. I needed that. It meant I wasn't much use to Zorak, but he didn't grumble, and I appreciate that more than I can say.

James and I took a walk. We found another mystery fruit, discovered another type of oak on the property, followed a game trail, and made instruments from fallen nuts. I watched my little guy maneuver the trail, help me heft a fallen log, and offer to hold my coffee while I attempted to retrieve a mystery fruit for examination... and I melted with love and appreciation for this little man and how he is gliding into his new skin so nicely. He's mighty impressive.

Then I snuggled with Smidge, sang him songs, shared his chips. He fell asleep cradled in my arm, his hand in mine, and a smile on his face. That's more like it.

While Smidge was drifting off to sleep, John came and curled up beside me. He asked about The Man From Snowy River. I offered to watch it with him. We talked and talked and missed most of the movie, but had a really nice time. He got quiet. His head on my leg grew heavy, and his breaths slowed and deepened. I peeked down to see one exhausted little guy, worn out from trying to keep up and keep going. He looked so little, lying there with his lashes draped over his rosy cheeks.

I could have lumbered up at that point, with both boys asleep, but I stayed there, stroking brows and caressing backs. That part was all for me, and it was good.

Busy day tomorrow. But a great day today.

Kiss those blessings!
Dy

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Dy...that just sounds wonderful. My eldest turned 9 yesterday. While I love that he is getting older and less dependent, I sure do miss the days when dad and I could do nothing wrong!

I will kiss my babies!

Anonymous said...

Your words brought tears to my eyes today. I feel so blessed to have two wonderful children, and will make time today to snuggle with each of them and breathe in their child-like smells. Thank you for the reminder that they will only be like this once.

Bless you and your family, Dy.
Happy-late-Thanksgiving.

-dawn

J-Lynn said...

Sounds like heaven to me. :-)

Glad you had such a memorable, wonderful, sweet filled day...

I love you guys

melissa said...

Beautiful, Dy. If you and Charles are already taking that moment to reflect, I guess it means you must have "arrived" at something. A new starting point.

We missed you all so much at Thanksgiving this year.

You are doing such great things for that family of yours. It really is an encouraging thing to read.

Emily said...

What a memorable day for you guys and the kids! Happy Thanksgiving!
You guys really were missed at Mom & Dad's this year :)