Thursday, July 3

Spice things up!

When things are going just a lit-tle too smoothly, give this a shot. I guarantee it'll do away with that pesky monotony of ease in a jiffy!

When your elder calls to say he and the pastor would like to come visit (or anyone with whom you have only a casual acquaintance, and still feel the need to be dressed when they arrive), be sure to invite them to stay for supper. (Which I did out of guilt, because, seriously, it's the equivalent of driving to another state to come all the way down here, you know - this is why it's taken three years for them to schedule the first visit).

Then, make certain you have to be somewhere every. single. day the week of their visit. That way, you won't be bothered by all that cleaning and decluttering. (For fun, watch your husband's eyes grow wide when he sees that the children have taken the beer cans from the recycling bin and used them for yard darts and frisbees!)

The night before your guests arrive, be sure to write up an absurdly overly-packed prep schedule that entails nobody touching anything. Ever. (Then stay up late, just to really add to the "wow factor" of the whole experience!)

And, if you're still feeling like it'll be okay, and you really think you have this whole thing figured out and you're making good headway...

Be sure to break the BIG shelf in your fridge. Man, watching those things implode is better than any fireworks display known to man!

Yeah, good stuff, ya know. I love my shop vac. And my sense of humor (the only things that prevented me from teaching the kids snappy new vocabulary words when the glass erupted in my hands!)

Thankfully, it's a gorgeous day out, the kids are being almost helpful, and my fridge is so. incredibly. clean right now. :-D

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

2 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Oh dear - you'd think you'd learn NOT to spice things up quite that much when you have five children! :)

I tend to do the same thing - my hospitality gene kicks into overdrive and it is only later that I think "what did I DO????"

Then periodically I have a complete and total over-reaction and inform my husband that we're putting nothing, no NOTHING on the calendar for a MONTH. And he looks at me with a little disbelieving smile while I glower to prove just how serious I really am this time. :)

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Um, am I allowed to laugh yet? Or is there a time delay of 6 months to a year on this one? :)

((hugs))