Wednesday, July 9

Plenty to do

The air was showing through on the pickup's front tires, so Zorak stopped in at a used tire shop yesterday and replaced them. That's usually a good way to go, but today he had to take the Suburban because one of them (on the truck) didn't hold air during the night. So, we're here for the day, but there's plenty to do here.

We'll gather some blackberries. I think some of the pears are ripe, too. The basement needs more work, as well.

The barn garden is sprouting beautifully. The salad garden has mystery plants, no root plants, and in spite of the lovely, mild summer, the lettuce and greens are a bit bitter. But oh, so pretty, anyway. Something ate the tops off the jalapeno plants. All that's left are green sticks protruding from the mulch.

John is reading the first Harry Potter book. James is nearly done with the sixth. I'm trying Great Expectations. We'll see how that goes - I'm not a big Dickens fan. And in between, we have plenty of fun adventures to take with Pooh and Frances, with Sal and Swimmy, with Sylvester and Chester. Yes, there's always plenty to do.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

2 comments:

Amber said...

I recently read Great Expectations and while I thought there were some good parts, I wasn't all that impressed with the whole. I haven't read much Dickens (Christmas Carol, Tale of Two Cities, and Expectations) but so far Tale of Two Cities is my favorite. Expectations had some pacing issues I thought, and the main character is just too whiny. Yes, high literary criticism, I know. *grin*

Jenni said...

I read Great Expectations my 9th or 10th grade year as part of English class. I really enjoyed it. I think Tale of Two Cities is the only other Dickens I've read (about the same time) and I really liked that one as well. I wonder why I've never gotten around to reading any others? We've watched Oliver Twist, Nicholas Nickleby, and Christmas Carol, but that probably isn't the same.