Wednesday, May 14

ufda! - but things are getting better

I forgot "the rest of the story" from yesterday - LB asked me about it this morning (I called her yesterday for a little talk-me-down), and honestly, I think I blocked it while I was blogging.

Baby Jason took a tumble while we were in Sam's. Best we can tell, the spring on the locking mechanism came unhooked and so, while we were standing around the basket, enjoying seconds of the tortellini samples (it so helps to have cute kids - the sample ladies offer them extras just to keep them talking!), all of a sudden, the carseat flips up and over. He landed, face-down, on the floor. My heart stopped for a full 30 seconds, I think. The boys didn't fare much better. And every sample lady within view came flocking to make sure "that precious baby" was okay.

He is, thank God, just fine. The straps did their trick, kept him tucked safely within the walls of the carseat, and he, personally, never hit the floor. He shows no signs of discomfort, not having any trouble moving, holding up his head, or focusing on objects. We kept an eye on his eye dilation, looked for signs of lethargy, and put everyone on alert about projectile vomiting. Nothing. But I didn't sleep for squat last night from checking on him regularly. We finished our shopping with him in the sling, with both arms wrapped around him. Tight. He may end up with squished parts from me holding him so snugly!

Today... much more peaceful. We planted the salad bed! We took a slightly unconventional approach, since trying to make neat, perfectly spaced rows with four children and a dog just wasn't happening. We raked back the mulch, turned up a light layer of dirt, scattered seeds in the general vicinity of each section, raked it lightly, and put the mulch back. If it works, it should be a fantastic garden. If it doesn't work, well, we saved some seeds and can always try again. James made a chart which will go up on the corkboard display (um, which I need to make this weekend), John and Smidge watered it. Em, who has had a fever off-and-on for two days (molars, weee!) roamed back and forth from the garden bed to the porch, whining. It's part of the official Toddler Pulmonary Strength and Vocal Training Program, I think.

We dead-headed the rose bush. This is the first year we've had roses on it, and I'm shooting for a second bloom, if we can get it.

We checked on the fruit trees. This year, we're getting fruit! We finally have fruit on the two apple trees, the pears are growing beautifully, and what we've always though was a peach tree down by the propane tank - IS a peach tree - this year we have peaches! The elusive persimmon still hasn't surfaced, but we know it's out there, somewhere. (We found a few over-ripe persimmons our first fall here, but can't find the tree.)

One of the goals we've kept in the forefront of all we do on this property is to make the land healthy as we make it useful. It's a bountiful piece of earth, and, if properly cared for, will yield many wonderful things - not just for our table, but for our children, our life here, and beyond. So far, in spite of our woeful ignorance of Things Agricultural, we've seen many signs that what we're doing is working: new fruit, increased earthworm numbers, better drainage, more birds, fewer trees going down in storms, cleaner creek water, and several flowering plants that hadn't flowered in years now covered in blooms. It's exciting! Just imagine what we'll be able to do once we have some idea what we're doing! :-P The kids are getting a kick out of it, too, because they are a part of it. They help prune, clean, tend, and feed. They get out there and take part in all that happens, and they have a vested interest in the outcome of our work. This is why we bought the place. Definitely why we bought it.

11 comments:

H said...

How scary!

Braden had a similar fall when he was about 10 weeks old. A babysitter left him in his car seat, UNSTRAPPED, on her kitchen counter as she went to answer the door. She heard a "splat" and found him on the kitchen floor.

Rrrrrrr. My blood still boils thinking about it.

Anyway, he's fine now. No long-lasting effects, other than the ones on my nerves and temper.

We always pushed the babies inside the cart. I pushed the cart with a bbay, and Braden pushed the cart with *stuff*, until it got too heavy and then we switched.

Now, my question is, who was on the phone that got dropped into the tub? :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my ~ your poor heart! What an adrenaline rush, but rejoicing yae that all ended well.

The garden and property sound heavenly. What a wonderful journey for the children, and those of us that are blessed by your blog.

Create a great day, and sleep well tonight! All that fresh air, outdoor work, and post adrenaline surge, may lead to a wonderful nights rest. One of life’s sweet, sweet things.

Thanks for sharing,

Pamela

Dy said...

LOL, Hillary. I was on the phone with Meredith (The Ugly Trunk) - we'd just settled in for a nice morning visit and a cup of coffee (probably tea, or something healthier, for her) when the asteroid hit the Forever Home.

Urban Mom said...

Glad that things are getting better! When Urban Kid 1 was just a baby, Urban Dad fell asleep with her on his chest. When he shifted in his sleep a bit, SPLAT, she hit the floor. I think his panic took years off of him! It's amazing what little ones can endure unfazed while the adults are having heart failure. Happy that things are on the upswing for you!

mere said...

Oh! So it was me?! That's what happened. Okay.

Very Scary Event with Jason. I just don't trust springs and mechanisms and thingy's anymore...my imagination is way to overactive and all the very worst scenarios go through my head, so when I have little bitties they stay in the sling. I am so glad he's okay, and I hope you are too after that scare!

momanna98 said...

I think my heart stopped, too! I am so glad he's ok!
Congrats on the the yard success!

Anonymous said...

I can't even write what happened to my son when he was one...I just can't. But God is soooo merciful.

What I would have said when the phone fell into the tub could have been considered scientifically accurate, if somewhat profane. Glad you got new phones...

Patty

Bob and Claire said...

Oh, how very scary. Wow. I'm SOO glad everything is okay, but I know what you mean--I wouldn't have slept a wink either. You've had your share of excitement over the past few days!!

Once again, your description of your land makes me want to bolt out of NoVA and buy a bunch of acres somewhere. Maybe someday. Maybe by then you'll have written your book on how to rehab houses and reclaim property, so we'll have a bunch of steps to follow and that will be that, LOL! : )

Meliss said...

Oy Dy! Reading you last two posts together made me stressed out...and you LIVED it! I'm so sorry all that had to happen, but I'm glad that it is over and you are on to more pleasant occupations.

Konkadoo said...

Okay, that's enough to freak me out just thinking about it. How scary!

Regi said...

Wow... I am so glad to hear that Jason is ok. How very frightening! I wouldnt have been able to sleep either.

Your land sounds just beautiful...