Sunday, May 25

The Awesome Saturday

We got up, fed the kids, spot-cleaned uniforms (the boys wore their jerseys to Smidge's party - it made him feel very proud, and I think the big boys got a kick out of it, too. But, of course, they got mustard, ketchup, and grass stains all over them.) AND out the door for a 9:00 game! WOOHOO!!

WE ROCK!!

The field, glistening in the morning dew (or maybe that was just the glow of being on time?)...

was totally empty...

wha--?

I called the coaches. Turns out, there are no games this weekend. There was enough uproar that they moved all the games. Huh. Well, cool. It's nine o'clock, and we're up, awake, and ready to tackle... um... something else.

Zorak finished the lumber bids. He put up a post or two. He would have accomplished more if the rest of us didn't keep needing his help.

I tilled the front yard. By the time we're done with the tilling, I should have shoulders and forearms that would shame the old East German swim team! Yeah, that's a sexy look for summer. Until then, however, I'm so not there, yet. Zorak had to restart it for me, every time. At one point, I wanted to throw an old-fashioned temper tantrum because I. Cannot. get this thing to start. Makes me feel so helpless, and I hate it. Fortunately, he doesn't complain about having to stop what he's doing to come help me. He always says, "It's tricky" - which is probably a lie - then he smiles and winks at me and sometimes gives me a kiss. That takes some of the sting out of it.
John helped me plant the hostas. Smidge and Emily drowned them. I think we should have put water lilies there. We found some more hostas in the sloped yard, and since there isn't enough sun, they aren't very big, so I think we're going to move those today up to the foundation area.
John moved all the limbs out of the back yard. He tossed bricks out of the back yard. He dumped cement into the driveway. He helped tidy the house. That child is a Work Horse of the First Order. He's amazing when he puts on his game face.

James took care of JT most of the day - having him around is like having Super Nanny - he's fantastic. He finally got the baby settled on the porch with his bouncy seat, where he happily hung out talking to spider webs and hummingbirds for the rest of the afternoon. When James wasn't busy with the baby, he gathered all the pine cones from the yard for the bonfire next week, and kept busy doing tidy work on the garden bed and the rest of the meadow.

We took on the poison ivy. We won't win, but we can hold it at bay while the company is here.

We put grass seed down on a quarter of the lawn, and mulched it with straw. I've got to get pictures of that process today. Oh, my word, the kids are SO cute spreading the straw! James and John may not be big, but they can manhandle a bale with gusto. One flake is as big as EmBaby, and she feels SO BIG helping to spread it around. If I hadn't been afraid my shoulders would seize up and refuse to move, I'd have stopped working to just watch them do their thing.

We took a break to check our fruits. As we walked past one tree, I told Zorak, "I swear, that tree looks like it should BE something." He stopped, stared, and said, "Um, it is!" Hey, whaddya know! We've got another fruiting tree! It looks like it's a pear, although a different variety than *the* pear tree we've been working on all this time. How. Cool. The count is now up: two apples, two pears, one peach. It's like Christmas in May!

Can't wait to see what we accomplish and find today!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

9 comments:

Mom2legomaniacs said...

Wow, you totally put this crew to shame. In our defense, we have the sickies and can't do a lot. But even on a good day, wow! You all are totally amazing. A real example to the rest of lazy folks.

Jennie C. said...

Tragically, it seems that whenever you're on time, the powers that be pull the rug out from under you and change it all around. :-) I'm sure it gets to be frustrating and disappointing sometimes, so I just want to say: Yay, Dy!

Melora said...

Wow! You guys are amazing! Finding another fruit tree is So cool. I planted four cherry trees, but I think it will be a long time before they produce much.

I love how your kids like to pitch in with the work!

pilgrimama said...

Google for pictures of Asian pears-for some reason that fruit looks familiar...and then again maybe not.We used to have some fruit trees a long time ago. Marci

Becca said...

What a day!! I'm so impressed with everything you accomplish, and how your kids are right there working alongside you.

Mom2legomaniacs said...

I told DH how amazing you are. I said that you've got this little baby not even 2 months old and you are out tilling the whole yard! He wondered how old our babies would have to be for us to till the yard ;-)

Heidicrafts said...

They moved all of the games. Well I sure hope they told you when and where to find them.

Urban Mom said...

OMG, I'm exhausted just reading this! But everything looks great and well worth all of the efforts!

Anonymous said...

That picture looks like pomegranates to me.

My two cents. ;-) By the way, your blog always makes me exhausted.

~sdwtmer