Friday, July 25

Basement Frog

It's a rodent! It's a reptile! No! It's... BASEMENT FROG!
And this explains the dearth of critters in that back corner of the basement recently. That's a healthy lookin' fella, there, isn't it? (I have no idea if this is a frog or a toad, and to be honest, I'm too lazy to look it up. Ok, I poked around a bit. I think it's a toad. But "Basement Frog" sounds cooler than "Basement Toad". Since we don't plan to lick it or eat it, and the boys aren't currently hallucinating or anything, so I think we're okay.)
Zorak tried to catch it and liberate it back outside, but he/she (how can you tell? It's a she - her neck is light colored. Oh, the joy of the internet!) is FAST. I mean fast-fast, and rather agile. So. We still have a basement frog. It's kind of like having our own totem. Sorta. (And don't you love the nasty concrete floor? Someday, we'll acid etch it, now that we know how relatively easy it is to do!)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

H said...

Oh! Basement frog is cool! And *much* easier to live with than Basement Rodent, Basement Lizard, or Basement Giant Spider!

You could bring in a couple of others and have a colony to keep the cricket population down.

But one question haunts me.... how did it get in? If that big girl can get in, what else can?

...shudder....

Anonymous said...

sure it's a frog and not a toad? (how do you tell that??) But hey, just think of it as a cheap in house extermination service! Much better than a snake!

mere said...

Oh, We love BASEMENT FROG!

So, now you have to come up with a name for the place that reflects your new totem animal...

Very cool, made us laugh!

mere

Anonymous said...

You must be so very proud! ;-D It's a cute little froggie. Does it look pregnant to you? LOL!

~sdWTMer

Dy said...

Hillary, I'm sure she got in while we've been working on the balcony - the basement doors are open a good portion of the time. At least, that's the explanation I'm going with b/c I'd like to believe we've sealed up any other sources of egress down there...
Rochelle, from what I can tell, she's a toad, but like I said, "basement frog" sounds better to me. :-)It looks like she is a Fowler's toad, Bufo fowleri. I thought I'd added that bit after I looked around, but I see now that I didn't. And yes, she's more than welcome to stay. We just didn't want her to dry out and die back there.

Yes, Julie, I did wonder if she looked a little "great with egg", but I'm hoping that's just my paranoia speaking. (Um, and yours. *grin*)

Mere, I thought of your guys when we took the picture!

Bridget said...

I love your basement frog and I agree with Hillary, that is much better than basement giant spider. We run into one of those every once in a while and I think I have suffered quite a few heart attacks because of it. I HATE spiders! Have fun with your new pet.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

I used to hate frogs and toads, until I saw one snatch a June-bug right out of the air. After that, I decided that they're pretty cool critters to have around. :) Gah, I wish I could trade in our mice for one fat toad. Actually, that thing looks like it might be big enough to catch mice. Now THAT would be cool.

Jenni said...

Ew, no. No drying out and dying! Long live the basement toad!

The acid treatment is really easy. I've heard it works better with an older floor than a new floor and that any imperfections actually add character. Since concrete is dh's thing, he was super stressed that there were spots of the basement floor that did not turn out perfectly slick and smooth. (Bad conditions on the day it was poured.) He wanted to cover the whole thing with carpet so he wouldn't have to see the imperfections. I think it turned out very nicely and we don't have that nasty allergen hiding carpet. It's cheaper than carpet, too.