Sunday, May 11

HI!

Well, yesterday ganged up on me. (If one thing can be said to "gang up", that is.) Everything was going fine until we had an impromptu water-rescue, and that, while it turned out nicely, threw the entire rest of the day into utter chaos. There's just something about having to rip open a box of nursing pads in the checkout line and inconspicuously trying to stuff a couple in while letting your 7yo hold the screaming, hungry baby because you didn't grab a decent nursing shirt, and you can't get home to change (again) if that one gets soaked and you're already running very-very late for something you *swore* you'd be on time for... So, um, let's just say that we called it a successful day when, at the end, nobody was seriously injured or missing, and everybody knew they were loved. That's all it takes to make it a great day, right? (Sometimes, yes.) And to be honest, my 7yo ROCKS. That kid is awesome in a crisis! Wow.

Today? Much better. James and John had games out of town, thankfully both at the same field in the same town (woohoo! yes, it's the small things) so Zorak took them. Smidge had a game in town, so I took him, Em and JasonBaby... yeah, I'm thinkin' his morning went a bit more smoothly than mine. All three boys won their games. But more to the point, all three boys "showed up" for their games, and played well. They felt good, and rightly so. We came home, grilled kabobs, played in the dirt and the grass, and crashed hard at the end of the day.

Zorak and I watched Shaun of the Dead and laughed ourselves silly. I know, it seems weird to laugh at at zombie movie. But what can I say? Well, not much. We are weird, and it was funny. And I'm still giggling.

Then we realized it's been raining for a while, and gee, that lightning seems awfully frequent, and hey - whaddya say we check the weather channel? So, in case you're thinking of calling tomorrow - yes, there were tornadoes, yes, we're okay, and um, no, we didn't go to the basement because by the time we realized there were warnings and watches and alerts galore, they were almost expired. What's the sense in waking everybody at one in the morning, anyway? And it's not like we'd go down there without them! So, the family that's oblivious together... yeah...

So what about you guys? Having a good weekend? Tomorrow is Mother's Day! I'm getting a concrete pier and some extra lovin's. Probably will make pancakes since a little bribery never hurts. Do you know what you're getting/giving/doing for Mother's Day?

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

11 comments:

Deb said...

Happy Mother's Day, Dy!

We get up early and get bagels and go to a park for a picnic and kite-fly. (Ok, so I'M the only one up early. But I can wait.)

And then, we always go to our local minor league baseball park on Mother's Day Afternoon because I love baseball and I love this park's atmosphere. They hand mothers a carnation and the first 1000 kids a baseball on the way in. After the game, the moms leave the carnations with their husbands and go out into the outfield to play mother-child catch. And then the kids get to line up and run the bases with the team mascots. And when they touch home base, a player hands them a coupon for $5 off dinner at Chilis, to be used any time. Really good stuff.

pilgrimama said...

I feel for you deeply as a fellow nursing mom! The inserting nursing pads in checkout line hasn't happened to me yet but (watery mishaps) of similar embarrassment have. You're not alone :)
Yeah,we had one of those "sleeping near a real tornado" things happen to us this week. All I can say is, I'm new to the South! Kind of like the whole tick awareness thing.I learned the hard way!
Happy Mother's Day!
Marcella

Anonymous said...

May you be blessed beyond, well, beyond what you expected today on this Mother's Day. I always enjoy reading your blog. Abiga/Karen

Jenni said...

Happy Mother's Day!
I made these http://noblepig.com/2008/05/07/no-more-excuses.aspx for breakfast. YUM! I think I'm getting a nice quiet day around the house with my family doing whatever I want. (I mean me doing whatever I want, not my family doing whatever I want, although I could probably get that if I wanted.)

Oh, and I think maybe I'll have to watch Shaun of the Dead now. My brother said it was a good movie and that usually means to steer clear. Other recommendations of his have been Se7en, Reservoir Dogs, and Pulp Fiction. You I trust;o)

H said...

OK, um....

a) Do y'all own a weather radio? They are lifesavers here! They're the only reason I can sleep at night during storm season.

b) I haven't seen Shawn of the Dead, but we just watched their "Hot Fuzz" a couple of weeks ago. Have you seen it? We watched it, and then had to watch it again to pick up everything we'd missed. 3rd time through it we were still catching things. FAN-FLIPPIN'-TASTIC!!

Anonymous said...

happy mother's day

Anonymous said...

Hi Dy,

I love your blog! I'm in Alabama ne of Birmingham. Your blog reminds me of when my kids were younger (they're 16 and 12 now...my, how things change!)

Barbara

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Oh man, Dy, what a vision of you in the checkout line! I haven't ever done that, but I've gotten back out to the car and realized (way too late!) that I have large wet spots on my chest! :)

Happy Mother's Day to you!

L said...

In the Better Late Than Never category, my kids have decided to celebrate next Sunday as Mothers Day. Sometimes you just can't get it together on time, you know? ; )

Happy (belated, of course) Mothers Day, Dy!

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Heh. We love Shaun of the Dead.

Happy belated Mother's Day!

momanna98 said...

Diapers, check. Wipes, check. Nursing pads.... oops... TOTALLY forgot I even needed them. What number is this for me??? Thanks for the reminder. ;-)