Wednesday, January 30

Belated Bobcat Shots

I finally had a chance to upload and edit. (Or, if I must be completely upfront, I finally found the camera.) These were taken at the boys' pack meeting last week, when they both received their Bobcat Badges. (Which are still dangling precariously upside down, awaiting that Good Turn so they can be flipped and "official". I am so loathe to give up that leverage. Truly, I am.)
However, here they are, trying not to erupt in a fit of excitement and whooping, while they go through the ceremony.

But when it came time to do Dad, they were all business. (Actually, I got a stripe, too. The Scoutmaster was going to do two stripes on Zorak, but James asked if they could do one on him and one on me. I was holding the camera, so there is no photo of James doing my stripe. But I still smile a big, goofy smile when I think of it. They're such thoughtful boys.)

And then, they beamed...

Well, John beamed. James... James is just feelin' pretty cool, right about there. It's funny how they processed their new status differently. (Not that the difference stopped them from springing to the Suburban like leopards on crack when we left, but they do look so different, here.)
It was a good evening. A good experience. A rite of passage for them, but as Zorak said, also a big step for parents to see their children out there, doing things, achieving things on their own... suddenly seeming so capable and so... BIG. It's good, isn't it? Yep. Sure is.
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is truly an awesome shot of father and son. James is concentrating on his father's paint, and Zorak is looking proudly into his eldest son's eyes.

Congrats!

Dy said...

Thanks, Josh. Zorak is a truly amazing father - he absolutely adores the children, and the feeling is mutual. It's fun to watch. :-)

BTW, thank you for your input on the rash. I appreciate it, and thanks for stopping by to visit on our little front porch. It's nice to meet you.
Dy

melissa said...

Oh, Dy this is great stuff. Looks like you have a good pack. And I agree w/ Josh, awesome father/son shot, there. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

You as well. I've found lots of healthy love and inspiration in the Homeschooling Moms community. To appreciate life, to love the kids, and to take the ups and downs of life as they come at ya. Hope to stick around.

Laney said...

Oh, Dy!
I can't believe how big the boys are! Awesome pictures. :-)

H said...

I'm thirding Josh here - fantastic picture above! :)

Melora said...

Great pictures! Looks like it was a fun ceremony -- makes me wish Travis had stuck it out with Scouts, but maybe later!

mere said...

Aaaah...good times. It's great that you have pictures and that you share them with us. They all look so proud.

mere

Anonymous said...

I think I need to ask a stupid question. Why did they paint their faces? I don't think I understood something. Whatever the reason, boy they look so darn cute. And the look on James' face - priceless.
Totally cute kids, Dy!

hugs,
dawn

Heidicrafts said...

The face paint is part of the ceremony to mark their first step into Cub Scouting - earning their Bobcat badges.

In years past, (or not so past) some packs had parents turn over the whole boy during the badge-pinning ceremony. National is completely against that, for safety reasons. However, our pack had done this until the year my son earned his Bobcat. I scanned the Internet and started the face painting ceremony instead. And even then, one boy abstained from the paint because he didn't like (at all!) the feel.

Keep asking questions.