Thursday, May 15

I thought I'd told you about that.

But I've just searched the blog, and it seems I never mentioned it. However, to tell tonight's story, I have to tell the first story, so...

The first Scout meeting we attended, back in December, turned out to be one where a Sheriff's Deputy spoke about arrest warrants, drug use, and other niceties of the trade. He was very good with the boys, and they were all riveted to the spot. One of the kids asked him what the most common warrant is that they issue. The Deputy said there's actually a lot of meth activity in this area...

Cue James, who listens, kind of, and joins in at random times, occasionally with disjointed information that may - or may not - be pertinent to the discussion. Our first contact with a new group of people seems to be a fairly regular, and not-as-random-as-I'd-prefer, occasion for sharing information out of context.

"Oh, yes! My Mom said meth is easy to make in your basement!"

*blink* *blink*

...Are ya gonna follow up on that comment?

Nope.

A few minutes later, as the Nice Officer explained that marijuana is a plant that is grown, and some of the other drugs are made from chemicals, James again decided to move straight to the head of the class (or right into the interrogation lamp, depending on your perspective) by offering:

"Yeah! My Mom said you can make meth with common household materials."

(Gah. Where IS this kid's mother, huh?!?)

Again, no further explanation. I'm out-to-here pregnant, with kids hanging all over, kind of dirty because we'd been working on the storm windows all day... and I'm wanting to DIE.

Now, what I'd said, in context, during one of our many "Drugs Will Destroy Your Soul And Make You Do Weird Things" discussions, was that meth is commonly made in homes in rural neighborhoods, and that the nice pharmacist asked me to sign for sinus medication because many common household materials, including OTC drugs, are used in the production of methamphetamines and the law enforcement agencies are trying to clamp down on that. THAT is what I said. Sounds totally different, doesn't it?

Right. So, here we are, six months later. I'm hoping the folks at Scouts are starting to get a feel for us (you know, like feeling fairly confident that we aren't whipping out crack in our spare time). James' den is talking about community, taxes, and law enforcement. His contribution to the discussion? Well, when the Scoutmaster pointed out that so-and-so's Dad (sitting right there - same guy who gave the talk in December) is a Deputy, James points out...

Well, if everybody followed the law, he'd be out of a job!

Sooo... this is the Economic Security Through Default Crime approach? Ahhh, yes. I'm kind of glad I wasn't there for that one. Thankfully, however, he's getting better. At least he followed this one up with,
"But, you know, we should all probably still follow the law."
Good save, kiddo! Good save.

They do learn. It's good stuff.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

14 comments:

Needleroozer said...

Oh that is a riot- even more funny now that I have met James. God, do I love him!!
Wanna have a phone date tomorrow morning? Maybe tea for me and coffee for you about 9:30 or 10 your time?
Hugs,
LB

Mom2legomaniacs said...

LOL! Kids say the darnedest things don't they? I had older with me for errands one day. I stopped in the liquor store to get some wine. I hadn't been in for a long time and was looking for something. When I mentioned it was there the last time I was in but that it had been a while so I might have been mistaken, Jake popped up with,"Yeah, she doesn't come in much. Mom's not a drunk." LOL! Whew, glad he cleared that up for all of us!

Staci Eastin said...

Oh my. I've had those kind of moments. Too funny.

Rebel said...

Bwaaa Haaa Haaa Oh dear, I nearly wet my pants laughing!

Jenni said...

Too funny! I would have been beet red, but I would have been laughing.

Anonymous said...

At least I'm not the only one! Emmy said "Daddy you better make sure Mommy doesn't drink more than three beers or she won't feel well tomorrow." Ok, not a ringing endorsement of my self control, but the best part was that I was also giant pregnant at the time. Gotta love them!

Konkadoo said...

Oh, I almost spit out my coffee at some of that. ROFLOL!

mere said...

Hilarious! Oh, the things kids say!

mere

Urban Mom said...

Thanks for a much needed laugh today!

Meliss said...

Hilarious! Glad that he is at least learning to follow up with clarifying comments!

P.S. FWIW, I changed my blogger identity to match my WTM boards identity. (melkhi --> meliss)

H said...

There's a joke about libertarians and drugs in here somewhere....

Thanks for a great laugh today! I will be chuckling all day over this. :)

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Sure, Dy, of COURSE you were explaining why you had to sign for cold medicine. We all know you're secretly running a meth lab in that very frightening basement of yours. :)

Heidicrafts said...

Sounds like me when I was in 3rd grade and didn't want to write my cursive exactly the way the teacher was showing. What do you say when a smart little 9yo says, "But if everyone wrote exactly the same way, we could forge each other's checks and steal so much money."

(And my new PC arrived today, after a week of web-viewed e-mail on my husband's computer...)

Karen said...

LOL - That is awesome. I love the things kids say.