Monday, May 26

Mmm-mmm, good.

We accomplished so much today. It was fantastic. But my favorite parts of the weekend had nothing to do with progress, or preparation, or anything on our To-Do List. My favorite parts were, as photographed...
* listening to James play the recorder as he sat cross-legged on the bumper buddy...
* watching John rig a contraption for carrying the bucket as he collected pine cones (Zorak and I agree that while he would do just fine on a deserted island, he's enjoy it way too much and douse the fire anytime he heard a plane -- we'd never hear from him again)...
* gardening with EmBaby, and wondering how it is that toddlers can beat the odds and get those little shoes on the wrong feet, every. single. time. But oh, what precious little backward feet...
* looking at Smidge and realizing he's just not much of a Smidge anymore -- he's growing up fast...

This is why we do it, you know. I need to print this photo collage out and tape a copy up in every room, for those times I can't quite wrap my mind around why we're doing this. I just need to remember that I won't find the answer on any list. I have to look around to really see the A-list priorities.

Of course, that said, we worked 'em like black-market child labor all weekend. :-) The upper meadow is mowed and de-limbed. The entire front yard is seeded and mulched. There are five happy little hostas planted in front of the porch. We dismantled the old stringers, removed another good chunk of the brick steps, gathered the bricks and cement debris from the sidewalk we'd pulled up, and took them down to begin filling the driveway holes and building up where the creek had washed away a good five feet of drive over the culvert. We tidied up the construction zone, gathered wood and kindling for a bonfire, and worked in the garden.

Zorak installed not one, but two, sillcocks at the upper end of the house -- one for the front yard and garden areas, one for the back yard. WOOHOO! (That one is almost as exciting to me as the day we got indoor plumbing!)

I finally made it to the fabric store for muslin, the missing key component in the reupholstery project that is destined to make Brand New Furniture sound like a great idea the next time something goes to pot around here, and velcro.

Then, the kids feasted on Otter Pops and played. Zorak and I are going to collapse.

Five days til the birthday bbq. Still trying to line up a bush hog. Need to firm up rental reservations tomorrow. Need to start the shopping list, and buy a grill. Oh, and finish that couch.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Melora said...

I love that collage! They are such cool kids. (And Katie Still puts her clogs on the wrong feet, Every Single Time.)

I'll have to google "sillcocks." How can there be something as wonderful as indoor plumbing and I don't know about it?

I was just thinking about you and Zorak's birthday celebration yesterday (while we were cooking out). It sounds like quite the event -- I look forward to reading about it!

mere said...

You are so productive! I was going to fold lots of laundry yesterday but my plans were foiled by the traditional unpredicted Memorial Day rain. The boys were feeling their oats and needed constant supervision, so we ended up watching old Disney movies, laughing, and generally having a blast doing nothing productive. It's good to have y'all as an example of how to keep them occupied. You're awsome!

mere

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am googling sillcocks, too!

Thanks for sharing. Heart smiles and learning opportunities, now that's a great blog!

Create a great day,

Pamela

Jenni said...

Wow! You guys are such an inspiration. And you took the time to notice all those little moments, too. I love that about you.

So, hey, you *did* comment on my anniversary post the other day. I remember it, and yet it is not there. There is one comment that says it has been deleted by the blog administrator. Isn't that me? I swear I did not delete any comments to that post. I think yours must have been it. Weird. Anyway, thanks:o)

Now I've got to go listen to "Whiskey in a Jar". I'm not familiar with it. Caleb's a big Metallica fan though and I'm sure either he's got it or I can find it online.

Jenni said...

Okay, watched the Youtube video. Uh, interesting, LOL. I must be old because it was mildly annoying to see them smashing things up and making a mess. I kept thinking, "And who is going to clean that?" On the other hand, I'm not that old because I really liked the song. It's a little different from the other Metallica I've heard--more upbeat, maybe a little less metal. I guess both of my boys are Metallica fans, too. Josh couldn't believe I hadn't heard the song before. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. Time to get some work done!