Monday, July 21

Back to School!

Dang. It's a PAIN to get back into a routine! (Yeah, this is why we try to go year-round. I know. Well, *now* I know, anyway. Or remember, at least. I knew there was a point to it...) We did it, but we were all exhausted long before the day was up.

However, the day itself actually went incredibly well. John was up and at 'em early. He finished typing, piano practice and most of his math before James could be cajoled into slinking into the light to join us for breakfast. (James has my Child-of-the-Night genes. He wants to go live with Amy.) The boys enjoyed their first lesson of Meet the Great Composers. They got 80% of the day's work completed. We outlined a GP plan for writing work. AND, the highlight of my day, they didn't forget everything they learned before our break. That's good stuff, right there. That'll get ya through, man.

Smidge drove every one of us nuts with his incredibly non-redirectable enthusiasm. Please, Lord, help him learn how to pace himself. He's going to need that motivation when he's eight and doesn't want to write soooooo much... And while I'm praying, Please, Lord, help me always to enjoy the delight of learning and teaching the kids. I pray that enthusiasm will always be at least a little contagious, and that a smile will always be on the ready. The hardest part of my day was figuring out how to fit in three children at three levels, but that's only a challenge to be met, not grounds for going into hiding. No matter how tempting. I can do this.

James had a good groove going until he made the mistake of not at least looking like he was engaged in something. At that point, I begged him to take EmBaby out of the room. Somewhere. Anywhere but right there beside me, whining at me to mooooove. Ironically, when I was done working with Smidge (I forgot how hands-on the littles are in their lessons! If you're currently inundated by small children who cannot be left to their own momentum without grinding to a screaming halt, believe me when I tell you it gets better. But, also believe me when I tell you that you'll either have to keep having children yourself or borrow someone else's small one in a few years before you'll actually feel like it got better. It slips up on you so slowly that you don't realize how independent those kids have gotten.) ...anyway, by the time I had Smidge squared away, James and EmBaby were happily building things out of stuff and couldn't quite be interrupted at the moment. *grin*

I'm going to have to find a way to get it done without losing momentum or ignoring the Small Ones. If anybody has suggestions, please fill me in!!

We enjoyed a light supper of pasta, salad and steamed squash. Angel Hair is the *ultimate* summertime pasta, since it only takes three minutes to cook. The kitchen can't heat up before we eat. SCORE! Then, in spite of the fact that it was still hot-n-sticky out, we just had to have dessert out on the balcony. The kids made me laugh. They spent half the time looking for shapes in the sillhouettes of the tree canopy against the evening sky. They spent the other half wondering what else we could put in the ice cream. Zorak and I just sat there, feeling quite stable and secure, smiling at one another as if we shared a warm, fuzzy secret. It was nice. A nice first day back.

Tomorrow, trash day (aren't you glad to know that?), library day (I think this is EIGHT WEEKS RUNNING! Maybe seven. Enough to lose count. That works for me.), and hopefully some general purpose loafing (it is, after all, still summer...)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Sheila said...

You're scaring me girl. We took off completely this summer. No work at all.

We'll start back next month with all. four. boys.

Seriously, I'll have a 7th grader in algebra and a kindergardener who just will not be left out of the the school table this year.

He wants his own shelf in the school bookshelf and everything.

Jenni said...

Sounds like a great day, if a bit exhausting. I love the way you write about your school days and moments with the kids. You have such a beautiful perspective on things.

Dy said...

Sheila, I can't fathom all four. But I guess this is why we get to ramp up, one at a time, right? You can do it! (And you get to go first! Yay! Take detailed notes and share???)

Jenni, it was exhausting. This would be so much easier if we were good at organization. But it is good. It is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

You're off to a great start. Send James here anytime - he'll fit right in with us night owls.

Amy - thefoilhat.com

Jules said...

Ack! Your mention of trash day reminded me that Derick called me two hours ago to remind me that today is trash day and he forgot to put the can out to the road!

Good thing our garbage man comes later in the day.

But thanks for the reminder! :)