Thursday, May 22

No Title Today

Can't think of one. However, is there anything more relaxing than a canopy of Dogwood leaves?Saw the periodontist yesterday. He said the underlying tooth is surprisingly intact, structurally, and thinks a new crown can be reset on it. He referred me to a new dentist when I expressed my concerns with the one who had originally referred me to the perio. (The upside of getting a dental referral from a periodontist is that he sees the work of all the dentists around, and can steer you in a direction that may fit well with your needs! I *really* hope this pans out!) I showed him the concrete-like slab my last dentist put in, and he said this new guy does fantastic restorative work. Say a prayer, please? I go in today at 1:30.

I've accomplished diddly-squat around here, lately, other than treading water and barely keeping up with feeding and cleaning. This weekend, I'm locking the children outside with little satchels of snacks, bottles of water, and a GPS so that I can finish up:

* the couch (the book I mentioned last week did seem to help, at least with pointing out what an idiot I am, and where I've gone wrong thus far - so, that's good),

* the covers for the barstools (my initial plan hasn't worked so well - they're a PITB to get off to wash, and so, they don't get washed -- ew),

* hopefully the new curtains for our room (because the current blankets-on-nails motif is just soooo early "Broke Undergrad"),

* and curtain trim for EmBaby's room (she's had Thomas curtains this whole time -- not imperative to correct, but would be nice, I'm sure).

Hopefully, we can also borrow a tiller and get some seed planted, as well as put the two little hostas in the ground before they go into total shock and die back completely. I still have to go talk to the neighbors about keeping their chickens in check for a couple of weeks, so the seeds (both lawn and garden) can take root instead of becoming chicken feed. Not looking forward to that, but I think I've just made it bigger in my head than it needs to be. I *will* suck it up and take care of that before Saturday. (Hold me accountable!)

And, as you can see, Smidge is still into both baseball, and posing for pictures (he actually scrambled to get his glove when he saw me stalking him with the camera!)...


Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

pilgrimama said...

Oh!! He is very adorable in that picture! Marci

Jennie C. said...

Confrontations with neighbors...ugh. Hope it all goes well and they are among the reasonable people of the world!

Dy said...

Jennie, well, we already know they aren't horribly reasonable. Or friendly. But, we aren't going to ask that they keep the chickens off our property indefinitely. I understand that, barring the rock wall I'd love to build, it's almost impossible to do, and I can appreciate that. Plus, we actually kind of like having them around - they keep the ticks down, they're fun to watch (the chicks this week have been hilarious), and they're good for the compost bin. It's just... I'd really like to get rid of the 40' mud moat around the house! LOL! Hopefully, I can explain it to the neighbors as easily as I can explain it to you all, right?

Marci, thanks. :-) He makes me smile.
Dy

Pant Salesman said...

Your to do list sounds ambitious and like it will be wonderful to get it all done. And I agree with Marci--Smidge is absolutely too cute for words!

Jenni said...

Oh! I hope this dentist works out for you, Dy! I'll say a prayer for your little diplomatic mission as well.

As for curtains, one of the main reasons we moved to the country was so we wouldn't need any:o) We have one curtain in the house and it hangs across the sliding glass door in the master bathroom since we do allow neighbors to ride their horses through our property and we like to have the bathroom available even during the daytime when they might be riding by. Wait, scratch that. We also have curtains in the basement, but they are serving as temporary (I hope) doors to the kids rooms and bathrooms. I suppose people could sneak up to the house and peak through our windows at night, but we would probably be alerted to it by the dogs.

And yes, there is one thing more relaxing than a canopy of dogwood leaves: a canopy of fluttering cottonwood leaves. I could stare at them for hours. This morning Na and I read the first chapter of The First Four Years and I had to smile at Laura's description of standing in the pantry staring at the trembling cottonwood leaves outside the window and the pleasure it brought her. On a bright summer day, any green canopy will do though. Do you have that hammock up yet?

melissa said...

You guys always have so much going on! I'll be praying for you on the whole dental thing. Ugh. If the neighbors are unreasonable.....could you leave the dog out??? ;-)