Monday, July 28

A Not So Classic Adventure

The stars nearly aligned today - the boys kept busy outside, Em and Jase napped simultaneously. Zorak and I looked at one another and yelled, "Wonder Twins, Activate!"

"Form of, woodworker!"

"Form of, seamstress!"

(No, not really. But it could happen.) The next few hours were a flurry of sweat, lint, sawdust and thread. Outside, it looks like he made a lot of headway.

Inside, it looks like... I glued my fingers together, put a patch over one eye, and tried to sew with my feet. I don't know what I was thinking. Maybe my WonderTwin ring is broken? (Couldn't be my total lack of skills, could it? Nah.) Then I ran out of thread. Actually, I didn't "run out" - I bought two spools (it's a huge couch), but Em ran off with one at some unknown point in the last four months and doesn't remember where she put it. So, just about suppertime, I was dead in the water. I thought I could just run into town, but the Suburban's broken. Or it just wanted Sundays off. Something like that.

So, tomorrow, Zorak will bring me gifts of upholstery thread and bandaids. And I will honor him with my offering of the upholstered version of the five-finger paper turkey. And all will be well in our world.

James helped me remove the weird fabricky stuff from the bottom of the couch. We should have counted the spiders that we vacuumed up, but I think we both got the heebie-jeebies and it's hard to count at that point. I was also able to point out how Daddy and Mommy work so well together. Daddy does things like planning ahead, making materials lists, and having the proper tools on hand. Mommy is more of an idea man. Yes, son, that is why we're removing staples from the couch with flathead screwdrivers. Very perceptive. I know. I wish Daddy could come help with the couch, too. *heart*

John watched Jase for me. He sat on the rocking chair with the baby in one hand, brownie bites in the other, rocking and watching TV. Every once in a while he'd look over at James and I doing the screwdriver dance, snicker, and say, "This is SO easy! I love it!" Even after Jase spit up all over him, he still thought he had the best job. I don't know if he can just put a great spin on things, or if it was that obvious that we were floundering with the couch.

EmBaby wanted to help. She has an unhealthy attraction to the t-pins. But I couldn't resist her charms (and the whining - that did factor into it). It was so sweet to have her there, leaning across my face, jabbing the pins into my fingers. She was so proud to help. (And that's when I realized we have no bandaids.) Thankfully, blood comes out in cold water, so all that'll be left are the memories. Good stuff.

Smidge had a rough start to the day. Everyone else had taken all the dangerous jobs, so he was left following Zorak around, hoping for a bit of the power tool action. I think he would have enjoyed it, had today not been hotter than snot and twice as sticky. But he ended up taking an impromptu nap and awoke in time to enjoy the end of AFV and supper with the family. So, when you're four, that's not such a bad day, after all.

And tomorrow, we will "uncancel" school for Smidge, get the rest of us back to work, and await the return of Zorak, bearer of thread and Daddy extraordinaire.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

mere said...

*Snort!*

Had I had coffee in hand, I would have had to put it down, for laughing at this post.

I'm sure your sofa is going to look much better than a five fingered paper turkey, but oh my, that made me giggle!

By the way, it's less hygenic than cold water, but your own saliva will take your personal blood stains out of fabric...it's an old quilter's trick...anyway...

Have a great day!

Jenni said...

I think I can tell you what's wrong with your Wonder Twin powers. The Wonder Twins could never have transformed into anything so productive as a woodworker and a seamstress. It was always something like a bucket and water or a bucket of water and a mop. That's why they were only junior superheroes. They needed to develop their powers and gain a little judgment and maturity in their crime fighting strategies.

Will you do a how to post when you're done with the couch?

Dy said...

Mere, I thought the point of recovering the couch was to remove the various bodily fluids, not add more? I'm just glad you didn't say urine would get it out. ;-)

Jenni, a *mop*! That's what I should have been! Could'a used a mop yesterday... hmmm. But we're old, so you'd think we could transform into something productive once in a while, no?

I can post a how-not-to, if you'd like. This was a rather unconventional project, I fear.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see pictures. Sorry about your fingers, though.

Amy - thefoilhat.com

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

LMAO

I always say, "Wonder Twin powers, activate!" to Ernie, but he didn't watch the right cartoons when he was little. He just looks at me funny. *sigh*