Tuesday, May 13

Oh, for the love of Pete.

I don't know Pete, personally, but I hope he's happy, now, with all the love I've wished him the past 48 hours.

We have new house phones. We've needed to replace ours for a while, but yesterday there was this HUGE straw, and this camel with spinal injuries, and a lot of poop... fortunately (?) it wasn't camel poop... I don't know. It's all relative, really.

So, my plan yesterday was to strip the forms from the weekend's piers. But I couldn't find the square bits. I can't find anything down there. I gave up before I dismantled the forms entirely and left Zorak further behind than when he finished Sunday.

We were going to dig the next hole and start tearing off the back steps. (I really do hate brick. Oh, how I loathe brick. There are so many ant beds inside those steps! YUCK!) But EmBaby needed a bath first, and Smidge needed to get dressed. All was going fairly well, with just a glitch or two here and there. Then, out of nowhere...

One kid had diarrhea.

Em needed to poop.

Since the sole toilet was occupied, why not use the tub? The tub she was bathing in... sure, sounds like a plan.

So Smidge, mostly naked at this point, is running up and down the hall, yelling, "Emily POOPED!" John is trapped in the room with the vile concoction, probably wondering why he continues to eat jalapenos in such large quantities.

Em's standing in the tub, crying.

I pull her out, pull the drain on the tub...

...and drop my phone in the tub.

Cue Angry Baby! Jason wakes up, evidently realizing he got hungry ten minutes earlier. Oy, he's ticked. Smidge is still playing Town Crier, announcing the Great Poop Incident of '08. John's out of toilet paper. I can't find James, and I'm not sure the phone is worth rescuing.

James brings toilet paper. I dig out the phone (fear of electrocution should someone fall into the vile water overrode my squeamishness). I try to redirect Smidge to Get. Dressed. John's starting to look a little light-headed. Emily's still crying.

We have exactly eight drops of bleach left. OK, it'll have to do. Bleach the tub, delegate James to change Jason, threaten Smidge with banishment if he doesn't stop with the play-by-play. John, bless him, tries to switch out the toilet paper roll. (I love that they will replace the empty roll, I do. Just... not. while. you're STILL on the commode, ya know?) The bar falls in. Yeah, it did.

If I'd have thought it would clear the p-trap, I'd have just flushed it.

I'm not entirely sure how I got through the whole situation without imploding, or teaching the kids new bad words, but I did. It helps that we've got two older children who can understand when Mom explains, "OK, hey, listen, *everything* is falling down around my ears at the moment. I need you to do x,y, and probably z twice, to help me get it braced back up. Can you do that for me?" Once they stop laughing (they have a beautiful grasp of the absurd), they do help. They don't panic.

I *had* to go get bleach. Simply had to. There is no way I'm going to end up in this exact situation again, folks. So, we got Smidge dressed, tended to Jason, re-washed EmBaby, took a few deep breaths, then loaded up and ran to Sam's. We're now the proud owners of four and a quarter gallons of bleach (should last us a good year or two, right?), some quick-fix food for game night (which, of course, we consumed last night), and another large bag of toilet paper (we were disturbingly close to running out).

This is the third day in a row that's thrown me a few curve balls. I'm so very thankful to have this family, these kids, and that wonderful, wonderful bed to collapse into at the end of days like that. I'm guessing a good sense of humor doesn't hurt, any.

The new phones are charging now. They're lovely. They've never been pooped on. And, they have an intercom feature. I think I may just put one in the bathroom (but you know, up high, and glued to the wall) to facilitate Smidge's journalistic leanings. What do you think?

Today, we're tackling those steps! (And Zorak showed me where he hides the "hot tools" - the ones he's currently using - so maybe I can be a little more helpful down there on the balcony today.)

Kiss those babies ~ they may be what keeps you from the asylum one day! ;-)
~Dy

10 comments:

Staci Eastin said...

Um, Oh, my. That's about all I can say.

Laura said...

Oh My! I've had a few days like that - thankfully, they're rare. Hope today is a lovely one for you!

Anonymous said...

Oh my ~ what an adventure! You navigated with such grace and painted fun pictures on my "mind screen". Yae Mighty Mom:)

Thanks for sharing.

Pamela

Needleroozer said...

Oh, you poor baby! If only I was still on vacation, I would be there and have helped you to be able to laugh so much faster!
Hang in there baby- you will find your 5 kid groove soon, I promise!
Hugs,
LB

mere said...

Yay! New phones are wonderful! You'll look back on those kinds of days and laugh. It is funny in a slapstick kind of way.

mere

momanna98 said...

Thanks for the laugh! You have no idea how much I needed that!

Amber said...

Oh my, oh my! I think stocking up on bleach and TP was definitely the way to go after that whole incident... cause you know there's just got to be some sort of variation hiding around the corner somewhere! Thank goodness for helpful older children and a sense of humor!!

Bob and Claire said...

Oh man!! What a day!!! Wow. Yeah, lots of bleach is a good plan. In fact, since you have alerted me to this possible scenario, I think I'd better go check out my bleach supplies, LOL.

On a positive note, I am sure you will really enjoy your new phones! New technology and all that, and I bet you would have waited for awhile longer had you not been forced to replace them!

Here's to a less poop-filled day today!

Urban Mom said...

Oh. My. Gawd. Amazing how it all happens at ONCE, isn't it? Enjoy the new phones!
=-)

Anonymous said...

All I can say right now is
OMG
Good luck, and
Enjoy the phones!
Oh yeah, and HI!!!!!
:-)
PG