Thursday, July 17

Shhh. Balcony Pictures!

I slipped out there this afternoon and took some pictures, just for Konk, who said she needed some encouragement. Here you go, a little more progress. (If you are new, or don't remember what we started with, it began here, then with more info and pictures as we've worked, posted here, here, and here. There, now you know as much as I do.)

It has upright railings, now, with pretty cross bars. The pickets will go in behind them after we put the deck boards on. That way I can help. (If I tried now, the only thing I'd manage to do is cling to the joists and vomit all over the workbench beneath the balcony.) The eaves will be antique white, like the front, and the gable end will be that same 'sclusively greyish-yellowish-reddish High Veldt... oh, wait, wrong story. Anyway, it'll all match, eventually. The railings will be the same green as the porch. The deck, itself, will be the same as the gables.

And here is a view from beneath the peach tree - you can see how the balcony angles around to wrap around the house. (Zorak asked me to point out that yes, there is another piece of bandboard waiting to go up, there on the corner. The post won't just stick out like that.) The rest of the cross bars are what he's working on in the evenings this week. It's so exciting to look out the windows and see this take shape! That area beneath the front part of the deck will eventually be screened in, with a rock knee-wall and a stone floor, ceiling fans and creature comforts and such.
Actually, as I look at the pictures, I tend to see, not what we've done, but what remains to be done. That's why I don't post pictures very often. I get twitchy. So, I'll just add that we'll be replacing the basement doors. And now I'll quit. But just had to say that. :-)

We asked the boys if we should start putting the deck boards on the front, or the side, first. We both thought they'd opt for the side, so they can use the door from the kitchen to get to the back yard. But, no, all three said the front should be done first, "so we can cook out there sooner!" Ah, yes, food is a priority. Glad to see our indoctrination is working! Muahaaahaahaaaa!

And, I have a question. I think it was Laura who asked if this will be a deck, balcony, veranda, or what. Um, but I'm not sure I know the difference. Anybody want to hazzard a guess? I think I always thought of a deck as being on the ground level. A balcony up on the second level. A veranda having a solid covering or roof of some sort, spanning the full width of the structure and/or wrapping around. So, that makes this an actual balcony, right? Or are my definitions wacky? I don't know, but I'd love to learn!

The kids are getting excited. I think they may decide all this work has been worth it, in the end. (I hope.)


Kiss those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

mere said...

Ooooooh, It's beautiful! The feeling of accomplishment you guys are gonna have when it's all done will be so worth it! It may even require a "born again balcony bar-b-cue".

You guys are awesome!

mere

Jenni said...

It looks wonderful, Dy! I'm so excited for you!

Danny and Caleb just laid the last bit of stone on the house yesterday. Today they are putting more of the stone on the garage. They left the bits above the doors and windows bare and will put wood there rather than stone because eventually we will have a porch or deck or veranda or balcony above anyway. Yes, we had a similar conversation yesterday! I think our terms were limited to porch and deck though. Now I need to go look.

Fe said...

Verandahs (the only one of the three that I have real experience with:-) ) _have_ to have a roof!

Anonymous said...

WOW - you guys have made a lot of progress. It's going to be amazing when it's all finished.

Amy@thefoilhat.com

Konkadoo said...

I know I said "inspire" but you know how when you see a project that is just so nice that you know you will never live up to that and you may as well go hide in your hole and give up before you start?

Well, that's how good that is.

I really want to come over when it's finished and hang out up there, watching the lovely world go by.

L said...

Well done!

What a lovely spot. You guys are amazing. A rock knee wall and stone flooring will be perfect. Got any rocking chairs?

Melora said...

It looks gorgeous! I particularly like those criss crossed rails. And I vote for Balcony.

Bridget said...

It has really been amazing to watch your forever home come together. Way to go!!

Anonymous said...

The balcony looks great! Roy said almost exactly what you did when I asked him the difference in a veranda, deck and balcony :)

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Sorry I didn't get a chance to comment yesterday, took an unexpected day trip with the kids. Anyway, the balcony is looking awesome. Your husband is such a talented man when it comes to building things. Oh, and he's a pretty good daddy too! ;-)