Thursday, July 26

Le Porch!

This picture was taken Oct 2005 - before we could let the kids in the house. See how we had the swings against the wall for seats to keep the small ones away from the edge? (And see how it wasn't working with James, right there by the front?) Scary! The little metal corner dodads weren't attached at the bottom - they could swing freely in any direction. And yes, the kids had secured the slide to the bumper buddy on the Suburban so they had someplace to play.
We've spent the last year and a half shooing children off the porch, mostly. Then, for Mother's Day this year, Zorak framed it in for me.

And the small ones could lean-lean-lean to their wee hearts' content! (I was standing at ground level for this shot - the land slopes steeply down on the right side, so it's quite a fall from up high.)

So, that was May. Um, late July (last week), we had it scraped of brown, green, yellow, and a mystery turquoise color paint (it took a while to get it all), and ready to go!
And now, it's our new Happy Spot!

I keep thinking I need a hanging plant to put out there... to die. And then I think perhaps we'll forego the killing of the plant and just enjoy the view. The parts that are white (the eaves and the ceiling of the enclosed porch area) are still just primer white. They'll be an antique white soon, and that'll help tone it down a bit. We'll buy a ceiling fan next Thursday, and then this just may be the happiest place in the house.
(It may be already - that's Smidge, enjoying "coffee with Mom" on the porch.)

24 comments:

andie said...

It looks awesome!

Jenni said...

Beautiful, Dy! I love the green you chose for the porch railing. Are you going to screen it in or keep it as is? It would be nice either way, I just have fond memories of sleeping porches.

If you get a hanging plant, go with an asparagus fern. They're pretty and very hard to kill.

Dy said...

Thanks, guys.

Jenni, we love that green. The boys call it "Granny Green", b/c it's MIL's favorite color. :-) We're going to screen it in and put up a screen door, but not until next Spring. This is as much as we're going to do on it for now, and our next focus will be on the balcony. The big, scary balcony. Thanks for the tip on the plant. It does look like it needs a plant, doesn't it? Of course, I need a gardener, too.

Dy

Melora said...

It is a Wonderful porch! I love it.
The asparagus fern is pretty and Really tough (I had great luck with them at one point). I'm pretty sure it has wicked prickles, though, and very pretty red berries which are poisonous. So, if you hang one, hang it High. A Boston fern is pretty tough too.

Are you planning to do all your school out there in the fall? I hope to add a deck onto our house some day, and I imagine how nice it would be to do lessons outside. (Though the reality is that T., at least, would spend all his time getting worked up about every little ant and spider he could se.)

Rebel said...

That porch looks great! You all did a LOT of hard work.

Heidicrafts said...

And the green helps detract from the brick.

Is that morning or evening sun?

Claudia said...

That looks so great! Let me know about your luck with the gardener. :-) I am in desperate need of one.

Staci Eastin said...

Ooh. Looks so nice!

Spinneretta said...

It looks wonderful... very peaceful :) I wish I had a porch ;)

Jennie C. said...

Your porch came out just lovely! Congratulations!

Meliss said...

Your porch is just lovely! Looks like a pleasant place to spend time.

Looking at my wilting plants...Hey the kids are alive and happy!

J-Lynn said...

What a peaceful place - I want to come out again now! Smidge is such a happy kid - he's adorable, love that pic!

Great job Zorak!!! And of course you Dy and the boys too as you all scrambled to have it done.

Dy said...

Heidi, that's the evening sun. We get the morning sun in our wonderful bedroom window. :-)

Melora, we do enjoy breakfast out there, and I hope to do lessons there, as well. :-)

Thanks, guys. It's so much fun to know y'all have watched it come together with us. Thank you!

Dy

Needleroozer said...

It looks fabulous! I love the green color- you explained it just right! ANd who said that sweet tiny Smidge-baby could grow up and get so big!! No baby or toddler-ness to him anymore at all. He is such a big'un.
Hugs,
LB

mere said...

It looks fantastic! Great job!

mere

Bridget said...

I love a porch. Ours is our deck on the back and I love to sit out there and enjoy the mountains around our house.

Bob and Claire said...

Oh, that turned out so well! I love porches, and I think it's a shame they really don't put them on houses much anymore! A ceiling fan will make that just about perfect. I would want to spend a lot of time out there too!

Laura said...

Beautiful! And just think, you'll probably be able to enjoy being on it almost all through the year!

Emily said...

Love the porch, Dy!! You guys are always so inspiring (..errr, make me feel bad that we have not yet done much with our porch).

Also, could you put an extra brick or something else heavy in smidge's pants?? He is way too big :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It's gorgeous! And it must be that much more satisfying after doing so much work yourselves. Enjoy!

Kim said...

Your husband is amazing, with all that building expertise.

Laney said...

I love the green!

LOL at the plant comment. Fake plants baby!:-)

Laney said...

Did you get my first comment?:-)

Donna Boucher said...

Love it!!!!

Smidge is so big.