Sunday, July 13

What?! Third grade, already?

Yeah, he didn't see that coming, either.
I don't know if this is some post-traumatic homeschooling disorder, or just Mommy Brain at an all new high, but for some reason, John is stuck in my head at about four years old. This has no bearing on reality, at all. He's funny and insightful well beyond his years. He remembers details and makes connections in a way none of my other children do. He's the one in whom I most often catch glimpses of the Man He Will One Day Be -- in his mannerisms, his speech, his thoughtful actions. I glance over at him and *kapow*, I have to do a double-take, because I could have sworn I just saw a 19yo Marine home on leave rather than an 8yo boy sprawled on the couch. Yet, when I sit down to make out the year's plan for him, I find myself stuttering and flailing about, wondering how on EARTH this child can be ready for third grade...

But here he is, and so there we are. Just gotta roll with it. This is our 3rd grade plan for John:

Math: Math-U-See Beta. John took his time in Alpha, and he learned it well. He also spent a great deal of this past year learning math as it applies to carpentry and surveying. So, while he isn't moving into Gamma yet, I also don't feel that he's "behind" in any sense of the word. He'll fly through fractions and decimals, with the practical experience he's already gleaned, and when all is said and done, nobody will ever look at him askew for the order in which he learned his arithmetic and math.

Latin: Latin for Children, Primer A. I think he'll enjoy it this year, and will also enjoy working on Latin through a different program than what his brother is in. That seemed to work beautifully this last year -- took a lot of pressure off John, and alleviated quite a bit of the boys' tendencies toward "education as a competitive sport".

Writing: John's writing plans are similar to James', only geared for third grade rather than fifth. (Funny how that works out, huh?) Imitation in Writing - Fairy Tales. (I suspected there was an order to the books, but Logos School's website is pretty lousy about helping you figure it out. So when the books arrived, I realized John gets "book 2" and James gets "book 1" - I would have switched them, but they're both already attached to their respective plans for the year. However, if you are interested in using this program, it seems that the Fairy Tales book is designed to be used after the Aesop's book.) Italic Handwriting, Book D Again, I went with Italic handwriting this year, because unless this child also becomes a doctor, his current handwriting may find him isolated in a military outpost in Siberia, hand writing ciphers. I don't know, maybe that would work for him, but I'd like for him to have options. Spelling Workout C This has come in, and the boys are both absolutely, positively tickled pink to have a workbook in their hot little hands. Woot!

Reading: I don't have an official list together yet (sound familiar?) However, his reading has taken off this summer in ways that I could not have predicted. I'm glad I didn't have a list ready to go, because I think it would need significant updating shortly. As it stands, I don't think I'll have to work hard to get him to pick up whatever we may stumble upon.

The rest of the materials are things we'll work through together --

History: Story of the World, Vol. 3, with additional readings and encyclopedia work. A little outlining here and there. Good stuff. We'll start up... um, right after we finish up the Middle Ages...

Music: we'll be breaking this up into two segments
Theory: Meet the Great Composers
Practical: Regular piano lessons will continue.

Art: Artistic Pursuits (Got it in. It looks fairly painless, but then, that's how they suck you in. Still waiting for someone, anyone, to start an art co-op class in Morgan County... *hint-hint, nudge-nudge*)

Greek: easy, gentle intro with Hey, Andrew!

Religion:Kids Catechism, Lee Strobel's The Case for Christ for Kids, and interspersed work from Doorposts, Keys for Kids Daily Devotionals.

Still waiting for a science program to grab me and whisper, "Use meeeee, my preciousssss..." (OK, the "my precious" bit is new. I'm starting to get a bit manic about it, alright?) BUT, we did buy a riding mower, so there is hope that I can clear a swath down to the river that'll be wide enough to allay my fears of water moccasins or copperheads sneaking up on us. I've read Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, and since we do not have a mongoose, I simply do not rest easily around water in these parts.

Yeah. Anyway. Then we can take samples and do a bit of botany, or biology, or zoology. With a microscope. And a shovel.

I think that's it. He's all set, and now, we just have to wrap our minds around the fact that this is third grade... sheesh, where does it go?

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Bridget said...

Just wait until you turn around one day and he is standing there in a cap and gown receiving his diploma. That's when you really say "Oh my gosh, where did it all go?". Did it last year and getting ready to do it again this coming school year. I swear I'm not this old

melissa said...

THIRD GRADE!!!! Oh my gosh!!! How can it be possible??? Isn't JAMES in third grade?? LOL
Your plans look great. I'm not sure about science this year either. Have you looked at the How Nature Works, etc. books? They seem pretty laid back, but with lots to do in them.

Jenni said...

Oh! That second to last paragraph makes me sad. Na is going to public school in the fall. Who will do nature study with me? :o(

Is this the one you were calling Smidge? The picture looks like him, but I thought he was younger, adn I thought John was another one of your boys. (2nd oldest?)

Anyway, it sounds like a great year.

Dy said...

Bridget, I didn't realize your little guy isn't so little anymore! Graduating? WOW!

Melissa, I haven't seen those. I'll check them out. Thank you! I also saw something about Rainbow Science yesterday, so I'm going to track that down, too.

Jenni, no, Smidge starts K this year. He turns five in September. That'll be my next curriculum post. That one's going to get me hard, right there in the gut. Hey, maybe Danny will do Nature Study with you? *wink*

Dy

Amber said...

No way, Smidge can't be turning five in September!!! I guess that shows how long I've been reading your blog... *grin*

But wow, a fifth grader, a third grader, and one in K. Where does the time go? It looks like you've got some great stuff going there though!

Bridget said...

Dy,
Well, I have 2 little guys, 17 and almost 10, but neither one of them are so little anymore. sigh

Teribear68 said...

Have a look at www.mcwhizkidtscience.com and see what you think. This is what my DD (5th grade) is doing this year but the ages are 8-12 so you could probably use it for both/all.

Teribear68 said...

sorry they've changed their website address it's www.mcwizkid.com