Wednesday, July 9

Food Storage

Ah, thank you, Jennifer! The calculator is from Walton Feed, and it is fantastic. You all can locate it here, if you're interested. It's not all-encompassing, but it's a nice start, and helps uncover any glaring gaps (oh, say, perhaps one may be a hard-core high-protein planner, leaving some of the other mineral-oriented foods a bit neglected, *ahem*).

Moving on, might as well round out this post with all the other stuff I find and forget.

Track My Food Storage - they have both a basic free option (max 25 lines, no analysis, but still handy), and a premium paid option (includes a number of other features)

There's a post here, at Survival Monkey (I love some of the names I've run across today - this one made me think of Ernie), with another spreadsheet calculator. I haven't played with it yet, but if I post it now, I can find it again when I have time. I'll post back on how it compares.

Of course, the good old LDS, perhaps one of the few groups of people left who intentionally plan not to have to look to the gov't if things get bad. Yay, you guys!! And while we're at it, thank you we appreciate the wealth of knowledge that's available due to your diligence.

Walton Feed also has a page that offers a great general overview for planning, including reasons to plan - ranging from long-term-trouble, to serious injury, and even the climatalogical hey-here-comes-another-one situations. (I love my dark, cricket-filled basement, I really, truly do.)

Hey, while we're on a roll, and in the hope of keeping it all in one place, want to share your favorite Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy link? (That just sounds much more fun that "emergency preparedness", doesn't it? And it also point out, since you can't see me, that my tongue is still firmly planted in my cheek. We just can't take ourselves too seriously around here, you know.)

Ok, I'm off to finish watching Becket with Zorak. (Does anybody else suspect that Richard Burton is Bill Murray's father? I know, it sounds odd. But watch the movie and tell me you don't see a resemblance...)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

I've never even investigated long-term food storage. :) I just googled "calorie based food storage calculator" and there it was. Glad I could help!

I learned quite a bit, too. We don't even have a weeks worth of food stored, even after going through Katrina and its (her?) aftermath.

Jennifer

Dy said...

"calorie based" - never, ever, ever would I have thought to use those words. I'm so Google impaired. Again, thanks. I'd begun to think I had imagined it!

You know, I'm (obviously) a complete novice at the long-term storage thing. I started this last October, I think, and within four months, we'd built up a two-month supply just by buying a couple extras here and there when we do our regular shopping. Since it's what I buy already, at least I know we're storing what we eat. :-)

It hasn't hurt the budget, at all, and it's nice to know we have flexibility, should we need it. I'm not quite ready to try to expand it further than two months' supply, though, as we just aren't organized enough and I don't want to waste any of it.

Jennie C. said...

That Walton Feed link is incredible! I love the link, through the fatfree.com site, to the USDA nutritional analyses. I've wondered about things like my whole wheat berries. They don't come with nutritional data. :-)

mere said...

Favorite Post Apocolyptic Fantasy sites? Besides yours? Oh Lordy, here we go:

http://www.countrysidemag.com/

http://www.manytracks.com/

http://www.backwoodshome.com/

http://www.foxfire.org/

http://www.lehmans.com/index.jsp

http://www.surviveoutdoors.com/

http://www.holmgren.com.au/

http://www.ozarkland.com/

http://mtbest.net/

http://www.westonaprice.org/splash_2.htm

And occasionally you may find me doing searches on "compound worthy" pieces of real estate in Texas, something along the lines of this:
http://12.168.161.3:81/Search/Details.aspx?li=36876&or=5&cp=8

Now I just need a "Don't tread on me" flag flying in my front yard.

I hope you're not sorry you asked! ;-)

mere

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

LOL You know I'm going to have to start calling Ernie "Survival Monkey" now. You may have just done irreparable harm to our marriage. ;)

On the forum Ernie posts to, when discussing all of the bad things that could possibly happen that would make food storage a good idea, the list always ends with, "or hordes of mutant zombies." Yeah, it's serious, but that doesn't mean it can't be funny.

Of course, none of this actually matters since in an emergency, the government can legally come in and confiscate everything but what the soldiers determine our family actually needs to survive. :P But if I mentioned that, I'd be leaving "funny" behind and going straight into rant mode, so I'll refrain. ;)

Jenni said...

I'll check those links later when I'm in a more serious mood:o) Right now I can tell you that I have seen Becket and remember it well enough to say that there is a definite resemblence though I never noticed before. Funny!

Anonymous said...

Wow, someone must be trying to tell me something! This is the third blog I've read this week that deals with this exact subject. I've got to admit, I'm sticking my head in the sand for now. Life's more pressing issues are calling for my attention. It's definitely something to think about though.
-Gretchen

Konkadoo said...

I had some good sites on our old computer favorites to prepare for Teotwawki. (The end of the world as we know it.) I lost a lot so I'm really glad to see the posts with sites to check out.

We've really been slacking lately on any type of preparation. I need some bleach, salt, and baking soda. OK, I need a lot more than that but it's amazing what you can do with bleach, salt and baking soda in a teotwawki moment.

Bridget said...

I've never thought much about long term food storage, I may have to check into that.

Ernest said...

The Survival Monkey says, "Get your house in order if you don't have some food stockpiled! The mutant zombie hordes are coming for you!"